Thread: Apparently wonders never do cease - NY grand jury refuses to indict

Apparently wonders never do cease - NY grand jury refuses to indict

Putting this here for 2 reasons - it's not already up in the NY forum and because it is of general interest.

stay safe.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/20...ed-13Mar13.htm
    GOSHEN – An Orange County grand jury has cleared a Newburgh man of any charges in the shooting death of another man outside a Liberty Street bar in that city last October.

Charles Alexander, 21, shot and killed Justin Doctor, 23, of Newburgh on October 14 outside the Game Time Bar at 5 a.m.

District Attorney Frank Phillips said the entire incident was captured on surveillance video that the police acquired.
    [snip]

And yet -
    Alexander had no license for the gun he uses, which was not recovered. The grand jury declined to charge him with weapon’s possession
    Last edited by skidmark; 03-14-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member
    Jury nullification at its finest! Where are those JN critics who harp on "the law is the law", etc.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Jury nullification at its finest! Where are those JN critics who harp on "the law is the law", etc.
    Even bad laws which strip people of right, and lead to the deaths of innocents, are laws! They must be obeyed!

-disgusting statist cretin

and yet, i think there will be someone on this very forum who will advocate for the law. even in this case.

wait for it. tick...tick...tick...

I recall that Bernie Goetz, the guy who defended himself from 4 thugs on a NYC subway, also had a gun unregistered in NY. TWO separate grand juries refused to return an indictment. The Queens prosecutor managed to pack a third grand jury with enough anti-gun people to obtain the indictment the third time around. Goetz was eventually convicted of illegal gun possession and spent the minimum, mandatory time in jail, although I can't recall if it was one or two years.

The current case is probably not over.