• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to a job interview OC

DamonK

I've been retired for about a month and a half now and I'm bored to tears. So I I decided to apply for a job at the Cabelas gun counter. I filled out all the info online and sent a copy of my resume. I got the call this morning and had a decision to make. Do I not carry to avoid any problems, or do I stand by my beliefs. Well I carried and the interview went great. They had me fill out a bunch of forms and take a drug test(no problems there) and told me to be looking for a call in 1-2 weeks. I'm pretty pumped. I can't carry while on the clock(corporate policy) but other than that I am good to go. And the best part... I don't need to job, I want the job. I'm just bored and I wanted the discount!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

hermannr

I've been retired for about a month and a half now and I'm bored to tears. So I I decided to apply for a job at the Cabelas gun counter. I filled out all the info online and sent a copy of my resume. I got the call this morning and had a decision to make. Do I not carry to avoid any problems, or do I stand by my beliefs. Well I carried and the interview went great. They had me fill out a bunch of forms and take a drug test(no problems there) and told me to be looking for a call in 1-2 weeks. I'm pretty pumped. I can't carry while on the clock(corporate policy) but other than that I am good to go. And the best part... I don't need to job, I want the job. I'm just bored and I wanted the discount!

Sounds good...good luck

bmg50cal

I would never suggest pocket carrying a couple of loaded mags for something always available, easily accessible that is behind counter for in the event a BG enters the store and starts shooting. No never would I suggest that. I also wouldn't suggest engraving the mags with your name to prove they are indeed yours and not the store's. :lol:

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Congrats on the new job!! Now just don't turn into one of those know-it-all gun store types.

I see Cabela's more as a outdoor retailer than a gun store, I am not surprised that they do not allow employees to carry. I am not familiar with any large companies that allow employees to carry. While I disagree, I suppose they see it as an insurance liability or an increased potential for workplace violence.

Most true gun stores are small and privately owned, thus the individual owners are free to make their own choice which is why you see most gun store employees carrying.

DamonK

Yeah, I don't mind. It's a private company. I'm just excited for the discount. And hopefully knowing when the ammo get's stocked!

Trigger Dr

Congrats on the new job!! Now just don't turn into one of those know-it-all gun store types.

I see Cabela's more as a outdoor retailer than a gun store, I am not surprised that they do not allow employees to carry. I am not familiar with any large companies that allow employees to carry. While I disagree, I suppose they see it as an insurance liability or an increased potential for workplace violence.

Most true gun stores are small and privately owned, thus the individual owners are free to make their own choice which is why you see most gun store employees carrying.

The years that I worked for Sportsman Warhouse the only ones allowed to carry on the clock were LEO and Retired LEO with Corporate permission. Very seldom granted. BIG liability issue.

1911er

Yeah, I don't mind. It's a private company. I'm just excited for the discount. And hopefully knowing when the ammo get's stocked!

I don't know if they still do it but if ammo boxes are found broken on delivery or if they find one that someone has stole a few rounds out of they put them on A shelf in the back and have an employee sale when the rack gets full.

Ken56

Congrats if you do get the job. Its a vastly different 'head' when its your choice to work and not HAVE to work. I too am retired and working at my trade of 35 yrs with a good friend. We work on our terms when we want and for whom we want. I do not suffer fools well at my age any more. I don't have too and neither do you should the young corporate district manager care to show you whos boss, who has no clue as to how to treat employees with respect, and thinks his degree makes him superior to all he over sees. Believe me, I've been there and it will happen to you at some time in your working future there. Be prepared and hand him a sucker and tell him to go play some where else. The look on his face will be priceless.

WOD

Good luck! As far as retail goes, "Embrace The Suck!" will be the motto of the day.

DamonK

Congrats if you do get the job. Its a vastly different 'head' when its your choice to work and not HAVE to work. I too am retired and working at my trade of 35 yrs with a good friend. We work on our terms when we want and for whom we want. I do not suffer fools well at my age any more. I don't have too and neither do you should the young corporate district manager care to show you whos boss, who has no clue as to how to treat employees with respect, and thinks his degree makes him superior to all he over sees. Believe me, I've been there and it will happen to you at some time in your working future there. Be prepared and hand him a sucker and tell him to go play some where else. The look on his face will be priceless.

Good advice that I will take to heart. Thanks. Also, I'll do what I can to put notice out when the ammo get's stocked. First I'll need to make sure that I wont be breaking any rules. Maybe I'll create a thread.