Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Can I get some Essay Help

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    229

    Can I get some Essay Help

    I have to do an Argumentative Essay. I am thinking of the argument, "Should University students be allowed to carry handguns"
    I live in NC and it is illegal to have firearms on college / university grounds, so I think it could make a good argument.

    Can I get some help? Good sources, list of colleges/universities that allow it, things of that nature that can help me with the paper?

    Any kind of insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by merc460; 03-12-2013 at 07:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Open your web browser. Type in a search phrase. Check the hits that come up.

    Seriously, coming here and asking others to do your work is just not good form. ("Hey, Mom! I've got an essay due tomorrow morning. Would you write it for me?")

    If you had done your part and hit a snag, and come here explaining what you had already done and what your snag was, you might get some assistance.

    But asking us to do your work for you? We do not, as a rule, like members of the FSA. Your request suggests you are a high-ranking member of the FSA.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    229
    Well, wow, that was pretty accusing, Mr skidmark. I did not ask anyone to DO MY WORK for me and it's not due tomorrow BTW, just got the assignment, I have 6 weeks to do it.
    Wow, open browser, and search ..... I never though of that.
    FSA, I don't know which acronym you are referring to, but if YOU had looked at my past posts here you would see that I am just a 45 yr old member that participates when I can, and have been a member for a long while.

    You know what, never mind, you are just a waste of my time to continue with this.
    Last edited by merc460; 03-13-2013 at 08:50 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Start with a group called Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

    [Hint: what's the name of this forum?]
    Last edited by MKEgal; 03-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    Can I get some Essay Help

    What angle are you planning to take? What is going to be the basis of your argument? Give us a little something to go on here.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Start with a group called Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.
    Thank you, I will be reading there.

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    What angle are you planning to take? What is going to be the basis of your argument? Give us a little something to go on here.
    Yeah, I guess I came in half cocked, sorry. What gave me the idea was, I was reading the Student Safety statements and I got a bit upset
    Safety on Campus


    • Personal safety and protection of property is the responsibility of each individual.
    • Stay alert and be familiar with the campus and buildings.
    • Security should be notified of any threats made against you, another person or Mitchell Community College.
    • Notify Security if you see or hear anything suspicious.
    • Avoid leaving books, book-bags, purses or personal items unattended.
    • Lock your office door when going out, even when you'll only be gone for a short time.
    • Be aware of your surrounds. Check the floor plans in buildings so you can exit safely in case of fire or other emergencies. Make note of any handicapped students or faculty and make team plans to help them in an emergency.
    • Note where building fire extinguishers and first aid kits are located.
    • Lock your vehicle and secure your valuables out-of-sight in the trunk.
    • Have your car keys in hand when walking to your vehicle and scan the area and the inside of your vehicle before entering it.
    The items in bold really struck me as just plain wrong, especially since I am not allowed (by law) to carry my firearm there. I did a minor scan of other state laws last night and the way the laws read (for most & where legal) it was up to the college to allow it, then of course, they can post signs, so you can have them on campus, but not in class, basically you would still be unarmed while there (grrrr)

    So, my argument would be "Students to be allowed to carry anywhere on campus" obviously, if you are legally allowed. But, after thinking about it all day today I know it's a subject that will definitely provide plenty of argumentative subject material, but supporting handgun carry on campus with facts is what has me worried, because there is only a handful of colleges that allow it and they are very limited at that.
    Basically, it cannot be... "I should be allowed to carry because I would feel safer" argument, though true, it is only personal feeling, I need facts, statistics, ect.

    I cannot use internet sources, my cites have to come from a library databases. So, as it is right now, I am not sure sure if I can use this argument, and I will have to find another subject. That is why I asked here, I figure a collective of like minded folks could help.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Start with a group called Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.
    Let me say thanks again, I just done a quick scan here. If I can find a lot of the info cited on the website in library database, I may just be on my way.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by merc460 View Post
    Well, wow, that was pretty accusing, Mr skidmark. I did not ask anyone to DO MY WORK for me and it's not due tomorrow BTW, just got the assignment, I have 6 weeks to do it.
    Wow, open browser, and search ..... I never though of that.
    FSA, I don't know which acronym you are referring to, but if YOU had looked at my past posts here you would see that I am just a 45 yr old member that participates when I can, and have been a member for a long while.

    You know what, never mind, you are just a waste of my time to continue with this.
    I guess you missed this part:

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    ....
    If you had done your part and hit a snag, and come here explaining what you had already done and what your snag was, you might get some assistance.

    ....

    stay safe.
    And just to clarify, in this case FSA stands for Free Stuff Army.

    I see MKEgal gave you a small bone and that seems to have been just the thing you needed. How you, even at 45, managed to miss SCCC on your own searching for "university/college students carry firearms" or similar, eludes me, but then I apparently am smarter than the average bear.

