• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ccw denied because of driving history?

Curmudgeon

I believe most responsible members of this site would poo-poo this loophole, so I realize the risk at stating this openly.... and this site is dedicated to OPEN CARRY. You might find more info offered up on a CC site.
BUT,
Look into a Florida non-res concealed permit. I handled mine entirely by mail. It took a couple weeks, and they mailed it back to me.

Thanks buddy. I will look into it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

As of very recently PA only honors a Florida permit for Florida residents.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Tactical9mm

Applied for my permit via Maine...see what happens

If I understand this correctly, you are a Pennsylvania resident that wishes to carry in your home State by using a non-resident permit/license from a State that has reciprocity with Pennsylvania (without possessing a valid in-State resident permit)?

I think in these times, this is frowned upon, let alone the legality of it. I would strongly recommend checking to see if Pennsylvania allows this, before you proceed any further. Most States that I'm familiar with have stipulated reciprocity is for RESIDENTS only. Non-residents are SOL (unless you have a non-resident permit directly with the State that you will be carrying in, of course).

Using Maine as an example, http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html
clearly indicates "Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits".

New Hampshire is also the same; our reciprocity is for RESIDENTS of reciprocity States only.

If Pennsylvania allows non-resident reciprocity then this door MIGHT be open to you. I would doubt that it is, however.

Before carrying in your State, you should always know (and follow) any applicable laws. This thread suggests that you did not, and violated law(s) that could have turned you into a felon if caught.

Not smart. Worrisome.

Additionally, your quoted comment that I replied to would suggest that you already submitted your Maine non-resident application along with the fee? How did you answer the question in the non-resident application about refusals in any other jurisdictions?

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Tactical9mm, although you raise an interesting point the PA statutes are quite clear on this. Our new 2A-unfriendly AG is attempting to change this, but as of today a PA resident is OK to CC with a non-res permit from another state. One exception is Florida. Maine is good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tactical9mm

Curmudgeon, thank you for putting that subject to bed for me. We had a recent thread in the New Hampshire section of this board that touched on the topic.

I think what is ultimately driving that bus is that the States want money (What else is new, right?). Doing it like they do with the non-resident reciprocity thing insures they get a share of the take, and doesn't allow for freebies.

Doesn't seem fair to Pennsylvania, though. A New Hampshire non-resident pistol license can CC in Pennsylvania, but not vice-versa in New Hampshire (or Maine, apparently).

Last edited:

Tarik

If I understand this correctly, you are a Pennsylvania resident that wishes to carry in your home State by using a non-resident permit/license from a State that has reciprocity with Pennsylvania (without possessing a valid in-State resident permit)?

I think in these times, this is frowned upon, let alone the legality of it. I would strongly recommend checking to see if Pennsylvania allows this, before you proceed any further. Most States that I'm familiar with have stipulated reciprocity is for RESIDENTS only. Non-residents are SOL (unless you have a non-resident permit directly with the State that you will be carrying in, of course).

Using Maine as an example, http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html
clearly indicates "Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits".

New Hampshire is also the same; our reciprocity is for RESIDENTS of reciprocity States only.

If Pennsylvania allows non-resident reciprocity then this door MIGHT be open to you. I would doubt that it is, however.

Before carrying in your State, you should always know (and follow) any applicable laws. This thread suggests that you did not, and violated law(s) that could have turned you into a felon if caught.

Not smart. Worrisome.

Additionally, your quoted comment that I replied to would suggest that you already submitted your Maine non-resident application along with the fee? How did you answer the question in the non-resident application about refusals in any other jurisdictions?

I answered honestly. Said I was denied due to driving with a suspended licence in 2009.

Sent from my Torque

Jared

I believe most responsible members of this site would poo-poo this loophole, so I realize the risk at stating this openly.... and this site is dedicated to OPEN CARRY. You might find more info offered up on a CC site.
BUT,
Look into a Florida non-res concealed permit. I handled mine entirely by mail. It took a couple weeks, and they mailed it back to me.

First off, it's not a "loophole", it's the plain reading of the law and members of Harrisburg have tried to "close this loophole" and it's never become law.

Secondly, in PA, you need a license to carry from any state to conceal or OPEN carry in a vehicle.

Please consider getting your facts straight...