• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco...open carry prohibited

FreeInAZ

I support Sams Club. Over the years I've heard people having random issues with Costco. My advice to everyone is join the pro-gun buyers club company Walmart is far superior.

Cosidering the massive amounts of tin foil you go through making hats.... Wal-Mart it is then... :p

Just kidding. :D

FreeInAZ

You left out the just kidding part of my post. There are many, many corporations that are not the pillar of 2A rights. The question now becomes - how to sway them to become one?

DanM

There are many, many corporations that are not the pillar of 2A rights. The question now becomes - how to sway them to become one?

I've been a managerial employee of business corporations since 1996. Business corporations are about focusing on what they are in business for, and generating revenue doing their business to as much of an extent over their expenses as possible (i.e., maximizing profit). And that is all. And that's as it should be.

How do you make corporations support 2A? By them seeing that support of 2A has a demonstrable positive effect on their profit, or lack of support of 2A is demonstrably negative to their profit.

That is all there is to it, because that is all business corporations are about. Trust me, I know (at least from the perspective of well-run, successful corporations).

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Well then I guess we could show them the starbuck's model. My understanding is since their "follow state law" tact taken a few years back there profits have grown if I'm not mistaken?

FreeInAZ

I believe that the gun policies of businesses like Starbucks and Walmart come from legal expediency more than love for 2A. These businesses have stores in all fifty states and if they didn't "follow state law" they would have to develop policies for each state. Employees would have to be trained in the policy of the state where they were going to work. Fifty different posters would have to be printed. It's much easier to let state law prevail.

Ok - since this sub-forum is now stop #1 for nit-pickers; any corporation with a location anywhere can invoke private property rules if they so choose to do so. So no they would not have to develop policies for each state. They could just say no guns on any of our property period! I and others here like (John & Mike the OCDO site owners) salute companies like starbucks etc.. for not invoking private property rules.;)

Happy now?:p

DanM

Well then I guess we could show them the starbuck's model. My understanding is since their "follow state law" tact taken a few years back there profits have grown if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, that tactic follows my observation. Most business corporations act according to financial bottom-line effect. They don't act simply because something is the right thing to do with regard to upholding people's rights. Exhibits A, B, C, etc. proving this are all the laws on the books that seek to restrain corporate abuses in the areas of employment, environmental protection, accounting and financial fraud, etc., etc., etc.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

FreeInAZ

There is NO mention of agreeing to any policies when you get a Costco membership. The only thing that mentions firearms is an internal document that is not available anywhere unless you ask for it. Here is my experience. I closed my membership.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1S7tc0aLDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKNMB6gOJyM

This was the Madison Heights store.

My family drives a good 15 miles past COSTCO to go to SAM's club for the same reasons. +1 SLM

FreeInAZ

Costco bans guns. Old news. /thread.

A wise man never assumes that everyone knows all that he does or does not know; or for that matter, what everyone else doesn't know or does know yet...

Carry on in usual "friendly & welcoming" fashion oh omnipotent Q. ;)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
costco has a history of pulling down that policy off their site. i've seen many dead links that used to show that policy. when i joined i asked about policies and they said there were none. when i spoke to the manager, she handed me the memo, but basically said they are OK with concealed carry...

FreeInAZ

@SLM - that is until the next super double dog urber classified memo is dispatched to tell all team members to call the police if a CCer should accidently expose their fiream. COPULATE THEM & their screwball policies!

Did they 'happily' refund your membership?

TheQ

A wise man never assumes that everyone knows all that he does or does not know; or for that matter, what everyone else doesn't know or does know yet...

Carry on in usual "friendly & welcoming" fashion oh omnipotent Q. ;)

True, but SLM is a veteran poster and I would have thought he had read one of the numerous threads on this topic.

TheQ

costco has a history of pulling down that policy off their site. i've seen many dead links that used to show that policy. when i joined i asked about policies and they said there were none. when i spoke to the manager, she handed me the memo, but basically said they are OK with concealed carry...

Wow -- WTH. Did you get a refund on your membership?

Gort

Old News Never Forgot

Erik Scott was a West Point graduate, Army veteran, MBA graduate of Duke University, and a medical sales rep for Boston Scientific.
Shot down after a A Costco employee called 911, I have listened to the 911 call and radio traffic of the cops in the area that were eager to join in the action.
Scott should have never tried to disarm himself, but the result was because of Cosco.
Links to the audio are long gone somewhere.
link to old story---http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/cops-gun-down-man-for-legally-carrying-firearm/

Last edited: