• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Fires and Stored Ammunition - A Danger to Firefighters?

jpm84092

Dear Fellow Second Amendment Lovers:

The anti-gun zealots try to use "community safety" as an excuse to create local ordinances that ban guns or ammunition. There is a "myth" out there that firefighters need to be terrified of citizens who own firearms and ammunition because if the house caught fire, the neighborhood would go up in a huge explosion. This myth is debunked in the video I have attached a link to. This video, endorsed by the Association of Fire Chiefs, records clear science-based evidence of the effect of fire on stored ammunition.

Please keep in mind that ammunition that is chambered in a firearm will "go off" in a fire and the projectile will have full ballistic force. This makes sense as the chamber directs the energy.

The video is a bit long, but worth the watching. When watching, keep in mind that the video producers take care to point out that their experiments involved civilian sporting ammunition and not military ammunition. The viewer should keep in mind that while they both have the same dimensions, the 5.56 X 45 mm NATO round has much higher head pressures than the SAAMI .223 Civilian round. (The NATO round has a thicker case, but has approximately 20,000 psi greater head pressure.)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&feature=player_embedded

Yellow Cat Out-

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Just a guess, but I'd say that what happens to ammo in a fire in Utah is the same thing that happens to ammo in a fire in Wisconsin.:cool:

(But, yes, it IS an educational vid.;) )

Last edited:

sharkey

Dear Fellow Second Amendment Lovers:

The anti-gun zealots try to use "community safety" as an excuse to create local ordinances that ban guns or ammunition. There is a "myth" out there that firefighters need to be terrified of citizens who own firearms and ammunition because if the house caught fire, the neighborhood would go up in a huge explosion. This myth is debunked in the video I have attached a link to. This video, endorsed by the Association of Fire Chiefs, records clear science-based evidence of the effect of fire on stored ammunition.

Please keep in mind that ammunition that is chambered in a firearm will "go off" in a fire and the projectile will have full ballistic force. This makes sense as the chamber directs the energy.

The video is a bit long, but worth the watching

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&feature=player_embedded

Yellow Cat Out-

Why do I want popcorn after watching that video?