    If you have been around OCDO for a while you ought to know that indignation will not get you anywhere. And your concrete thinking apparently prevents you from seeing snark when it is handed to you on a platter. But you are right about one thing - it is a waste of your time to continue this with me, as I still won't do your work for you, unlike some more tenderhearted posters.

    Question - are you going to share your essay here when you get it finished? If not, why not?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I guess you missed this part:



    And just to clarify, in this case FSA stands for Free Stuff Army.

    I see MKEgal gave you a small bone and that seems to have been just the thing you needed. How you, even at 45, managed to miss SCCC on your own searching for "university/college students carry firearms" or similar, eludes me, but then I apparently am smarter than the average bear.

    If you have been around OCDO for a while you ought to know that indignation will not get you anywhere. And your concrete thinking apparently prevents you from seeing snark when it is handed to you on a platter. But you are right about one thing - it is a waste of your time to continue this with me, as I still won't do your work for you, unlike some more tenderhearted posters.

    Question - are you going to share your essay here when you get it finished? If not, why not?

    stay safe.
    Ignore list for you.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    My ignore list is long cuz I just won't take crap from people, but probably the last person here I'd put on ignore is skid. Rethink that decision; it was foolish.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I have only put one person on ignore, and revoked that two days later. I am able to stop reading useless or foolish posts and skip to the next one. And yet on occassion those that seem to be generally useless or foolish will drop a gem right in our collective lap - it would be a shame to mis it.

    But a dancing banana for putting me on ignore? Really? I could more readily see a , or even a . But a dancing banana? How droll.

    Hopefully I will still be on ignore when I let slip the winning combination of numbers for the upcoming lottery drawing. (You never know. It could happen. Stay tuned for further developments.) Which would prove my point about why I do not put even generally useless or foolish posters on ignore.

    And besides, I am looking forward to reading his Argumentative Essay - he is going to share it with us, right?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    I recommend obtaining a detailed explanation/definition of "internet source." The Library of Congress could be labeled a internet source. Many many news organizations post their stories and articles on the internet. These news organizations have their products included in the Library of Congress which are then made available on the internet.

    To address your request directly: Is the premise of the requirement (question) false or true? The question framed is based on a false premise from a liberty centric perspective.

    "Should university students be allowed to carry handguns?"

    "Why should university students not be allowed to carry handguns?"

    One question is based on restricting a enumerated right by a state institution (the vast majority of universities). The other question is based on compelling a state institution to justify their disarming a citizen, where that citizen has the enumerated right to be armed under the law.

    It may be an interesting read if you post your completed assignment. Any reactions from the professor would be interesting also.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I recommend obtaining a detailed explanation/definition of "internet source." The Library of Congress could be labeled a internet source. Many many news organizations post their stories and articles on the internet. These news organizations have their products included in the Library of Congress which are then made available on the internet.

    To address your request directly: Is the premise of the requirement (question) false or true? The question framed is based on a false premise from a liberty centric perspective.

    "Should university students be allowed to carry handguns?"

    "Why should university students not be allowed to carry handguns?"

    One question is based on restricting a enumerated right by a state institution (the vast majority of universities). The other question is based on compelling a state institution to justify their disarming a citizen, where that citizen has the enumerated right to be armed under the law.

    It may be an interesting read if you post your completed assignment. Any reactions from the professor would be interesting also.

    Internet sources would be anyplace that does not have printed literature, and then it needs to be credible. So, sites such as the Library of Congress would certainly be usable.

    I was going to pose the question you wrote (and did). "Should university students be allowed to carry handguns on campus"
    I was very anxious to do the assignment and now that I presented my thesis today I can tell you the reaction from the professor... Not approved... "because it would be more of a personal opinion argument than factual". So it seems the subject is taboo.


    Thanks for offering help.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    My ignore list is long cuz I just won't take crap from people, but probably the last person here I'd put on ignore is skid. Rethink that decision; it was foolish.

    I have always found a lot of your input on matters a good read, but...

    I have thought about this all morning. I have read two threads in the last week that were VERY similar to my request. The input given in them was good (for the most part), and that clown did not go an blast the OP of those threads as he did me in this one (he only posted in one). The approach he took towards me was completely uncalled for. I did nothing wrong, and did not deserve being talked to that way.

    So, no, I will not remove him from being ignored. Not that it matters anyways, as I said, I have thought about it and after him making the posts as he did, then someone standing up for [him], tells me this is not a place I need to be anymore. So this will be my last visit here.

    COMMENTS EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Removed personal attack
    Last edited by John Pierce; 03-19-2013 at 09:43 AM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    The concealed carry on campus issue offers an excellent opportunity to educate others regarding the right (and responsibility according to the university security rules) to protect your own @$$- or " SIX" as it may be.

