• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco...open carry prohibited

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
True, but SLM is a veteran poster and I would have thought he had read one of the numerous threads on this topic.
yep, read them all and posted on most of them. i joined during a time when the firearms policy link was gone. i also asked about it when i joined and open carried in there for almost 8 months (with interruptions to go to work and home) before they said anything.

sasha601

Is above the only written statement that Costco makes regarding firearms? I do not see an explicit statement that firearms are prohibited. It states: "Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores..."

RogueReflections

Costco - Washington State

I just contacted a manager named Ian. He informed me there is a policy, Costco-wide, that prohibits open carry of firearms in all Costco facilities. He explained it is for "safety" of customers. He also said Costco is a member-based company and they reserve the right to make such prohibitions. He said concealed carry is no problem and added "if we don't see it, it's not a problem." He was courteous and professional in the way he explained the policy.

XD40sc

It's not a matter of signs. COSTCO is a "membership" store - you signed a contract agreeing to abide by their rules. They can terminate your membership if you do not abide by the rules. The contract will tell you if you get any portion of your membership fee back.

Just a quick reminder, only the government can infringe on your rights. Private property owners may violate certain civil rights laws in certain circumstances, but IIRC RKBA is not yet in that category.

This discussion has been held on OCDO before. Use the Advanced Search feature to help find the threads.

stay safe.

Thus as a "membership" store is it public? In private you can conceal without permit. Come over to my house, and I can give you permission to conceal your gun on my property, or in my house.

fozzy71

Thus as a "membership" store is it public? In private you can conceal without permit. Come over to my house, and I can give you permission to conceal your gun on my property, or in my house.

You might want to re-read the laws that you think give you this right if you are referring to someone without a CPL on your property.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
technically even though they are "private," by law the pharmacy and alcohol sales must be open to the public

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I just contacted a manager named Ian. He informed me there is a policy, Costco-wide, that prohibits open carry of firearms in all Costco facilities. He explained it is for "safety" of customers. He also said Costco is a member-based company and they reserve the right to make such prohibitions. He said concealed carry is no problem and added "if we don't see it, it's not a problem." He was courteous and professional in the way he explained the policy.
yes, concealment seems to be the consensus among the managers, however, this directly contradicts costco's written policy which clearly states no guns are allowed.

Michigander

You might want to re-read the laws that you think give you this right if you are referring to someone without a CPL on your property.

I have always joked that this sort of offer is a verbal contract to move in for free, and that you could stay at that business as a residence until they evict you, because that's about what it would take for that to be legally correct as far as I know.

FreeInAZ

i have always joked that this sort of offer is a verbal contract to move in for free, and that you could stay at that business as a residence until they evict you, because that's about what it would take for that to be legally correct as far as i know.

this^^^. Rofl :D

Last edited:

TheQ

You clearly do not have a correct understanding of Michigan firearm law. You should probably avoid giving advice in areas you aren't completely familiar with -- you could get someone in serious trouble with bad advice.

jeffrey-r

Since no one is being very explicit with you, I will be: you are incorrect in your statement "I can give you permissino to conceal your gun on my property." This is not true.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227. (1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing
instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such,
concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or
occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by
the person.
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or
otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of
business, or on other land possessed by the person
, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and
if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than
5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

So without a concealed pistol license, you can carry concealed in your own house, in your place of business (this means a place of business that -you own- like a personal store, not merely where you work), or on your land. You can not just "get permission" to conceal carry on someone's private property, and you cannot "give permission" to someone.

This comes up from time to time when some restaurant owner says to an OCer "Well, you can just cover that up and you can stay." If the OCer does not have a CPL, he can NOT just cover it up; the restaurant owner does not have the authority to allow you to do that, it is still illegal.

[This just had me thinking. This has kind of interesting implications for when I'm up north at my buddy's cabin. We usually all bring our firearms up there to shoot on his property. I never really thought about the fact that friends who have pistols but not CPLs would technically be illegal if they were to put their firearm in their pocket.]

Last edited:

Raggs

Since no one is being very explicit with you, I will be: you are incorrect in your statement "I can give you permissino to conceal your gun on my property." This is not true.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227. (1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing
instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such,
concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or
occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by
the person.
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or
otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of
business, or on other land possessed by the person
, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and
if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than
5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

So without a concealed pistol license, you can carry concealed in your own house, in your place of business (this means a place of business that -you own- like a personal store, not merely where you work), or on your land. You can not just "get permission" to conceal carry on someone's private property, and you cannot "give permission" to someone.

This comes up from time to time when some restaurant owner says to an OCer "Well, you can just cover that up and you can stay." If the OCer does not have a CPL, he can NOT just cover it up; the restaurant owner does not have the authority to allow you to do that, it is still illegal.

[This just had me thinking. This has kind of interesting implications for when I'm up north at my buddy's cabin. We usually all bring our firearms up there to shoot on his property. I never really thought about the fact that friends who have pistols but not CPLs would technically be illegal if they were to put their firearm in their pocket.]

+1 good answer

MikeTheGreek

Strange. I have OC'd in the Costco in Livonia just south of 96, and the one on Haggerty and 8mile (Not sure if thats Northville, Novi, or Livonia, it's kinda on the 3 corners of the cities) and have had no problems at all.

FreeInAZ

Strange. I have OC'd in the Costco in Livonia just south of 96, and the one on Haggerty and 8mile (Not sure if thats Northville, Novi, or Livonia, it's kinda on the 3 corners of the cities) and have had no problems at all.

Mike - you have to put yourself in "crap head mode" & try to think like a jr. Under assistant manager at costco. Of course they won't say anything to you as (a) you are not as white as driven snow, (b) you look like you might just buzt a capp in dey azzes for dis'n you holmes...word...straight up! :p

Raggs

Mike - you have to put yourself in "crap head mode" & try to think like a jr. Under assistant manager at costco. Of course they won't say anything to you as (a) you are not as white as driven snow, (b) you look like you might just buzt a capp in dey azzes for dis'n you holmes...word...straight up! :p

WOW, you are REALLY bad at that

TheQ

Where I live and work two men walking down the street holding hands would be more alarming than a MWAG. In my locale the equivalent would be to stop them, ID, and verify they weren't in my town spreading Hepatitis and AIDS. Would that fly in the Big cities back East or the Left Coast????? Hell no.

People being "alarmed" isn't a good enough reason to shake somebody down, when they have broken no law. Many of the "a-hole" OC activists don't get pissed because others are alarmed, the get pissed when they are treated like criminals, and have broken no law.

First comment on the site...
LOL and QFT!