• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An extreme view from an anti-rights voice

MKEgal

My brother & his family have entirely reasonable & fact-based views about firearms, even though they live in CA.
Some of the people he's FaceBook 'friends' with, not so much.
And of course, they don't listen to reason.
I've posted citations from & links to probably 8-12 scientifically-done studies which disprove his opinions, and this guy I quote below dismisses them as "selected references collected by an amateur". (But of course, he can't come up with ANY studies supporting his opinions... because they don't exist.)

Kenneth O'Brien said:
I consider allowing concealed and open carry in public places the worst example of immature anti-social society-poisoning potential violence our culture owns.

Someone with some common sense asked him:
You literally believe that a trained, licensed concealed-carry citizen is a worse example of "immature anti-social society-poisoning potential violence" than a gang-banger whose head is full of violent images from movies and video games?
And Ken's reply was:
Kenneth O'Brien said:
Yes, of course. That is exactly my point.

Kenneth O'Brien said:
There is nothing simple about turning over justice, security and punishment to the instantaneous assessment/whim of each and every private individual.

And Ken even blames lawfully-armed citizens and the "we're not gonna take this any more" mentality* for causing crime! He says that LACs are worse for society than violent predators!
Kenneth O'Brien said:
I believe that large numbers of 'good' people coming to believe it is a normal part of the culture for them to take on the job of instant judge jury and executioner everywhere in public places (while also internalizing the extended 'urban' hating mindset implicitly behind that) has much much worse and wider implications for our society than the subset acute violence involving the most pathological problems this wider and worse example of immature anti-social society-poisoning mindset helped create
* Or perhaps, as Kathy Jackson puts it, "not me, not mine, not today".

I'm almost afraid to ask him what he means by "the extended 'urban' hating mindset"... Think maybe he's being racist there?

Last edited:

Deanimator

He is free to choose to be a victim. I don't care.

However, he is asking for the taking of our Right, thereby choosing victimhood for us too. That is unacceptable.
Tell them that, then throw in, "NO, I REFUSE."

It literally drives them insane with rage.

Those types have NEVER been told "no" in their lives. When they are, it almost invariably sends them into an infantile hissy fit. Almost as entertaining as a good episode of "Big Bang Theory"...

minarchist

I wonder if Kenneth O'Brien has any problem with cops having the power of "judge, jury, and executioner" when facing deadly force. For some reason that I can't put my finger on, I doubt it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
An extreme view from an anti-rights voice

Any anti-rights view is an extreme one. Our civilization spent some 561 years from Magna Carta to the Bill of Rigthts aquiring the very few rights recognized at law--anybody who wants to go backward from that is a radical.

motoxmann

would this be the Kenneth O'Brien that lives in Portland, Maine?? using a photo of Tillie Shaeffer (NY Giant) as his profile pic, and Obama with a bunch of young women as his cover photo?

ron73440

Originally Posted by Kenneth O'Brien, Lehigh U
There is nothing simple about turning over justice, security and punishment to the instantaneous assessment/whim of each and every private individual.

I would like to know when has this happened recently? I guess you could make the argument that there were vigilantes in the old west, but the only real justice and punishment administered outside the court system these days is by criminals who can't get legal help to right wrongs, LAC's that carry do so for self defence, not to be judge, jury, and executioner.

I sincerely pray that I am never in a situation where I have to use my pistol, but if I need it more prayer won't help as much as being prepared.

One thing I would like to say to anti gun people, if you were in Sandy Hook, what would you have done? Hid under the desk with the kids?

I and the group you like to call "gun nuts" would have gone 2 to the chest and one to the head.

Which seems to be a better answer to such an evil situation? If that means in your mind I am "turning over justice, security and punishment to the instantaneous assessment/whim of each and every private individual." than so be it.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

I would like to know when has this happened recently? I guess you could make the argument that there were vigilantes in the old west, but the only real justice and punishment administered outside the court system these days is by criminals who can't get legal help to right wrongs, LAC's that carry do so for self defence, not to be judge, jury, and executioner.

I sincerely pray that I am never in a situation where I have to use my pistol, but if I need it more prayer won't help as much as being prepared.

One thing I would like to say to anti gun people, if you were in Sandy Hook, what would you have done? Hid under the desk with the kids?

I and the group you like to call "gun nuts" would have gone 2 to the chest and one to the head.

Which seems to be a better answer to such an evil situation? If that means in your mind I am "turning over justice, security and punishment to the instantaneous assessment/whim of each and every private individual." than so be it.

Moreover, OBrien's comment is utterly strawman--to the point of a deliberate lie because justice, security, and punishment are not being turned over to the lawfully armed citizen. Any lawfully armed citizen who exceeds his authority to defend self and others is liable both civilly and criminally.

OC for ME

I would like to know when has this happened recently? I guess you could make the argument that there were vigilantes in the old west, but the only real justice and punishment administered outside the court system these days is by criminals who can't get legal help to right wrongs, LAC's that carry do so for self defense, not to be judge, jury, and executioner.

Turning over the security of those children at Sandy Hook to a lawfully armed citizen should have been the preferred option until LE arrived to assist in, and then assume those security duties.

eye95

Turning over the security of those children at Sandy Hook to a lawfully armed citizen should have been the preferred option until LE arrived to assist in, and then assume those security duties.

Exactly. The real reason those children are dead is that we, as a nation, left them undefended--and advertised this fact to crazies looking for soft targets.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Locic dictates, Captain, that if Pro-Gunners were as violent as Anti-Guners say they are, there wouldn't be any Anti-Gunners left.
[/Mr. Spock voice]

While it has always puzzled me why someone would get up in the face of a person obviously wearing a gun on their hip and insult that person, their morals, their judgement, and tell outrageous lies about their behavior as well as the relationship between the gun-toter's parents, it seems said individuals never appear to have any actual fear that the gun-toter would actually act in the ways of which they just accused them.

:banghead:

stay safe.

Freedom1Man

[/Mr. Spock voice]

While it has always puzzled me why someone would get up in the face of a person obviously wearing a gun on their hip and insult that person, their morals, their judgement, and tell outrageous lies about their behavior as well as the relationship between the gun-toter's parents, it seems said individuals never appear to have any actual fear that the gun-toter would actually act in the ways of which they just accused them.

:banghead:

stay safe.

Good one. I like that.

3tdlst.jpg

Last edited: