• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RENO: Men with guns in holsters trigger robbery false alarm at Reno laundromat

braindead0

Didn't see this already posted here. From the Reno Gazette Journal: http://www.rgj.com/article/20130311/NEWS/130311017

The Reno Police Department got a report of someone with a gun at a South Virginia Street laundromat, which prompted police to surround the building and bring the occupants out to make sure it wasn't a robbery.

Police talked to the owner of the Megalaundry at 1740 S. Virginia St. and confirmed it was not a robbery and that the guns on people who went into the store were being carried in holsters.

The call came at about 12:34 p.m. and police had checked everything out by 1 p.m.

Last edited:

Superlite27

Just goes to show what happens when stupid people think.

I disagree. The reason stupid people are stupid is because of their lack of cognitive ability. If they'd only practice every so often, they might increase their capability. The problem is stupid people NOT thinking because of inability, lack of education, or outright laziness.

In this instance, I believe the caller might have been unused to the effort required, and strained something in the attempt. The end result was malformed, and distorted due to inexperience at thinking.

I wonder:

If a person calls police at the sight of a gun in a holster, who do they call when the police show up carrying guns in holsters?

More police?

Wouldn't this only compound the original problem?

After all, if one is frightened at the sight of a holstered firearm, calling a whole bevy of additional people carrying holstered firearms seems like a rather bad idea.

braindead0

Was the reaction by the PD appropriate? They got a report of people with holstered guns, a perfectly legal activity.. big deal. Should have told the complaining idiot to piss off and stop trying to waste tax payers dollars.

OC for ME

All we know from the ridiculously short and uninformative story is that a MWAG call was made. No other information is made available and it seems no further information will be provided unless one of those citizens, who were apparently lawfully armed, raises a stink re the LE response.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
After all, if one is frightened at the sight of a holstered firearm, calling a whole bevy of additional people carrying holstered firearms seems like a rather bad idea.

The person who called obviously was not aware that OC is legal.

Now they are aware, and have to adjust their mindset. This can only be a Good Thing, and is the first step on their way to OC themselves. The only question is how many steps they take.

braindead0

Shouldn't the dispatcher know it's legal and perhaps ask? If it's not someone with a firearm acting in an unusual or threatening manner..

Of course why bother, just send 'em out... the costs are externalized..