Thread: Custom Holsters and alterations Hampton roads/ Richmond

Custom Holsters and alterations Hampton roads/ Richmond

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any places in Hampton roads or Richmond that do either custom holsters or make alterations to existing leather holsters. Thanks.

Backwoods Leather in Portsmouth can make a holster for just about any gun, I believe.

Agree with Justine. Doesn't hurt that they are next to a real cool gunshop D&R Arms..
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Another vote for Backwoods Leather. I travelled from Richmond because he both could and would make a custom holster - and then he suggested a slight change that made it even better.

Depending on the type of alteration you are wanting, your local shoe repair shop might be able to do it for you. I had a holster that the belt loop was "too big". My shoe repair guy put a few rows of stitching in and not only was it then "just right", the Three Bears never even showed up. He's also repaired stitching that "wore out", and put in a row of stitches to increase the retention on a third holster. (The best part is he & his wife are Koreans who keep supplying me with kim chee when I come to pick up my holsters. Well, that and I get to see the faces of the Carytown ladies who are coming in to pick up their shoes with the new soles & heels or the whole high heel put back on when they see a holster passed over the counter.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Another vote for Backwoods. A few years ago I was I need of an IWB holster for a new custom compact STI in .45 ACP which is a 1911 clone with a square trigger guard. It would not fit all the way into 2 Galco 1911 holsters I have for my Colt 1911. James was at a gun show I attended. He happened to have an IWB holster for a Colt Double Eagle Commander length that was a perfect fit. The holster has served well as my main carry holster. I'll be needing another holster for a second STI and will be seeing him again.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Backwoods does beautiful leather carving on custom holsters, but doesn't bring that to the gun shows.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

+1 to James at Backwoods if your looking for leather. High Threat Concealment in the Hampton/Newport News area for custom thermoformed kydex or boltaron (plastic).

Lets see some pics of the backwoods holsters.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    Lets see some pics of the backwoods holsters.
    He has never to my knowledge had a web site - says he is too busy and doesn't need the hassle that would bring.
    Think he is still a one man shop. I know he has tried to train others, but they don't last.

Maybe someone can download some pictures of theirs.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

As long as he has stock Backwoods should be at the Hampton show this weekend. He's normally in one of the middle rows right before the cross aisle.