• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Apparently wonders never do cease - NY grand jury refuses to indict

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Putting this here for 2 reasons - it's not already up in the NY forum and because it is of general interest.

stay safe.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2013/March/13/Alexander_cleared-13Mar13.htm
GOSHEN – An Orange County grand jury has cleared a Newburgh man of any charges in the shooting death of another man outside a Liberty Street bar in that city last October.

Charles Alexander, 21, shot and killed Justin Doctor, 23, of Newburgh on October 14 outside the Game Time Bar at 5 a.m.

District Attorney Frank Phillips said the entire incident was captured on surveillance video that the police acquired.

[snip]

And yet -
Alexander had no license for the gun he uses, which was not recovered. The grand jury declined to charge him with weapon’s possession

Last edited:

Griz

and yet, i think there will be someone on this very forum who will advocate for the law. even in this case.

wait for it. tick...tick...tick...

markand

I recall that Bernie Goetz, the guy who defended himself from 4 thugs on a NYC subway, also had a gun unregistered in NY. TWO separate grand juries refused to return an indictment. The Queens prosecutor managed to pack a third grand jury with enough anti-gun people to obtain the indictment the third time around. Goetz was eventually convicted of illegal gun possession and spent the minimum, mandatory time in jail, although I can't recall if it was one or two years.

The current case is probably not over.