• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops can be good guys.

eye95

A lot of folks here spend most of their efforts on this site implying, trying to prove, or flat-out stating that all cops are rights-violating thugs. Any rational person knows that such a generalization logically MUST be false. The problem is that we only see posted the bad things that cops do. That jades many of us, much in the same way that cops, routinely dealing with bad guys, often become jaded and see only bad guys. Let's don't fall into that trap.

Grapeshot posted a video in another thread of a cop being killed doing the right thing. That gave me the idea for this thread.

So, anyway, the purpose of this thread is very narrow: To post articles, videos, recollections, etc. of LEO doing the right thing, just to balance out the tendency on this site to focus only the them doing the wrong thing.

This thread is decidedly NOT for bashing of any individual cop or posting any account of any cop doing anything wrong. It is especially not intended to be for bashing LEO/LEA in general. It is also not intended to be a discussion of any kind. I will report this post to the staff, asking them to help monitor this thread and delete anything that is not very narrowly a cop-doing-the-right-thing post, so please do not try to corrupt this thread. If you are looking to post anything else here, please start your own thread.

GS, would you like to get things started by reposting the video from the other thread? Also, are you willing to help maintain the integrity of this thread?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

GS, would you like to get things started by reposting the video from the other thread? Also, are you willing to help maintain the integrity of this thread?

Don't recall a video being posted, but there are likely several related.

VSP Trooper stopped to help a motorist and paid for that kindness with his lfe.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/funeral-set-slain-virginia-state-trooper

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-07/local/37535046_1_virginia-state-police-patrol-car-police-officer

Yes this is a watched thread and will be monitored in accordance with the OP conditions.

Gunslinger

I await, with eager anticipation, the posts on this thread. My position on thug cops acting like Stormtroopers is well known. But to start things off for my friends eye and Grape, let me call out Sheriff Terry Maketa of El Paso County. He is a staunch supporter of our 2A rights, tirelessly fought the democrap vermin in denver over their anti-freedom gun laws which they rammed through the legislature for the desk of governor chickenlooper, and leads a fine, professional force of honest, dedicated LEOs. He takes his oath seriously and will accept nothing less from his deputies. We are privileged to have a man like Terry running our Sheriff's Office.

eye95

Grapeshot's article reminded me of an officer who died here recently. If you want to see folks reacting to a beloved police officer, google David Yaney. He was recently killed (not in the line of duty), and the outpouring of grief in the entire Miami Valley was astounding.

OC for ME

Is it permissible to identify LEAs whose officers obviously note my OCed firearm and did absolutely nothing other than notice and continue about their business. I have commended my local LEA for their officers "complete lack on interest" in a citizen going about has daily business. This I believe is the goal that we all seek.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is it permissible to identify LEAs whose officers obviously note my OCed firearm and did absolutely nothing other than notice and continue about their business. I have commended my local LEA for their officers "complete lack on interest" in a citizen going about has daily business. This I believe is the goal that we all seek.

IMHO - on a smaller scale that would seem to fit the idea - best when the LEA and the officer identified though.

OC for ME

IMHO - on a smaller scale that would seem to fit the idea - best when the LEA and the officer identified though.
I agree. Though it would be difficult to ID a individual officer in the circumstance I postulate where he is going about his business. I will include the officer if I am able to ID him.

eye95

My third interaction with a Montgomery PD officer demonstrated that that PD now more fully respects the right to carry. I wish I could remember the officer's name, but he was called because of a couple of MWAGs at the Starbuck's in Eastchase. He did a look-see (reasonable), approached us consensually (reasonable), then took his break and joined us for coffee and a chat (commendable and friendly).

Of course, mentioning OC-compatible LEAs fits in with the theme of the thread, but don't feel restricted to OC. This is in the Social Lounge. Any and all positive examples of LEAs and LEOs are welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

Not necessarily "looking" for anything. I would ask folks to think outside the box. This is the Social Lounge. It doesn't have to be about guns at all.

OC for ME

So far, my interactions with local cops are running about fourteen negative to three or four positive/neutral.

Separately, just because a cop ignores me doesn't mean he's a good cop; it can mean we've caused enough headaches that he decided to leave OCers alone because we can bite back, not because he's a good guy.
Or, it could mean that he is a good cop because he did ignore you. Unless you initiate a consensual encounter with him you (we) will never know.

sudden valley gunner

I've had mostly positive encounters with our State Troopers. Specifically would like to Mention Officer Thompson, who didn't let my OC bother him after a bad crash, and is the one who removed my weapon and told me how to get it back when they were putting me into the ambulance. He asked if I had a CPL , I told him somewhere in the vehicle, he said "that's Ok you are Open Carrying anyway".

They also refused to do anything about the complaints of the anti gunners when they were trying to ban assault weapons and a group of our state OC'ers showed up to the legislature buildings to oppose the bills.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Restating the conditions for posting to this thread

This thread is decidedly NOT for bashing of any individual cop or posting any account of any cop doing anything wrong. It is especially not intended to be for bashing LEO/LEA in general. It is also not intended to be a discussion of any kind. I will report this post to the staff, asking them to help monitor this thread and delete anything that is not very narrowly a cop-doing-the-right-thing post, so please do not try to corrupt this thread. If you are looking to post anything else here, please start your own thread.

List, report, or link incidents of "Cops can be good guys"

Will hard delete/remove the posts that do not comply with these conditions.

Last edited: