Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full size 1911's anyone?

Full size 1911's anyone?

Who here carries a full size 1911? I just bought my first, a Tisas m1911, and it is going to be my open carry as soon as it has proven itself up to the task. I will still CC my CZ82, but the lure of that big .45 was just too much for me to resist. The pistol has gotten rave reviews everywhere I have been able to find it online. I bought mine from Buds Gun Shop just hours before they sold out their latest shipment. Here is a pic of mine after a quick clean-up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new1911.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	10094

It arrived last Friday and I haven't gotten to fire it yet. Getting a little anxious!

Quote Originally Posted by websterz View Post
    Who here carries a full size 1911? I just bought my first, a Tisas m1911, and it is going to be my open carry as soon as it has proven itself up to the task. I will still CC my CZ82, but the lure of that big .45 was just too much for me to resist. The pistol has gotten rave reviews everywhere I have been able to find it online. I bought mine from Buds Gun Shop just hours before they sold out their latest shipment. Here is a pic of mine after a quick clean-up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new1911.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	10094

It arrived last Friday and I haven't gotten to fire it yet. Getting a little anxious!
    Love my OLD Llama 1911 45...works flawlessly (unlike its owner)...but like its owner, its got its bump, bruses, rubs, nicks, squeeky parts, etc...

Congratulations on your new 1911, I have owned several over the years, different brands. First thing to do is a function test on you gun, make sure that the safeties and the gun is in proper function. Do this unloaded. You can check the firing pin strike with a eraser pencil. As long as you use good factory ammo you should not have problems. Unless you are going to reload yourself you should avoid reloads.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I carry a Para GI expert most of the time, with a Glock 26 as my other carry gun. I love the 1911 and being a taller man I think that it works well or me personally. I'm about 6'3" and 210 lbs so even when I need to conceal it, it works ok. The other thing about any full size gun when your OCing is that it's noticed, there is no trying to make it blend in, and it may make some people uncomfortable but that's ok for me. It is a conversation starter and I usually get the head nod from the older gentleman that appreciate the 1911. Even though I only have 8 +1 I still won't trade it for anything else, as of right now...
    Active Duty Army, Ft. Sill Oklahoma, 10+ years
    OKOCA Facebook Page www.facebook.com/opencarryok

90% I OC my Kimber full size 1911. Other 10% is one of my Glocks. Both look good out in the open. :-)

Full size 1911's anyone?

I am currently carrying this full-size Rock Island Armory beauty...

RIAs are great 1911s and affordable too!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Full size 1911's anyone?

Full size is too long for me when I am seated in my truck all day... Muzzle catches on everything, Govt models fit me better for driving/carry

I carry my full size spingfeild 1911 50 percent of the time, the other 50 percent I carry my Springfield tactical model xd.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Congratulations on your new 1911, I have owned several over the years, different brands. First thing to do is a function test on you gun, make sure that the safeties and the gun is in proper function. Do this unloaded. You can check the firing pin strike with a eraser pencil. As long as you use good factory ammo you should not have problems. Unless you are going to reload yourself you should avoid reloads.
    I ran the function checks right out of the box, and again after the detail strip and reassembly. Everything is cleaned, lubed, working properly and ready for the range tomorrow.

I am planning to reload range ammo for the .40 S&W and .45 acp once I accumulate enough brass. Both reloads will be with good commercial FMJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I am currently carrying this full-size Rock Island Armory beauty...

RIAs are great 1911s and affordable too!
    Mighty purdy!!

I carry m Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer about 85% of the time, and my Ruger LCP 100% of the time. Soo yea I carry both about 85% of the time. You get used to it.

I will be carrying my Kimber Custom II once she's all broken in and operational!

