• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another newbe question

JohnM15A

Don't know how many newbe questions I can have before a smackdown but here it goes.

I have read where folks going into a restaurant will switch from CC to OC but have only read in the laws that you cannot carry (CC or OC) and drink alcohol beverages (duh!). Is one not allowed to be CC in a restaurant?

HearseGuy

If im not mistaken....

You can not CC in a place that serves alcohol and consume alcohol.

You can OC in a place that serves alcohol (e.g. any restaurant providing the door is no posted with a no firearms sign)

You can consume alcoholic beverages while OCing if you choose.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't know how many newbe questions I can have before a smackdown but here it goes.

I have read where folks going into a restaurant will switch from CC to OC but have only read in the laws that you cannot carry (CC or OC) and drink alcohol beverages (duh!). Is one not allowed to be CC in a restaurant?

That's an old tactic called the Virginia Tuck and was used before cc was legal in places that served alcohol.

Mongoose72

Correction

I think they changed the law a couple of years back. You can CC into a place that sells alcohol but you cannot drink. You can OC into there as well and drink, though few here recommend doing it.

Numenor

Incorrect. You can OC or CC into a place serving alcohol (assuming of course the place hasn't posted a "no guns" sign). However, if you wish to consume alcohol you MUST OC. On my phone atm or I would give cites.

2a4all

If im not mistaken....

You can not CC in a place that serves alcohol and consume alcohol.

You can OC in a place that serves alcohol (e.g. any restaurant providing the door is no posted with a no firearms sign)

You can consume alcoholic beverages while OCing if you choose.

I think they changed the law a couple of years back. You can CC into a place that sells alcohol but you cannot drink. You can OC into there as well and drink, though few here recommend doing it.

Incorrect. You can OC or CC into a place serving alcohol (assuming of course the place hasn't posted a "no guns" sign). However, if you wish to consume alcohol you MUST OC. On my phone atm or I would give cites.
You're all saying the same thing, but let's look at the statute (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308).

In particular, let's look at Para J3.

J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in � 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.​

Note that if one carries a concealed handgun onto the premises, s/he is barred from consuming alcoholic while there (LEO excepted). In order to legally consume alcoholic beverages, one would have to OC onto the premises. The key word is "onto" as it specifies the condition of carry as one enters, opposed to "on" or "in", as these words don't specify the condition of carry as one enters. Note that if one ceased to consume and switched to CC, there is no way to establish when or if any drinks were actually consumed on the premises, or by extension, off said premises.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't know how many newbe questions I can have before a smackdown ............snip......
There is no limit on newbie questions - only a limit on impatient or rude answers :)

We do not encourage drinking adult beverages in public while OCing as it clouds our image. As others have mentioned, consuming in a restaurant and CCing is a violation except for certain "special" classes of people. See § 18.2-308.

HearseGuy

Thanks all for the clarifications. The law can be confusing.

It really can! The best thing you can do is exactly what your doing. Study and ask questions! These guys clarify any thing for you man.