• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tripoli Rocketry Association Springfest March 15-17 @ Jean Dry Lake

TrmptPlyr

I just wanted to extend an open invitation to come to the Tripoli Vegas Springfest event this weekend March 15th-17th at Jean Dry Lake. Tripoli is a high power rocketry organization made up of a group of great people who love launching big, loud, and fast rockets (these aren't the estes/quest kits from your childhood) If anyone is interested, take a look at www.tripolivegas.com we'd love to see some new faces.

SpringFest2013.jpg

wrightme

Wish I was closer to Vegas!

I went to Gerlach (Black Rock playa) last summer (OC) to watch the weekend of the Google prize attempt (XPRS).

Last edited:

TrmptPlyr

Is there a fee to attend?

It is free to attend/watch/enjoy/stare into the sky in amazement, $10 per person per day to fly, $25 per person for all three days to fly. This is to help cover the BLM fees, port-a-johns etc. Kids are welcome and encouraged as long as you keep them behind the flight line. My 5 year old loves going to launches and will be with me when I'm there. And yes, you can OC! ;)

Things you may want to bring:
Chairs
Water
Sunscreen
Water
Shade (though we usually have plenty of people with pop-ups you can mooch some shade from)
Water
Camera
and maybe some water... (It is the desert after all...)

gunrunner1911

Tripoli Vegas is a great group. I enjoyed my time at LDRS in 07 even though it was hosted by another group who wasn't so gun friendly.
This year we get LDRS at Black Rock. i can't wait are you coming up? Is Scott from Just Rockets still flying? I haven't seen my good friend in a couple of years.

wrightme

When is LDRS at BRD?
I am about 2 hours from there.

The XPRS group (Gerlach Tripoli) didn't flinch at my OC last summer.

I see, July 18-22.

But......

No fireworks or firearms are permitted at LDRS 32, or any other Tripoli Gerlach launches. The BLM will get you!
No Radio Control (RC) aircraft or RC cars will be permitted while the event is open. Note that this restriction does not apply to RC boost gliders flown from the launch pads.

No kite flying will be permitted while the event is open.

???

Last edited:

gunrunner1911

That would be Aeropac and they have been schooled about NV. When I first started with them they too were uneasy about it.
I told them if they don't like everything about NV to stay in the Bay Area and we will create our own group. We don't need you Californicating here. The funny thing is soem of those guys are gun nuts they just won't come "out of the closet" about it. Some still wander into my camp asking about permits usually at night and they wisper like I'm slinging crack.
You've probably seen me and just didn't know. My camp is the yellow Hummer and trailer.

gunrunner1911

Not at all they are letting kids fly under their parents registration. LDRS is more of a family event. The area isn't kid friendly unless they think hanging out at a launch is great as there is nothing to do anywhere near there. Now there are some great desert exploring opportunities and a few hot springs too. If they like that then they will be fine.
BALLS is the extreme of experimental and yes it should be for flyers and adults because of the nature but even there kids are present.
I'm not a huge fan of excessive rules and I'm not too keen on the "We/BLM will get you attitude" of Tripoli Gerlach. BLM can't exactly toss you from the whole playa as the club doesn't get to reserve the whole thing hell even Burning Man can't close the whole place off. BLM are decent guys and I'm not sure they would be inclined to be jerks about it and yes people will wander in to the launch from all over the playa it just happens and no they couldn't charge you just for wandering in out of curiosity.