• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will Utah Concealed Carriers Be Betrayed by Governor Herbert?

Gil223

Utah HB-76 Was approved by the Utah Senate today. Governor Herbert was so opposed to HB-76 -- Constitutional Carry -- that he summoned the sponsor, State Representative John Mathis (R-Vernal) for a little talk.

Why did Rep. Mathis get a scolding? Because the bill was "too pro-gun for Governor Herbert."

Herbert said he made it clear he wants the bill to be limited only to rural areas.

Evidently Governor Herbert thinks if you live in a city, your Second Amendment rights mean less than those of others.

Personally, I believe that it's the potential loss of state revenues that motivates him to stand against Constitutional Carry, more than any other factor. I think the "smart money" is on the Governor's exercise of his Veto power. :uhoh: Pax...

(However, with a 22 Senate votes in favor of the bill, and only 7 against, his veto would only be a political gesture. It should become law since it is over a 2/3 majority.)

Last edited:

rpyne

Utah HB-76 Was approved by the Utah Senate today. Governor Herbert was so opposed to HB-76 -- Constitutional Carry -- that he summoned the sponsor, State Representative John Mathis (R-Vernal) for a little talk.

Why did Rep. Mathis get a scolding? Because the bill was "too pro-gun for Governor Herbert."

Herbert said he made it clear he wants the bill to be limited only to rural areas.

Evidently Governor Herbert thinks if you live in a city, your Second Amendment rights mean less than those of others.

Personally, I believe that it's the potential loss of state revenues that motivates him to stand against Constitutional Carry, more than any other factor. I think the "smart money" is on the Governor's exercise of his Veto power. :uhoh: Pax...

(However, with a 22 Senate votes in favor of the bill, and only 7 against, his veto would only be a political gesture. It should become law since it is over a 2/3 majority.)

I spoke with one Senator on Saturday evening who said they kind of hope he does veto it so they can call a special session and override his veto.

b0neZ

I see in the bill where a person would still need a conceal permit to carry on a school campus/daycare/etc. but I cannot find out if this would affect the "Two actions to fire" rule for those who don't hold a permit.

Will someone please shed some light on this for me?

JoeSparky

Centurion
I see in the bill where a person would still need a conceal permit to carry on a school campus/daycare/etc. but I cannot find out if this would affect the "Two actions to fire" rule for those who don't hold a permit.

Will someone please shed some light on this for me?
Concealment WITHOUT permit as allowed by this bill (if NOT vetoed by Herbert) is limited to UNLOADED ONLY ---- It is in the bill!

For those without a permit the only thing they gain is the ability to "cover" if desired.

Last edited:

b0neZ

Concealment WITHOUT permit as allowed by this bill (if NOT vetoed by Herbert) is limited to UNLOADED ONLY ---- It is in the bill!

For those without a permit the only thing they gain is the ability to "cover" if desired.

DOH!!:banghead:

I don't how how I missed that.

Thanks for the assist.

JoeSparky

Centurion
And I like this bill because: for the criminal who carries ILLEGALLY it changes NOTHING...
For the Law abiding Citizen/Resident if provides for increased freedom and lessens the government encroachment in their lives!

It isn't as good as it could have been but is an improvement!

jpm84092

Veto

By now I am sure everyone knows that the Governor did indeed VETO the bill. It will be interesting to see if the legislature does hold a special session to override the veto.