• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry question in Surry county

travisrugerfan

Okay I have open carried every time I go out and have had one problem at Kmart. So I am a fire fighter and I was talking to a few guys in our department and they said some things that confused me about ocing. They all took there cc class and they said it was illegal to open carry at all anywhere. They said the instructor told them this. I have read all the laws and talked to a few LEO of mine and said it was okay. We run a thrift store and I carry their every day. What's your guys take on this and some links of laws I can look up I may have missed. Thanks soo much guys.

WalkingWolf

Okay I have open carried every time I go out and have had one problem at Kmart. So I am a fire fighter and I was talking to a few guys in our department and they said some things that confused me about ocing. They all took there cc class and they said it was illegal to open carry at all anywhere. They said the instructor told them this. I have read all the laws and talked to a few LEO of mine and said it was okay. We run a thrift store and I carry their every day. What's your guys take on this and some links of laws I can look up I may have missed. Thanks soo much guys.

This is common from CC instructors, selling classes is their bread and butter. They should have their certification removed for outright lying if your fellow firemen are being truthful. We had one here that told several members that worked in gas stations that sold alcohol that it was illegal to OC and buy alcohol, completely untrue. He also told students that it was illegal to OC/CC in a bank, which is also not true. A couple of his students then contacted and asked me, I pointed them to this site, though I have not seen them post yet.

travisrugerfan

This is common from CC instructors, selling classes is their bread and butter. They should have their certification removed for outright lying if your fellow firemen are being truthful. We had one here that told several members that worked in gas stations that sold alcohol that it was illegal to OC and buy alcohol, completely untrue. He also told students that it was illegal to OC/CC in a bank, which is also not true. A couple of his students then contacted and asked me, I pointed them to this site, though I have not seen them post yet.

I'm so lost in what they said. I have not been told or saw that oc in nc has been took away from us.

ncwabbit

OP, as i have pointed out several times before on this forum, this mentality is being taught to CHP students they can no longer OC when you receive your CHP seems to be limited to the CHP instructors on the western part of the state.

due to the number of conversations i keep reading and hearing from others especially when i am teaching in and around the Charlotte area, about this subject i am beginning to wonder if this misinformation actually began in their initial DoJ CHP training? it would be interesting to discern where this misinformation originated. as a further hypothesis, i wonder if those who teach CHP in the western part of the state consist of previous LEs who might retain their perversion and are steadfastly against citizens carrying at all??

for example, this past weekend while in the Charlotte area I managed to irritate a retired LE when i mentioned to a young citizen in the audience they could, upon reaching their 18th Bday, open carry...this LE got visibly upset, really cranky, and stated unequivocally police would hassle, w/o provocation, the young citizen and possibly arrest them for having a firearm.

then the LE unequivocally stated: besides the young citizen cannot buy or even have access to a firearm w/o an adult present and supervising. I thought the LE would pop a vessel when i looked straight at him flatly stated he was wrong and misinformed!! he then tried to pull the "well i am a policeman" card :banghead: at which point i waved a hand and said 'were!'

he shut down completely and during break tried to recover his stature with several members of the audience who stated youn'gs shouldn't have access to firearms at that age, let alone carry them...all nodded in agreement. there was another retired LE in the audience who did not speak up during the initial discussion but afterwards privately said he was in agreement w/me and yes he might have done an initial encounter but would move on if nothing was amiss.

wabbit

ps: WalkingWolf, careful wrapping all CHP instructors into one bunch as there are some who try to represent both aspects of proper carry of a firearm out here...

WalkingWolf

ps: WalkingWolf, careful wrapping all CHP instructors into one bunch as there are some who try to represent both aspects of proper carry of a firearm out here...

You are correct, I don't have numbers but would imagine that most CC instructors are doing it the right way. But those few of the bunch really have no business teaching. The problem with throwing out misinformation is the students when they learn they have been lied to, will probably disregard the true information they did get.

I wish IF we are to have education for CHP, it not be called "concealed carry classes". But that it be called NC basic law and safety firearm classes. And that the instructors must stick to the law and not insert outright lies. They also would be required to teach students options of carry correctly, including OC. Then the students would know they have a choice, and this might take off some of the permit back load for those who really want a permit. Most people just want to carry.

travisrugerfan

Thanks guys! I have been asked by quite a few people at the flea market this Sunday what type of permit do I have to have to carry my gun like that. I just smile and say nothing. Now I must ask how do you guys approach that question. And you guys would be proud saw 4 guys one girl open carrying this weekend I sale at vintage village flea market in yadkinville so it's nice to not be the only one. Also I talked with a guy about 30 min about our guns and rights and such,

WalkingWolf

Thanks guys! I have been asked by quite a few people at the flea market this Sunday what type of permit do I have to have to carry my gun like that. I just smile and say nothing. Now I must ask how do you guys approach that question. And you guys would be proud saw 4 guys one girl open carrying this weekend I sale at vintage village flea market in yadkinville so it's nice to not be the only one. Also I talked with a guy about 30 min about our guns and rights and such,

It depends on how the person is asking. If they sound curious, I will go into details about NC constitution, and NC Supreme court rulings, and laws. If they are being snotty, I continue about my business, and ignore them.

ncwabbit

when i am asked, i flatly state tis a right and it has become second nature for me to have my firearm on my hip. depending on the conversation i get into particulars but otherwise it is short and sweet...i normally end my conversation with a comment...'and where is your firearm and why aren't you wearing it? which to the chagrin of those i am traveling w/continues the conversation a bit longer...lol

wabbit

madcitysw

travisrugerfan

I lived in Dobson/Elkin/Sparta area for years and I have seen others open carry their weapon on their hip. I not sure what the CC instructors over there are saying since I took mine here on the east side of NC, but I could ask a friend of mine who got his CHP in Jefferson.

travisrugerfan

travisrugerfan

I lived in Dobson/Elkin/Sparta area for years and I have seen others open carry their weapon on their hip. I not sure what the CC instructors over there are saying since I took mine here on the east side of NC, but I could ask a friend of mine who got his CHP in Jefferson.

Okay thanks man I would love to know what you learn.

madcitysw

Well he said he don't recall anything that his instructor that it was illegal to open carry at all anywhere after you get your CHP. But I know you can open carry safety as I still do with my CHP.