Thread: Jorge Mario Bergoglio, first Jesuit pope, known for humility, doctrinal conservatism

Jorge Mario Bergoglio, first Jesuit pope, known for humility, doctrinal conservatism

Bwahaha! A Society of Jesus Jesuit, now General officer in God's Marines, once a mere Soldier of Christ. A thumb in the eye of all progressives 'praying' for a kinder gentler Il Papa. Who else here was raised in a Jesuit community, Mission Santa Clara de Asís?

Para Bergoglio, la ley de matrimonio gay es 'una movida del Diablo'(http://www.infobae.com/notas/525351-...Diablo039.html)

"Le cardinal Bergoglio invite à défendre la culture de la vie avec ardeur". (http://www.zenit.org/fr/articles/le-...ie-avec-ardeur)

Founder's Club Member
    If you have facts and supportable conclusions about the new pontiff, lets hear 'em. Otherwise, you're bashing. I'm not catholic, but I don't wanta hear it.

Moreover,

6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    If you have facts and supportable conclusions about the new pontiff, lets hear 'em. Otherwise, you're bashing. I'm not catholic, but I don't wanta hear it.
    Your sarcasm runs deep honored correspondent.

Read the citations, as conservative and complimentary as possible.

Nor am I Catholic nor Jesuit but raised in an SJ community. As an undergrad in a secular university, faith is easily lost to higher criticism, and regained with maturity.

Banned
    Interesting. CNN was portraying him as quite liberal theologically. I wonder if that was not wishful thinking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I am not a Catholic but I am always shocked by how many non Catholics care about the Pope.

Today on Facebook I think I read about 100 posts from friends who are NOT Catholic and were criticising the new Pope for not being in favor of gay marriage.

Imagine that, a Pope who doesnt support gay marriage !!!

Those in the religious community dont sit around and wait to see who is elected head of the atheist groups and then criticise them.
    People don't like him 'cause he's anti-gay marriage? Who do they think they are, the Pope?

Were I Catholic, my main concern at this point would be his age. The Papacy, as is the case with most high offices, tends to take a rather severe toll.

As a Christian, the Pope has my prayers that he may lead the Church out of the darkness into which some have dragged it.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    As a Christian, the Pope has my prayers that he may lead the Church out of the darkness into which some have dragged it.
    +1
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Darkness? What darkness?

Be specific in your use of the term darkness, articulate the issue(s). A single issue, or some number of issues does not define a church that is home to ~1.2 billion God fearing souls.....except in America that is.

Typical anti-Catholic generalization(s).

Fair disclosure: I'm a God fearing Presbyterian.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Darkness? What darkness?

Be specific in your use of the term darkness, articulate the issue(s). A single issue, or some number of issues does not define a church that is home to ~1.2 billion God fearing souls.....except in America that is.

Typical anti-Catholic generalization(s).

Fair disclosure: I'm a God fearing Presbyterian.
    The darkness I referred to is the numerous scandals surrounding the Catholic clergy in recent years. Those scandals left a stain on the church that will be difficult to remove. My prayer is that this pope will be instrumental in helping to remove that stain. I do know Catholics, many of them formerly devout, who left the church because of the scandals or because they were directly effected.

Anti-Catholic? Hardly. Although I am not Catholic, I still miss the Latin mass and, while still on active duty, did my best to attend mass at least once a month.

Fair disclosure: I'm a God-fearing member of a Protestant Christian denomination.
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

The darkness I referred to is the numerous scandals surrounding the Catholic clergy in recent years. Those scandals left a stain on the church that will be difficult to remove. My prayer is that this pope will be instrumental in helping to remove that stain. I do know Catholics, many of them formerly devout, who left the church because of the scandals or because they were directly effected.

Anti-Catholic? Hardly. Although I am not Catholic, I still miss the Latin mass and, while still on active duty, did my best to attend mass at least once a month.

Fair disclosure: I'm a God-fearing member of a Protestant Christian denomination.
    The "scandals" you allude to should likely be reduced to "the scandal." A single issue has, as you correctly point out, stained the Church. The Church must address this scandal to the satisfaction of all those concerned if the Church desires to welcome those who have left back into the fold.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

The government we deserve, the Church that we deserve.

It seems well accepted that we have and get the government that we deserve, deserve for what we do and for what we fail to do. Why does the same NOT hold for our church(es)?

We society tolerate homosexuals as we denigrate homosexuality, we 'love' the sinners and hate the sin, as the churches do. Were my congregation to hire a progressive pastor over my objections then I will leave that congregation with my faith and understanding intact.

Read the response of the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina to its church's elevation of progressive churchmen, they left, took their name and property with them and aligned with an African conservative bishop.

On Topic - will Pope Francis I elevate Saint Francis Possenti of Our Lady of Sorrows, patron of Catholic children, students of the Church and legally armed citizens? Perhaps establish his priory!

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The "scandals" you allude to should likely be reduced to "the scandal." A single issue has, as you correctly point out, stained the Church. The Church must address this scandal to the satisfaction of all those concerned if the Church desires to welcome those who have left back into the fold.
    The reason I referred to it as "scandals" was because there was more than one member of the clergy involved.

Again, this Pope has the prayers of this Christian for him to be able to start healing the breach that has occurred. It is not just Catholicism that has been hurt by this, but Christianity in general.

FWIW, although you don't hear as much about it, the Protestant clergy also has some dirt clinging to its skirts. Some of the dirt is of the same nature as the scandals within the Catholic clergy. And some is just as heinous, if not more so, although of a different nature.

The reason I referred to it as "scandals" was because there was more than one member of the clergy involved.

Again, this Pope has the prayers of this Christian for him to be able to start healing the breach that has occurred. It is not just Catholicism that has been hurt by this, but Christianity in general.

FWIW, although you don't hear as much about it, the Protestant clergy also has some dirt clinging to its skirts. Some of the dirt is of the same nature as the scandals within the Catholic clergy. And some is just as heinous, if not more so, although of a different nature.
    Thank you for the calrification. I have no disagreement with your assessment of the issue, just disagree with classifying multiple incidents of the same heinous act as multiple issues vs. a single issue.

+1 to you Sir.