• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AG office wants CPL info to go public?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
State Panel to Consider Possible Lifting of Public Disclosure Exemption for Gun License Applications

While Democrats in the Washington state House are being whipped into a full lather by Gov. Jay Inslee and even national luminaries pushing a gun control agenda to pass a sweeping new requirement for universal background checks for all gun purchases, there’s another relevant issue on the agenda of an unelected committee next week that deserves some mention in the debate.
On Mar. 19, the Sunshine Committee – a 12-member panel within the office of Washington state’s Attorney General – is scheduled to review the current exemption for licenses to carry and conceal pistols.
There is legitimate worry that if the Legislature passes a bill to require universal background checks and the exemption is lifted, the private information of law-abiding gun owners could be easily obtained including addresses, employment history, even medical records that are researched prior to permit issuance.
We inquired by email Monday with the Attorney General’s Office about what prompted placing the concealed pistol permit exemption on next week’s agenda but did not receive a reply.
The Sunshine Committee was formed to review exemptions from the state public disclosure laws and was created by a law proposed to the Legislature by former Attorney General Rob McKenna.

http://www.nwdailymarker.com/2013/0...se-info-is-private-now-but-that-could-change/

AG info:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=31052#.UUACHxysiSr

PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE AGENDA
Public Records Exemptions Accountability Committee
John A. Cherberg Building
Conference Room ABC
Olympia, WA
March 19, 2013, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

1. Call to Order
    1.1 Introductions/Roll Call and Establishment of Quorum
    1.2 Adoption of agenda for March 19, 2013
    1.3 Review and approval of October 16, 2012 meeting minutes
  2. Old Business
    2.1 Sunshine Committee Recommendations – Legislative update
    2.2 Archives Proposal
    2.3 Rodne/Kline replacement
    2.4 Schedule of Review/Code Reviser List of New Exemptions
    A Plan for Committee Action in 2013
  3. New Business
    3.1 Elect Vice Chair
    3.2 Exemption Reviews
    A. Investigative Exemption at RCW 42.56.240
    (Rammerman proposal/Ford proposal)
    B. Sex Offender Information at RCW 4.24.550
    (Related documents)
    C. Concealed Pistol License Applications at RCW 42.56.240 & RCW 9.41.070
    (Related documents)
  4. Other Business
    4.1 Burdensome Record Requests – discussion
    4.2 Public Comment
  5. Adjournment

http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles...ttee/Materials/3-2CRelatedDocsRCW9.41.070.pdf

509rifas

Fine with me. All government records should be public and very easily accessible.

No, not fine. They published the names of CPL (or whatever they call it there) holders to set them up for burglaries as a means to retaliate against them for owning guns back East, that much is obvious.

The exemptions to the public records act are there for a reason. There's not a lot of them.

So are you also of the opinion that all photographs and reports of teenage rape victims should also be published in the name of open government?

Having a CPL really shouldn't be necessary. We have the right to bear arms in defense of self and state according to the WA State Constituion, why do we need to pay for a permission slip, especially if that permission slip is going to make a burglary map?

bmg50cal

Great; then every left-wing employer, college and rental owner will be denying everyone with a CPL.:cuss:

Are they wanting people to feel like this?

Really+Pissed+Badger.jpg

Why not publish the name and address of every hunter and fisherman detailing their catch records while they are at it.

Freedom1Man

Great; then every left-wing employer, college and rental owner will be denying everyone with a CPL.:cuss:

Are they wanting people to feel like this?

View attachment 10103

Why not publish the name and address of every hunter and fisherman detailing their catch records while they are at it.

Better yet the home address of every judge, police officer, mayor, city/county council member, etc.

Jeff Hayes

OK so how many of us are going to go the the hearing, we can debate the legality of this later we can complain later but right now we need to flood the meeting with people, how many are going to make it?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Fine with me. All government records should be public and very easily accessible.

Public Disclosure is to scrutinize government, not citizens, thus exempting CPL holders makes sense to protect individual privacy.

CPL's are not 'government records' the details on them are private records. The aggregate information (i.e. # of CPLS, by zipcode, etc) is information that may be shared.

Alpine

I've called up a few of the committee members. One of them, Rodne, is my representative and I think we can count on him to help hold the line.

The other one I called was a democrat and I think his name was Skinner, or Springer or Sprinker, and his legislative aide acted very formal in taking my message but gave me the impression she was going to blow me off.

We need to remind them what happened in New York and not let it happen here.

Here is the full roster of the committee, start calling and emailing these people!
http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles...e_Committee/SunshineCommitteeRoster8-9-12.pdf

squeezeplae

I would love to come, being a newcomer, I would like to see how this works never have gone to see something like this.Should be very informative.would like to ride with someone if possible willing to help with gas.