• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about car carry

rlacsamana1989

Okay so I installed a mounted holster in my car today on my center console which is partially visible, I had a friend that was interested in doing it also but he wants to make sure it is legal to do so. I tried looking for a definite proof but failed to do so but I know it is legal as I have been pulled over twice with a rig similar to this and the cops saw it.

FYI we both have our CPL and this is carrying loaded.

Thanks for your help.

FrayedString

Well there's no law prohibiting it, so that should mean it's legal.

Just make sure that the location of the mounted holster is such that the weapon is always under your control.

IANAL, but the only danger I could see from a holster in the center console (vs an under the steering column mount) is that depending on the location of the holster it could be argued that a passenger is the person "in control" of the firearm. Obviously this could pose a problem if your passenger was a minor or a prohibited person. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem. Just my 2 pennies.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Okay so I installed a mounted holster in my car today on my center console which is partially visible, I had a friend that was interested in doing it also but he wants to make sure it is legal to do so. I tried looking for a definite proof but failed to do so but I know it is legal as I have been pulled over twice with a rig similar to this and the cops saw it.

Thanks for your help.

Your friend won't find proof that it's legal to wear blue jeans either. No such law exists.

Remember, laws only make something prohibited, and if it is not prohibited it is legal.

With a CPL you can carry your loaded firearm anywhere in the vehicle. RCW Link

RCW 9.41.050

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Sometimes (i) is misunderstood, so I included the Law Enforcement Journal (pg. 30)

Note: Under RCW 9.41.050(2), a CPL holder who is presently inside a vehicle may
have a loaded pistol anywhere in the vehicle – Aug 00:20

This is to include the firearm being duct taped to your forehead if you would like...

:banana:

Last edited:

hermannr

Thanks for your help.

I will double down on one thing that has been already been stated...IF you leave the vehicle, and IF you leave the weapon in the vehicle, do NOT leave it "partly visible". It is illegal, and inviting a breakin.

I have never been one to disarm just because I am in a vehicle, too easy to forget the weapon when you leave.

tombrewster421

I will double down on one thing that has been already been stated...IF you leave the vehicle, and IF you leave the weapon in the vehicle, do NOT leave it "partly visible". It is illegal, and inviting a breakin.

I have never been one to disarm just because I am in a vehicle, too easy to forget the weapon when you leave.

But only if it's loaded. Not that I would leave in within view if it weren't. Just saying that it would be legal.

Last edited:

rapgood

Your friend won't find proof that it's legal to wear blue jeans either. No such law exists.

Remember, laws only make something prohibited, and if it is not prohibited it is legal.

Sometimes (i) is misunderstood, so I included the Law Enforcement Journal (pg. 30)

I believe that Nick is correct. I believe that according to the rules of statutory construction, the statute would be parsed as:

RCW 9.41.050
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person,
OR
(ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there,
or
(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Sparky508

I believe that Nick is correct. I believe that according to the rules of statutory construction, the statute would be parsed as:

RCW 9.41.050
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
OR

or

I believe 50BMG is correct.............

Where's that damn cat........:confused:

TheGunMan

I have one also

I have one in the same place in my truck when I travel. A friend of mine is a cop and he did it also. It
is legal as long as it (The Gun) is in your control, which means if you can grab it without lifting your butt out of
the seat , it is good.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I have one in the same place in my truck when I travel. A friend of mine is a cop and he did it also. It
is legal as long as it (The Gun) is in your control, which means if you can grab it without lifting your butt out of
the seat , it is good.

Where does it say it has to be under your control? Please read my above post and click the link.

It can be anywhere in the vehicle.

509rifas

This is to include the firearm being duct taped to your forehead if you would like...

:banana:

I had always understood that as meaning the pistol has to be on me if loaded. This changes everything.

hermannr

I had always understood that as meaning the pistol has to be on me if loaded. This changes everything.

I do not think it has to be on your person to be legal, just in your sphere of control. However, Personally, I do not not like to NOT have it on my person. I am getting old, I forget things easily, and my carry is the last thing I want to forget.

5918mike

Where does it say it has to be under your control? Please read my above post and click the link.

It can be anywhere in the vehicle.

I agree and was going to ask the same question. I've had my gun in the glove box with my son sitting in the passenger seat, no issues at all.

bmg50cal

Perhaps this cat...

tumblr_mbl4z220Ku1rskeexo1_400.gif