    Since you are considering presenting an appeal to the better nuances of wisdom by advocating for the institution to "allow" ( HOW PRECIOUS) the people - who incidentally possess a God-given , and Constitutionally reserved right to keep & bear arms in defense of their person - the title of MY (argumentative) essay would probably be ...............

    If a deranged man ( why are they always MEN ???....perhaps an existential nuetering issue) was on a shooting rampage through this campus, and you can hear the POW - POW-POW coming ever closer...... WOULD YOU BE IN FAVOR OF ALLOWING STUDENTS (like yourself), AND FACULTY TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS ON CAMPUS ?????

    I know that is a long title, but I think you get my point - about WHAT YOUR POINT should be.
    "Extremism ALWAYS brings about its own destruction " ( Sir Edmund Burke)

    Jim Sherwood

  16. #16
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by merc460 View Post
    <snip> So this will be my last visit here.
    May be a futile attempt.

    Anyway, here goes.

    It is likely a "sore subject" for the professor because he, and by extension the university, can not justify infringing upon the right as I postulated in my recommended wording of the question.

    "Why should university students not be allowed to carry handguns?"

    When a state institution is forced to justify the infringement of a enumerated right they place themselves in legal peril.....and they ain't gunna do that.

    Good luck.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by merc460 View Post
    ...So this will be my last visit here.
    We all make choices. I think you have made two foolish choices in this thread.

    We'll live. Bye.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I would call the paper "Why are students being denied a right?"

  19. #19
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    I see MKEgal gave you a small bone
    I thought it was a pretty obvious one, given the title of this forum.
    Forest, trees, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95
    probably the last person here I'd put on ignore is skid.
    Rethink that decision; it was foolish.
    +1
    He's occasionally a curmudgeon but not someone to ignore.

    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME
    To address your request directly: Is the premise of the requirement (question) false or true? The question framed is based on a false premise from a liberty centric perspective.
    "Should university students be allowed to carry handguns?"
    "Why should university students not be allowed to carry handguns?"
    Quote Originally Posted by merc460
    I presented my thesis today I can tell you the reaction from the professor... Not approved... "because it would be more of a personal opinion argument than factual". So it seems the subject is taboo.
    So reframe the question in the proper perspective, as above, & submit it again.
    Or: "does data show that concealed carry on campus by licensed adults increases crime?"
    Or come at it sideways - instead of directly talking about guns (at least in your original statement to the prof) talk about self-defense, or civil rights, or personal responsibility.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 03-17-2013 at 08:50 PM.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGAL///EAGLE View Post
    For people who openly carry weapons or support the carry of open firearms or act like you do - You guys sure get bent out of shape easily
    And just how are we "bent out of shape"? I'm serious in asking the question because I do not see anybody displaying anything I would call "bent out of shape" - but then everybody ascriobes a different meaning to that term. I do want to hear (read) your explanation.

    stay safe.

    PS - Please note that I have scupulously avoided any discussion of your phrase "or act like you do" or about the use of a dancing banana (a smiley I never understood, just like I do not understand the dancing monkey).
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Posts
    243
    I don't have the sites on hand here at work. But look for this info.

    Top 10 most dangerous campuses for women, note UC Boulder, CO is one of them.

    Somewhere, and this I can't find now, there was a graph showing the crime rate at UC Boulder, CO and USC Ft Collins, CO from 2000 onward. Both were in decline in 2003 & after when CCW was made shall issue in Colorado. Around 2005/2007 UC Boulder made a stink about CCW on campus and forbid it till the CO Supreme Court struck their ban down. But the effect on crime was ominous - while USC continued its downward trend, UC Boulder showed a marked upward trend in crime as those targetting college age kids moved their activities to Boulder, and students in general at Boulder felt more emboldened to commit crimes agianst their fellows. Note: USC in FT Collins did not discourage CCW on campus, the Sheriff in that county being favorably disposed toward citizen self defense.

    Somewhere you might mention Evie Hudak's ridiculous assertion in committee on the CCW ban that was proposed in Colorado that a gun is 83 times more likely to be used to kill a woman than the woman kill her attacker. Totally absurd. Using 2011 statistics, 260 felons were killed by citizens; if half of those were shot by women that would be 10,790 women killed by their own gun in Hudak's reckoning - there were only 11,205 (something close to that, verify that number) total gun homicides of all kinds that year. Hudak is saying that almost everyone killed that year, was a woman who was disarmed and shot with her own gun... Demonstrably false since over half of the victims were male. Even if 1/4 fo teh felons were shot by women, Hudak is still saying half of all homicides were women who had their gun turned on them.

    Its those lying hysterics that make society unsafe. Hudak's best effort in crime control would be to put her face on a poster. Any potential rapist viewing that would be too ill to commit an offense that evening.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    It's probably time to ask the mods to close this one permanently. The OP picked up his marbles and stalked back home a long time ago,

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •