Thread: Veteran: "God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers."

Veteran: "God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers."

It Seems the Virginia DMV is causing problems for a Virginia veteran:

For second time, DMV denies ICUHAJI license plate
    An Iraq war veteran's quest to recover personalized license plates that some Arab Americans found offensive is not over.

After a judge ruled in November that the Department of Motor Vehicles couldn't deny a tag on the grounds that it denigrated individuals of a particular nationality, the state has come up with a new reason to revoke Sean Bujno's ICUHAJI plate

In a letter from the DMV to Bujno, the agency said the tag - it can be read, "I see you, haji" - condones or encourages violence and is obscene or otherwise vulgar in nature.

In a Nov. 3, 2011, letter, DMV Commissioner Richard Holcomb said the tags violated a prohibition on letter combinations that could reasonably be interpreted as being "socially, racially, or ethically offensive or disparaging." He noted a bumper sticker on Bujno's car. It read: "God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers."
    It gets worse:

Judge: Vet must appeal again for ICUHAJI plates
    If an Iraq war veteran wants his ICUHAJI tags, he will have to start over with the Department of Motor Vehicles and file a second appeal.

It doesn’t matter that Circuit Judge John W. Brown previously ruled the DMV was wrong to revoke Sean Bujno’s personalized plates on the grounds that they denigrated individuals of a particular nationality – namely Arab Americans. During a hearing Wednesday, the judge noted that the DMV has come up with new reasons to deny the plates. He said state law requires Bujno to file new paperwork in response to the new decision.

The Administrative Process Act must be followed,” said Brown.

Assistant Attorney General Janet Westbrook countered the judge did not find all of the DMV’s guidelines for handling personalized plates were unconstitutional, only one.

“The DMV has done exactly what the court has asked them to do,” she said.
    So, Cuccinelli is okay with defending the DMV? What about our veterans?

Founder's Club Member
    Given the guy's backround and advertisement about being a sniper, I cannot help but think he's making a deliberate message against certain Muslims.

His plate does not say ISAWHAJ. Nor, SCOPE1. Nor, 1MOAGUN. Etc. Its present tense, and aimed at a certain Muslim group. My immediate take-away is the guy is both a racist and threatening--there is no other reason to say "I see you" than to send a shiver or intimidate. Add, in the sniper bumper sticker, and were I Muslim, I'd be livid.

Imagine if you saw a plate that said ICVICKY, with an FBI bumper sticker, and it turned out the registered owner was Lon Horiuchi?

There are plenty of freedom-minded people in this country who consider that a lot of the opposition in Iraq and Afghanistan were simply trying to chase out the American invaders. I can't say I disagree with that assessment overly much. It seems pretty plausible, especially given the actions of the American government in both countries before and during hostilities. Add in local propaganda, and I have little trouble believing a lot those people fighting our young men viewed our young countrymen as hostile occupiers.

With all that said, I have little but contempt for a government that "sells" us "special" plates so we can personalize.
    Last edited by Citizen; 03-13-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    It Seems the Virginia DMV is causing problems for a Virginia veteran:

For second time, DMV denies ICUHAJI license plate

It gets worse:

Judge: Vet must appeal again for ICUHAJI plates

So, Cuccinelli is okay with defending the DMV? What about our veterans?
    Cuccinelli didn't write the Administrative Procedures, he's only seeing they're followed. If there is a bad guy in this, it's the DMV.

Instead of hammering Cuccinelli about something as stupid as the lettering on a license plate, maybe we should concentrate some effort into fighting some of the Federal legislation that is a very real threat to our RKBA.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.

My VA license plate was an NRA plate that said SHOOT. I'm surprised that one got approved.

Peter nap is right, Cuccinelli isn't at fault here and we do need to focus our energy at the federal level. I have meetings set-up with both of my U.S. Senators local offices within the next two weeks.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Cuccinelli didn't write the Administrative Procedures, he's only seeing they're followed. If there is a bad guy in this, it's the DMV.

Instead of hammering Cuccinelli about something as stupid as the lettering on a license plate, maybe we should concentrate some effort into fighting some of the Federal legislation that is a very real threat to our RKBA.

I was considering a plate that had "URST2PD" or "EMT4E" (read that in rear view mirror), but I'd rather not have some jack wagon in DMV tell me that his/her feelings are hurt by a license plate that they personally consider offensive.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    I was considering a plate that had "URST2PD" or "EMT4E" (read that in rear view mirror), but I'd rather not have some jack wagon in DMV tell me that his/her feelings are hurt by a license plate that they personally consider offensive.
    They didn't object to my safe and sane BGSL
    Next one will be VBGSL

Banned
    Since they could have argued different reasons for denying the plate the first time but did not then a summary judgement, if going to court is needed
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 03-13-2013 at 10:38 PM.

im still wondering why we arent all "americans" instead of "this american or that american"....

im american american damnit!
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    im still wondering why we arent all "americans" instead of "this american or that american"....

im american american damnit!
    There are people that live in America and there are Americans and it has nothing to do with where you were born.

Take three examples:

Saslaw who was born here and wants to destroy everything this country was founded on.

Goddard who was not born here and wants to turn this country into what he ran away from.

Scouser who was not born here but is more American than many I know that go back to the beginning.

So there is a difference. I'm not sure how that fits in this thread though.