Thread: Question about car carry

Question about car carry

Okay so I installed a mounted holster in my car today on my center console which is partially visible, I had a friend that was interested in doing it also but he wants to make sure it is legal to do so. I tried looking for a definite proof but failed to do so but I know it is legal as I have been pulled over twice with a rig similar to this and the cops saw it.

FYI we both have our CPL and this is carrying loaded.

Thanks for your help.

Well there's no law prohibiting it, so that should mean it's legal.

Just make sure that the location of the mounted holster is such that the weapon is always under your control.

IANAL, but the only danger I could see from a holster in the center console (vs an under the steering column mount) is that depending on the location of the holster it could be argued that a passenger is the person "in control" of the firearm. Obviously this could pose a problem if your passenger was a minor or a prohibited person. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem. Just my 2 pennies.
    Last edited by FrayedString; 03-12-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlacsamana1989 View Post
    Okay so I installed a mounted holster in my car today on my center console which is partially visible, I had a friend that was interested in doing it also but he wants to make sure it is legal to do so. I tried looking for a definite proof but failed to do so but I know it is legal as I have been pulled over twice with a rig similar to this and the cops saw it.

Thanks for your help.
    Your friend won't find proof that it's legal to wear blue jeans either. No such law exists.

Remember, laws only make something prohibited, and if it is not prohibited it is legal.

With a CPL you can carry your loaded firearm anywhere in the vehicle. RCW Link

RCW 9.41.050

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Sometimes (i) is misunderstood, so I included the Law Enforcement Journal (pg. 30)

Note: Under RCW 9.41.050(2), a CPL holder who is presently inside a vehicle may
    have a loaded pistol anywhere in the vehicle – Aug 00:20
    This is to include the firearm being duct taped to your forehead if you would like...

Last edited by gogodawgs; 03-12-2013 at 02:02 AM.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    This is to include the firearm being duct taped to your forehead if you would like...
    Tape it to a long haired cat with nice sharp claws. "Sure officer go ahead and peel it off the cat if it makes you feel safer."

Thanks everyone for the info, especially gogodawgs. my friend is going to install his today.

Should be no issue when in the vehicle. Just make sure to take it with you when you leave or conceal it if you have to leave the vehicle

the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by bmg50cal View Post
    Tape it to a long haired cat with nice sharp claws. "Sure officer go ahead and peel it off the cat if it makes you feel safer."
    So then the cop just shoots the cat "in self defense".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by rlacsamana1989 View Post

Thanks for your help.
    I will double down on one thing that has been already been stated...IF you leave the vehicle, and IF you leave the weapon in the vehicle, do NOT leave it "partly visible". It is illegal, and inviting a breakin.

I have never been one to disarm just because I am in a vehicle, too easy to forget the weapon when you leave.

Question about car carry

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I will double down on one thing that has been already been stated...IF you leave the vehicle, and IF you leave the weapon in the vehicle, do NOT leave it "partly visible". It is illegal, and inviting a breakin.

I have never been one to disarm just because I am in a vehicle, too easy to forget the weapon when you leave.
    But only if it's loaded. Not that I would leave in within view if it weren't. Just saying that it would be legal.
    Last edited by tombrewster421; 03-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    So then the cop just shoots the cat "in self defense".
    But the far left will surely smell blood and have an "oh poor kitty" lynch mob.

Your friend won't find proof that it's legal to wear blue jeans either. No such law exists.

Remember, laws only make something prohibited, and if it is not prohibited it is legal.

Sometimes (i) is misunderstood, so I included the Law Enforcement Journal (pg. 30)

I believe that Nick is correct. I believe that according to the rules of statutory construction, the statute would be parsed as:

RCW 9.41.050
    (2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
    (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person,
    OR
    (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there,
    or
    (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Should be no issue when in the vehicle. Just make sure to take it with you when you leave or conceal it if you have to leave the vehicle
    A rag, towel, newspaper etc over the gun would conceal it from view.

Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    I believe that Nick is correct. I believe that according to the rules of statutory construction, the statute would be parsed as:

RCW 9.41.050
    (2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
    OR

or

I believe 50BMG is correct.............

Where's that damn cat........

I have one also

I have one in the same place in my truck when I travel. A friend of mine is a cop and he did it also. It
    is legal as long as it (The Gun) is in your control, which means if you can grab it without lifting your butt out of
    the seat , it is good.
    The Greatest Weapon is the Mind. The Second Greatest Weapon is my Hand, It controls my Guns
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    USCCA Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    01 FFL Dealer/The Gun Man
    Glock Armorer
    Tactical Instructor
    Ex Navy
    Heavy into the Second Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
    I have one in the same place in my truck when I travel. A friend of mine is a cop and he did it also. It
    is legal as long as it (The Gun) is in your control, which means if you can grab it without lifting your butt out of
    the seat , it is good.

Where does it say it has to be under your control? Please read my above post and click the link.

It can be anywhere in the vehicle.
    Live Free or Die!

I had always understood that as meaning the pistol has to be on me if loaded. This changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 509rifas View Post
    I had always understood that as meaning the pistol has to be on me if loaded. This changes everything.
    I do not think it has to be on your person to be legal, just in your sphere of control. However, Personally, I do not not like to NOT have it on my person. I am getting old, I forget things easily, and my carry is the last thing I want to forget.

Where does it say it has to be under your control? Please read my above post and click the link.

It can be anywhere in the vehicle.
    I agree and was going to ask the same question. I've had my gun in the glove box with my son sitting in the passenger seat, no issues at all.

Perhaps this cat...

Question about car carry

I really like my Gum Creek steering column holster mount. Very easy to get to quickly.
    Last edited by Fibresteve; 03-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.