Thread: Will Utah Concealed Carriers Be Betrayed by Governor Herbert?

Will Utah Concealed Carriers Be Betrayed by Governor Herbert?

Utah HB-76 Was approved by the Utah Senate today. Governor Herbert was so opposed to HB-76 -- Constitutional Carry -- that he summoned the sponsor, State Representative John Mathis (R-Vernal) for a little talk.

Why did Rep. Mathis get a scolding? Because the bill was "too pro-gun for Governor Herbert."

Herbert said he made it clear he wants the bill to be limited only to rural areas.

Evidently Governor Herbert thinks if you live in a city, your Second Amendment rights mean less than those of others.

Personally, I believe that it's the potential loss of state revenues that motivates him to stand against Constitutional Carry, more than any other factor. I think the "smart money" is on the Governor's exercise of his Veto power. Pax...

(However, with a 22 Senate votes in favor of the bill, and only 7 against, his veto would only be a political gesture. It should become law since it is over a 2/3 majority.)
    Last edited by Gil223; 03-14-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    Utah HB-76 Was approved by the Utah Senate today. Governor Herbert was so opposed to HB-76 -- Constitutional Carry -- that he summoned the sponsor, State Representative John Mathis (R-Vernal) for a little talk.

Why did Rep. Mathis get a scolding? Because the bill was "too pro-gun for Governor Herbert."

Herbert said he made it clear he wants the bill to be limited only to rural areas.

Evidently Governor Herbert thinks if you live in a city, your Second Amendment rights mean less than those of others.

Personally, I believe that it's the potential loss of state revenues that motivates him to stand against Constitutional Carry, more than any other factor. I think the "smart money" is on the Governor's exercise of his Veto power. Pax...

(However, with a 22 Senate votes in favor of the bill, and only 7 against, his veto would only be a political gesture. It should become law since it is over a 2/3 majority.)
    I spoke with one Senator on Saturday evening who said they kind of hope he does veto it so they can call a special session and override his veto.

Centurion
    I sent Gov. Herbert a tweet today encouraging him to SIGN HB76 into law and SUPPORT THE CONSTITUTION!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Re: Will Utah Concealed Carriers Be Betrayed by Governor Herbert?

Tweet call and just short of stopping by to drop of my letter later this week.

questions comments problems call anytime 8014487574
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

I see in the bill where a person would still need a conceal permit to carry on a school campus/daycare/etc. but I cannot find out if this would affect the "Two actions to fire" rule for those who don't hold a permit.

Will someone please shed some light on this for me?

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    I see in the bill where a person would still need a conceal permit to carry on a school campus/daycare/etc. but I cannot find out if this would affect the "Two actions to fire" rule for those who don't hold a permit.

Will someone please shed some light on this for me?
    Concealment WITHOUT permit as allowed by this bill (if NOT vetoed by Herbert) is limited to UNLOADED ONLY ---- It is in the bill!

For those without a permit the only thing they gain is the ability to "cover" if desired.
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 03-19-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Concealment WITHOUT permit as allowed by this bill (if NOT vetoed by Herbert) is limited to UNLOADED ONLY ---- It is in the bill!

For those without a permit the only thing they gain is the ability to "cover" if desired.
    DOH!!

I don't how how I missed that.

Thanks for the assist.

Centurion
    And I like this bill because: for the criminal who carries ILLEGALLY it changes NOTHING...
    For the Law abiding Citizen/Resident if provides for increased freedom and lessens the government encroachment in their lives!

It isn't as good as it could have been but is an improvement!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Angry Veto

By now I am sure everyone knows that the Governor did indeed VETO the bill. It will be interesting to see if the legislature does hold a special session to override the veto.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.