• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in truck

travisrugerfan

Do I have to have my gun in a holster or anything in my truck when I am driving I know it has to be visible but how do I Need to keep it when driving. Can I keep it out of a holster or just lay it on the dash console passenger seat. What's best.

muccione

Put it within reach, a place that is stable so it doesn't slide and move around while driving.

bellyfat

open means open

front seat or dash board. and its a good idea to inform an leo in a trafic stop. they dont like surprizes.
keep you hands on the steering wheel. dont even point to it. holster is cool. if it looks like gun then its a gun.

frogfish

Yes, from what I have gathered you are perfectly legal to leave the handgun in its holster on your hip while you drive. That's what I do. If I ever get stopped, the first thing I'll say is that "I am legally open carrying a handgun on my person right now, Officer"

k Merck

truck carry

Do I have to have my gun in a holster or anything in my truck when I am driving I know it has to be visible but how do I Need to keep it when driving. Can I keep it out of a holster or just lay it on the dash console passenger seat. What's best.

Go to amazon order a 6x9 sticky matt clean the area place matt on the dash. My sig 229 Scorpion sticks to it like glue and has never come off even in the sharpest of curves. Thats how i do it God Bless and CARRY ON

rotorhead

I used to simply plop mine on the passenger seat and go about my business, until I was involved in an accident a couple of years ago.

Long story short, my gun ended up on the floor boards, pointing straight at me lol. Luckily it didn't go off. In my case it went straight forward and landed that way due to the sudden stoppage, but I have no way of knowing where it may have ended up or what damage it may have caused if the car had flipped or had been hit from a different direction.

But the lesson was learned: Find a way to secure it while traveling. There are several ways to accomplish this and still keep it visible to satisfy the law in terms of openly carrying it while driving. No matter which way you decide, make sure that thing is secure and will keep the gun from freely moving in case of an accident.

Good luck out there.

carolina guy

I used to simply plop mine on the passenger seat and go about my business, until I was involved in an accident a couple of years ago.

Long story short, my gun ended up on the floor boards, pointing straight at me lol. Luckily it didn't go off. In my case it went straight forward and landed that way due to the sudden stoppage, but I have no way of knowing where it may have ended up or what damage it may have caused if the car had flipped or had been hit from a different direction.

But the lesson was learned: Find a way to secure it while traveling. There are several ways to accomplish this and still keep it visible to satisfy the law in terms of openly carrying it while driving. No matter which way you decide, make sure that thing is secure and will keep the gun from freely moving in case of an accident.

Good luck out there.

Nothing like getting a solid piece of firearm in the face in a bad accident, or having it leave the vehicle in a roll-over to be found later by someone else!

WalkingWolf

I always keep mine on my hip, course then I have not been pulled over in a long time. The three times I have been pulled over, first time it was concealed under the seat, and I had a permit. Second and third times I was pulled over by DOT in truck with it on my hip, neither time was anything said about my firearm. Though I received a ticket on one of the occasions that was later overturned by the judge. The only time I informed the officer I had a gun was the first time when the gun was concealed, per NC law.

Last edited:

rotorhead

I always keep mine on my hip, course then I have not been pulled over in a long time. The three times I have been pulled over, first time it was concealed under the seat, and I had a permit. Second and third times I was pulled over by DOT in truck with it on my hip, neither time was anything said about my firearm. Though I received a ticket on one of the occasions that was later overturned by the judge. The only time I informed the officer I had a gun was the first time when the gun was concealed, per NC law.

Exactly, yeah. That's pretty much where mine is kept at all times, too. I hear stories of people saying that some LEOs might take it to be not in plain sight while seated in that position, but I trust in their basic understanding of OC. If it's on your hip, in a holster, it can't get too much more open than that, while also maintaining a positive control of it while driving.

I also haven't been pulled over in quite some time. Hopefully those days are over...

carolina guy

Exactly, yeah. That's pretty much where mine is kept at all times, too. I hear stories of people saying that some LEOs might take it to be not in plain sight while seated in that position, but I trust in their basic understanding of OC. If it's on your hip, in a holster, it can't get too much more open than that, while also maintaining a positive control of it while driving.

I also haven't been pulled over in quite some time. Hopefully those days are over...

I will second that feeling... :)

travisrugerfan

I have been leaving it on my hip in the holster but in my explorer and f150 they have high center consoles and can not been seen on Eather side. So how dose it work. Do I have to tell them I have a fire arm or just on am asked base.

Jamesm760

I have been leaving it on my hip in the holster but in my explorer and f150 they have high center consoles and can not been seen on Eather side. So how dose it work. Do I have to tell them I have a fire arm or just on am asked base.

I would let them know, since LEOs don't like surprises, In a case where they stop you and you don't say anything about having a firearm, and for what everreason they need you to step out of the vehicle, and then you tell them you have a firearm, you will get treated differently than if you upfront with them from the initial encounter. That being said, they can't tell you to get out of the car, just becuase of the fact you told them you have a firearm, then you go into the whole reasonable suspicion thing. I recommend You always have a recording device ready for any LEO encounter. Just make sure you dont make allot of movement in your vehicle, then tell them you have a firearm... on my phone i press 2 buttons, and im recording.

Bottom line, do what you feel comfortable with, people and the forums probably all do different things.

Forgot to add, If a situation comes where you need to use your firearm, how fast will your draw be when you are seated and the seat belt buckle is near the holster (depends on where on your hip you carry).. I have a blackhawk holster with the extra mag puch and that fits perfectly in my center console cup holder, it doesnt move at all, and its easy access.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

You have to decide for yourself what you want to do. As a former LEO I would much rather the gun be left in the holster than laying on the seat, or dash. I also do not need to know, unless the person behind in the car is planning to shoot me, otherwise it is none of my business. Without a permit I would keep my mouth shut, remember the ruling of Black V State. Even in the case of a concealed weapon on a felon, a arrest is a no go without RAS, and if the officer sees the firearm then it is not concealed and legal. If the officer does not see the firearm he does not know it is there and there is no RAS. That is of course unless you give him RAS by telling him. If you have a CHP and he cannot see the firearm then you must tell him, if he sees it obviously you do not have to tell him.