• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Giving Ammo Away Question

Glockster

I've looked over the forum rules but am looking for a sanity check on this -- I think that I can post here if I am willing to give away some ammo that I cannot use, as long as I'm not selling it or trading it. I just want to give it to someone(s) here that could use what I no longer have use for. Am I reading the rules correctly?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Donating ammo is very generous of you....kudos.

I'm not sure what you have, but we are always willing to take ammo donations for use in training (We'll take other stuff too!)

Folks in the past have donated ammo, holsters, etc. to us and we often use these things to help train those who perhaps can't afford additional ammo, or don't have proper equipment for live fire classes, etc. I'm sure that there are many worthy candidates here to receive your generous donation....I just wanted to throw our name into the hat to be considered.

Jim

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks I needed a good laugh and got one from that....been a tough week ever since my office blew up last week.....

Probably 9mm anyway:uhoh:

1303321594-kick_the_can_.jpg

Glockster

I have several guns safes to dig through to see exactly what I have but I recently decided that it was just too hard to try to keep some of everything in stock so am just going with .40SW and .45 for now and traded some stuff in). I know that I have 9mm, 10mm and 7.62x39mm (think I have 1000 rounds of that alone). All new still in box or bags (some of it was heater/bulk stuff from GA or CTD). Sounds like I'm good to go by posting give away on here -- hope to get it inventoried this week and then will post what I have (my office really did blow up and am really finishing up with that situation!). I do want to give it away to folks on here though.

Oh -- my plan is that I don't want to ship it, etc. etc. for all the complexities....so those here in Hampton Roads and who can ah...drive by? are most likely going to be able to take advantage of this the easiest. 'Course I have no clue how far someone might drive for a bunch of 7.62x39, or even if 10mm is scarce where you are!

Last edited:

Glockster

So sorry to hear that your office blew up....gas explosion?

No, darnedest thing....hot water heater....125 gallon tank, electric even, simply blew up -- everyone working restoration job said they've never seen anything like it -- blew out the sides, took out two walls, flooded lots (fortunately apparently there are lots of high spots where the water didn't yet get to when it was found). Very glad I wasn't in the building (Saturday night to Sunday morning is when it happened), but about 80% of my office has had to be water damage restored.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No, darnedest thing....hot water heater....125 gallon tank, electric even, simply blew up -- everyone working restoration job said they've never seen anything like it -- blew out the sides, took out two walls, flooded lots (fortunately apparently there are lots of high spots where the water didn't yet get to when it was found). Very glad I wasn't in the building (Saturday night to Sunday morning is when it happened), but about 80% of my office has had to be water damage restored.

Sounds like the Pressure valve failed and the thermostat stuck. It happens a lot but usually it just starts leaking badly. Sorry to hear it.

SaltH2OHokie shoots a 10mm and I think he's near you.

Glockster

It literally looks like a bomb went off -- jagged edges, huge hole and just blew out a side that then projected hot metal like a shotgun blast is the only way to describe it -- but a very very large shotgun blast. My office is next door to the police station and I'm surprised that they didn't hear it and think it was a bomb going off as I imagine it would have had to be loud. Anyway, just glad that neither I or clients were there!

Mongoose72

Is reselling ammo legal? I had a gun store employee years ago tell me that it would be illegal for him to buy ammo from a customer. Has this changed since the gun rush began? I know that people sell/ trade back and forth all the time; but will a gun store buy from an individual?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Is reselling ammo legal? I had a gun store employee years ago tell me that it would be illegal for him to buy ammo from a customer. Has this changed since the gun rush began? I know that people sell/ trade back and forth all the time; but will a gun store buy from an individual?

No, it's not legal and I doubt a gunstore would buy it. It's largely ignored by everyone else although it is forbidden to discuss illegal activities here.
It's even illegal for people who cast bullets to sell them without a license from the Feds.

Mongoose72

No, it's not legal and I doubt a gunstore would buy it. It's largely ignored by everyone else although it is forbidden to discuss illegal activities here.
It's even illegal for people who cast bullets to sell them without a license from the Feds.

I was asking because it sounded so absurd that it couldn't be true. I guess that I need to stop being suprised by absurd laws.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was asking because it sounded so absurd that it couldn't be true. I guess that I need to stop being suprised by absurd laws.

Yep...pretty stupid. I know a fellow who doesn't handload that wanted to try a certain load. Of course no handloader would break the law and make any for him. As luck would have it, he found a few cartridges in the woods.

Phoenix David

I think this is partially correct with respect to federal law.

To manufacture and sell ammunition you need a 06 or 07 FFL

To resell ammo you bought at Walmart or from someone else no federal permit is required.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

wrearick

I have several guns safes to dig through to see exactly what I have but I recently decided that it was just too hard to try to keep some of everything in stock so am just going with .40SW and .45 for now and traded some stuff in). I know that I have 9mm, 10mm and 7.62x39mm (think I have 1000 rounds of that alone). All new still in box or bags (some of it was heater/bulk stuff from GA or CTD). Sounds like I'm good to go by posting give away on here -- hope to get it inventoried this week and then will post what I have (my office really did blow up and am really finishing up with that situation!). I do want to give it away to folks on here though.

Oh -- my plan is that I don't want to ship it, etc. etc. for all the complexities....so those here in Hampton Roads and who can ah...drive by? are most likely going to be able to take advantage of this the easiest. 'Course I have no clue how far someone might drive for a bunch of 7.62x39, or even if 10mm is scarce where you are!

I think those who may be new and just starting out, say with less than 20 posts, could use the "help" the most. I would be happy to take some 9mm off your hands....:D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think this is partially correct with respect to federal law.

To manufacture and sell ammunition you need a 06 or 07 FFL

To resell ammo you bought at Walmart or from someone else no federal permit is required.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

You're probably right. I don't normally buy ammunition, I manufacture it including the bullets...but I didn't see anything on the page you linked that would support your statement.
Maybe I just overlooked it.