• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Manchester Community College Last week

beardman

I would appreciate some clarification from people that are smarter than me. I think everyone is well aware of what happened last week regarding a "sighting" of a man with a gun. My question is regarding if this was even illegal? State law leaves possession of firearms up to each individual school.

MCC student handbook, page 42 has a section on weapons, it would seem than that this is against the rules, but is it? I know they probably intend to include firearms in this, but it seems that section 53a-3 of the Connecticut General Statutes specifically excludes relation to the other section that they reference, section 53-206
As I read this, all other dangerous weapons, illegal in the state anyways would be against the handbook rules, but not firearms.

The second paragraph in the handbook would right off the bat make you think that at least a student would have to report to the "commanding officer", but it only lists that people required to carry a firearm because of employment need to visit. This would seem like students that wanted to carry for personal protection need not notify anyone.

Like I said initially, hopefully someone that is smarter than me can explain this a little better.

Thanks in advance

ENTIRE HANDBOOK Page 42 is the section that I am referencing above

Rich B

No state law about carrying on a college campus. Most colleges forbid carry in their policy however and you are not entitled to carry by state law where carrying a firearm is prohibited.

beardman

Right, I understand that, but it seems that their policy does not actually forbid carrying, even iff they meant for it to.

Rich B

Right, I understand that, but it seems that their policy does not actually forbid carrying, even iff they meant for it to.

I don't understand how that statement can possibly be made.

The handbook said:
All weapons (as defined by section 53-206 and 53a-3 of the Connecticut General Statutes), ammunition, explosives, incendiary devices and fireworks are prohibited from college property.

CGS 53a-3 said:
(6) "Deadly weapon" means any weapon, whether loaded or unloaded, from which a shot may be discharged

motoxmann

I was actually wondering this myself, knowing CT statutesdo not make it illegal to carry on campus, but the school itsself can forbid it. and seeing what the handbook says, as rich pointed out, it is indeed forbidden. and if the school forbids it, then it is illegal, because CT statutes do state that it is a crime to carry on property where carry is forbidden. so yes, IF a man was carrying a gun on campus, he was breaking the law

beardman

I don't understand how that statement can possibly be made.

Right, that's why I need some other insight, this is the section that intrigues me. I'm not saying that I am right, I am just trying to understand the wording

The definition of "deadly weapon" in this subdivision shall be deemed not to apply to section 29-38 or 53-206

This would seem to me that that definition of "deadly weapon" that obviously refers to a gun is excluded from the section that they reference (53-206). Now they do list ammunition as its own item in the handbook as well, so that makes case closed, but still curious.

No matter what though, anyone on the campus concealed carrying or open carrying would not be breaking the law, just in violation of the handbook. Just another case of overreaction. In fact, I read that a student was found to have a concealed handgun on them, how I'm not sure, the police verified that they had a permit and return the handgun to them. No word on the schools reaction to this.

Rich B

No matter what though, anyone on the campus concealed carrying or open carrying would not be breaking the law, just in violation of the handbook.

If you are in violation of the property owner's policy, you are breaking the law. How well it would hold up in court is another matter, but you could potentially be charged for carrying without a permit if someone was so inclined.

motoxmann

so I just read page 40 (not 42) of the handbook, and the OP is actually right [technically].
there is no state law banning carrying firearms on college property, but there is a law stating you cannot carry a pistol/revolver on property where carry is prohibited.
BUT, the wording of the college handbook does NOT prohibit the carry of a pistol/revolver, technically. the handbook says "weapons" are prohibited on campus, defined by the above mentioned statutes, which describe deadly weapons that are not firearms (53-206). and 53a-3 does not have a definition for a "weapon" as the handbook implies. it has definitions for "deadly weapons" and "electronic defense weapons", but NOT "weapons".

therefore, due to the technicality, it would not be illegal to have a firearm on campus, because nothing the handbook specifies includes firearms. but they do prohibit ammunition, so a firearm would be worthless, and not worth the hassle.

beardman

so I just read page 40 (not 42) of the handbook, and the OP is actually right [technically].
there is no state law banning carrying firearms on college property, but there is a law stating you cannot carry a pistol/revolver on property where carry is prohibited.
BUT, the wording of the college handbook does NOT prohibit the carry of a pistol/revolver, technically. the handbook says "weapons" are prohibited on campus, defined by the above mentioned statutes, which describe deadly weapons that are not firearms (53-206). and 53a-3 does not have a definition for a "weapon" as the handbook implies. it has definitions for "deadly weapons" and "electronic defense weapons", but NOT "weapons".

therefore, due to the technicality, it would not be illegal to have a firearm on campus, because nothing the handbook specifies includes firearms. but they do prohibit ammunition, so a firearm would be worthless, and not worth the hassle.

That's how I was reading it as well, I'm not a student and will probably never set foot on the grounds. It was more a curiosity question more than anything else.

motoxmann

just keep in mind how I kept stating "technically", because there's obviously implications, and fighting that would be totally up to the judge