• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Full size 1911's anyone?

websterz

Who here carries a full size 1911? I just bought my first, a Tisas m1911, and it is going to be my open carry as soon as it has proven itself up to the task. I will still CC my CZ82, but the lure of that big .45 was just too much for me to resist. The pistol has gotten rave reviews everywhere I have been able to find it online. I bought mine from Buds Gun Shop just hours before they sold out their latest shipment. Here is a pic of mine after a quick clean-up:

new1911.jpg

It arrived last Friday and I haven't gotten to fire it yet. Getting a little anxious! :shocker:

jrz_dad

Who here carries a full size 1911? I just bought my first, a Tisas m1911, and it is going to be my open carry as soon as it has proven itself up to the task. I will still CC my CZ82, but the lure of that big .45 was just too much for me to resist. The pistol has gotten rave reviews everywhere I have been able to find it online. I bought mine from Buds Gun Shop just hours before they sold out their latest shipment. Here is a pic of mine after a quick clean-up:

View attachment 10094

It arrived last Friday and I haven't gotten to fire it yet. Getting a little anxious! :shocker:

Love my OLD Llama 1911 45...works flawlessly (unlike its owner)...but like its owner, its got its bump, bruses, rubs, nicks, squeeky parts, etc... :)

WalkingWolf

Congratulations on your new 1911, I have owned several over the years, different brands. First thing to do is a function test on you gun, make sure that the safeties and the gun is in proper function. Do this unloaded. You can check the firing pin strike with a eraser pencil. As long as you use good factory ammo you should not have problems. Unless you are going to reload yourself you should avoid reloads.

ethorman

I carry a Para GI expert most of the time, with a Glock 26 as my other carry gun. I love the 1911 and being a taller man I think that it works well or me personally. I'm about 6'3" and 210 lbs so even when I need to conceal it, it works ok. The other thing about any full size gun when your OCing is that it's noticed, there is no trying to make it blend in, and it may make some people uncomfortable but that's ok for me. It is a conversation starter and I usually get the head nod from the older gentleman that appreciate the 1911. Even though I only have 8 +1 I still won't trade it for anything else, as of right now...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I am currently carrying this full-size Rock Island Armory beauty...
tenape3u.jpg

RIAs are great 1911s and affordable too!

JDPrice

Full size is too long for me when I am seated in my truck all day... Muzzle catches on everything, Govt models fit me better for driving/carry

robert1970

I carry my full size spingfeild 1911 50 percent of the time, the other 50 percent I carry my Springfield tactical model xd.

websterz

Congratulations on your new 1911, I have owned several over the years, different brands. First thing to do is a function test on you gun, make sure that the safeties and the gun is in proper function. Do this unloaded. You can check the firing pin strike with a eraser pencil. As long as you use good factory ammo you should not have problems. Unless you are going to reload yourself you should avoid reloads.

I ran the function checks right out of the box, and again after the detail strip and reassembly. Everything is cleaned, lubed, working properly and ready for the range tomorrow. :banana:

I am planning to reload range ammo for the .40 S&W and .45 acp once I accumulate enough brass. Both reloads will be with good commercial FMJ's.

1911 Range Officer

I carry m Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer about 85% of the time, and my Ruger LCP 100% of the time. Soo yea I carry both about 85% of the time. You get used to it.

Robert318

RO 100% of the time:D

Just curious, how do you grab your knife or flashlight at the same time as your side arm if the need should arise when they are both on the same side? Like I said just curious, carry how you want too but just seems to me that if its dark and the need to draw both gun and flashlight would be very difficult with them both on the same side, or if even with the low probability of a gun grab protecting your gun with you strong hand while drawing your knife to stab the bonehead trying to disarm you would again be very difficult.. To each his own, but is an observation I see from your pic. Those items I also carry but are accessible from my weak hand for those very reasons as well as a firearm that can be drawn by my weak hand.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to see that you carry but was curious how you manage those scenarios or if they were part of your defensive plan. Carry on and carry often.

Okie

Just curious, how do you grab your knife or flashlight at the same time as your side arm if the need should arise when they are both on the same side? Like I said just curious, carry how you want too but just seems to me that if its dark and the need to draw both gun and flashlight would be very difficult with them both on the same side, or if even with the low probability of a gun grab protecting your gun with you strong hand while drawing your knife to stab the bonehead trying to disarm you would again be very difficult.. To each his own, but is an observation I see from your pic. Those items I also carry but are accessible from my weak hand for those very reasons as well as a firearm that can be drawn by my weak hand.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to see that you carry but was curious how you manage those scenarios or if they were part of your defensive plan. Carry on and carry often.
I hadn't thought of that my friend, but you are right it would be rough getting to both.

WalkingWolf

To put it in perspective, I once saw a one armed man shoot a semi auto on the range. He would drop the mag, reholster, and then insert another mag before drawing again to shoot. Naturally both gun and mags were on his right side. I don't have the foggiest how he would hold a flashlight, unless he used his mouth.