Thread: What happens to Ammo in a Fire? - A Well Produced Science-Based Presentation

Exclamation What happens to Ammo in a Fire? - A Well Produced Science-Based Presentation

Dear Fellow Second Amendment Lovers:

The anti-gun zealots try to use "community safety" as an excuse to create local ordinances that ban guns or ammunition. There is a "myth" out there that firefighters need to be terrified of citizens who own firearms and ammunition because if the house caught fire, the neighborhood would go up in a huge explosion. This myth is debunked in the video I have attached a link to. This video, endorsed by the Association of Fire Chiefs, records clear science-based evidence of the effect of fire on stored ammunition.

Please keep in mind that ammunition that is chambered in a firearm will "go off" in a fire and the projectile will have full ballistic force. This makes sense as the chamber directs the energy.

The video is a bit long, but worth the watching

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlO...layer_embedded

Yellow Cat Out-
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

I'm guessin' that what happens is the same thing that happens to an ammunition fire in Utah.

Awesome video - I had passed that on to some of my relatives last fall to show them that if a loaded .22lr gets accidentally raked into a fire that the world won't open up and dragons won't eat everyone.

What happens to Ammo in a Fire? - A Well Produced Science-Based Presentation

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Awesome video - I had passed that on to some of my relatives last fall to show them that if a loaded .22lr gets accidentally raked into a fire that the world won't open up and dragons won't eat everyone.
    Lol!

22RF don't do much when the go off in vacum cleaner beater. Wife wasn't happy with me.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Careful. It all depends on how the ammo is packed and stored. The military holds the same view as many regular folks, ammo ain't no big deal.....but, if things go just the right way. How about you reloaders out there.

Proper storage and segregation of ammunition and powder is important in a Murphy situation.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    22RF don't do much when the go off in vacum cleaner beater. Wife wasn't happy with me.
    Funny, I vacuumed up many in a shop vac nothin' happen, I was very disappointed 😢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shoot low boys, their ridin' shetland ponies"

Banned
    When a cartridge is detonated inside a chamber, all of the energy of the explosion is focused against the frame of the gun and against the bullet. That energy is also directed on the bullet down the direction of the barrel for the entire time the bullet is in the barrel, continually increasing the energy of the bullet throughout its travel down the barrel.

When a cartridge is detonated with no chamber or any other container surrounding it, the energy is directed against the bullet only as long as it is still in the casing. Once the bullet and casing separate, the energy of the explosion dissipates in all directions, imparting a tiny fraction of the energy into the bullet. I wouldn't want to be close to that explosion, but an amazingly short distance from the explosion, energy levels, including the energy level of the bullet, will be tiny compared to the energy focused on a bullet coming from a chamber and a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    When a cartridge is detonated inside a chamber, all of the energy of the explosion is focused against the frame of the gun and against the bullet. That energy is also directed on the bullet down the direction of the barrel for the entire time the bullet is in the barrel, continually increasing the energy of the bullet throughout its travel down the barrel.

When a cartridge is detonated with no chamber or any other container surrounding it, the energy is directed against the bullet only as long as it is still in the casing. Once the bullet and casing separate, the energy of the explosion dissipates in all directions, imparting a tiny fraction of the energy into the bullet. I wouldn't want to be close to that explosion, but an amazingly short distance from the explosion, energy levels, including the energy level of the bullet, will be tiny compared to the energy focused on a bullet coming from a chamber and a barrel.
    Smokeless powders don't explode, per se. They will give something resembling an explosion as long as they are confined(such as in a gun barrel behind a bullet), but at something close to atmospheric pressure they really just burn, and fairly slowly at that.

When a smokeless round is in a fire, the swelling brass(from not having a chamber to support it) will tend to keep the pressure down, and when the bullet pops everything will basically be under atmospheric pressure.

Thus, there really isn't even an explosion from ammunition popping out of a gun.

Banned

Explosion is a continuum. Is there and accepted point along that spectrum between slow burn and the Big Bang that separates explosion from non-explosion? It doesn't matter. Whatever label you put on the chemical reaction that suddenly releases large amounts of energy, my point on the focus of that energy in a chamber and for a loose round still applies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>