RO 100% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Okie View Post
    RO 100% of the time

Good to see you over here Okie.
    Darren

Pass the popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeeeeeeee View Post
    Good to see you over here Okie.
    Good to be here my friend

RO 100% of the time

Just curious, how do you grab your knife or flashlight at the same time as your side arm if the need should arise when they are both on the same side? Like I said just curious, carry how you want too but just seems to me that if its dark and the need to draw both gun and flashlight would be very difficult with them both on the same side, or if even with the low probability of a gun grab protecting your gun with you strong hand while drawing your knife to stab the bonehead trying to disarm you would again be very difficult.. To each his own, but is an observation I see from your pic. Those items I also carry but are accessible from my weak hand for those very reasons as well as a firearm that can be drawn by my weak hand.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to see that you carry but was curious how you manage those scenarios or if they were part of your defensive plan. Carry on and carry often.
    Stay safe and God bless.

Everyone will hate you because of me.
    But not a hair of your head will perish.
    Stand firm, and you will win life.
    (Luke 21:17-19 NIV)

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.",
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms."Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Robert318 View Post
    Just curious, how do you grab your knife or flashlight at the same time as your side arm if the need should arise when they are both on the same side? Like I said just curious, carry how you want too but just seems to me that if its dark and the need to draw both gun and flashlight would be very difficult with them both on the same side, or if even with the low probability of a gun grab protecting your gun with you strong hand while drawing your knife to stab the bonehead trying to disarm you would again be very difficult.. To each his own, but is an observation I see from your pic. Those items I also carry but are accessible from my weak hand for those very reasons as well as a firearm that can be drawn by my weak hand.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to see that you carry but was curious how you manage those scenarios or if they were part of your defensive plan. Carry on and carry often.
    I hadn't thought of that my friend, but you are right it would be rough getting to both.

I hadn't thought of that my friend, but you are right it would be rough getting to both.
    Not if you are a one armed man...
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Not if you are a one armed man...
    There is that for sure my friend

To put it in perspective, I once saw a one armed man shoot a semi auto on the range. He would drop the mag, reholster, and then insert another mag before drawing again to shoot. Naturally both gun and mags were on his right side. I don't have the foggiest how he would hold a flashlight, unless he used his mouth.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

The picture is my everyday load, Para-Ordnance P-14 5" double stack 1911, 2 spare mags all loaded with Corbon DPX and my new CRKT M16-14ZSF, 30 year old Spyderco Endura and Surefire E2D LED Defender.

I carried the Spyderco as I said for ~30 years and keep it in the right front pocket for everyday use, you don't breakup a 30 year relationship over night.
    The CRKT I bought because I can carry it hinge down in the left front and the "speed flipper" studs on the blade can be used to open on drawing, faster than any switchblade, and is not used for casual work to keep it scaple sharp.
    I usually wear 5.11 cargo pants and the Surefire is in the left Mag pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	everyday carry.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	10128  

I am a 1911 fan myself, and two of the three guns I own are 1911s. My daily carry piece being a Kimber CDP II. My other being a Series 70 Colt Combat Commander, which stays at home due to it rusts too easily. Both of these are short barrel 1911s, one being 4.0 and the other 4.25. I am planning on adding a full-sized 1911 to my arsenal once I get my truck paid off, later this year. All of my holsters are open bottom designs, so will not need to buy another to make it work. Probably going to be another Kimber, but we'll just have to see when the time comes.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 03-17-2013 at 02:08 PM.

I carry my Springfield 1911 all the time. I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB holster, whether I'm carrying open or concealed. It's a very comfortable holster. I have a Fobus, a Blackhawk cloth holster, and the one that came with the gun, but I like the CrossBreed much better. I'm not very big either, 5'11'', 215pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    I carry my Springfield 1911 all the time. I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB holster, whether I'm carrying open or concealed. It's a very comfortable holster. I have a Fobus, a Blackhawk cloth holster, and the one that came with the gun, but I like the CrossBreed much better. I'm not very big either, 5'11'', 215pounds.
    I didn't know blackhawk made canvas holsters, though I own a few canvas holsters for around the yard. I don't care for them much while out and about town.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    I agree about the CrossBreed, most comfortable holster I own. Even carrying open, I still prefer it over a regular belt slide holster. With your belt holding the whole package tight to your side insied you pants, feels almost like you have nothing there at all. Very easy to forget you even have a gun on you with this holster, only holster I have that feels so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast