• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Custom Holsters and alterations Hampton roads/ Richmond

Mongoose72

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any places in Hampton roads or Richmond that do either custom holsters or make alterations to existing leather holsters. Thanks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another vote for Backwoods Leather. I travelled from Richmond because he both could and would make a custom holster - and then he suggested a slight change that made it even better.

Depending on the type of alteration you are wanting, your local shoe repair shop might be able to do it for you. I had a holster that the belt loop was "too big". My shoe repair guy put a few rows of stitching in and not only was it then "just right", the Three Bears never even showed up.:D He's also repaired stitching that "wore out", and put in a row of stitches to increase the retention on a third holster. (The best part is he & his wife are Koreans who keep supplying me with kim chee when I come to pick up my holsters. Well, that and I get to see the faces of the Carytown ladies who are coming in to pick up their shoes with the new soles & heels or the whole high heel put back on when they see a holster passed over the counter.)

stay safe.

mobeewan

Another vote for Backwoods. A few years ago I was I need of an IWB holster for a new custom compact STI in .45 ACP which is a 1911 clone with a square trigger guard. It would not fit all the way into 2 Galco 1911 holsters I have for my Colt 1911. James was at a gun show I attended. He happened to have an IWB holster for a Colt Double Eagle Commander length that was a perfect fit. The holster has served well as my main carry holster. I'll be needing another holster for a second STI and will be seeing him again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Backwoods does beautiful leather carving on custom holsters, but doesn't bring that to the gun shows.

kord

+1 to James at Backwoods if your looking for leather. High Threat Concealment in the Hampton/Newport News area for custom thermoformed kydex or boltaron (plastic).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Lets see some pics of the backwoods holsters.

He has never to my knowledge had a web site - says he is too busy and doesn't need the hassle that would bring.
Think he is still a one man shop. I know he has tried to train others, but they don't last.

Maybe someone can download some pictures of theirs.

kord

As long as he has stock Backwoods should be at the Hampton show this weekend. He's normally in one of the middle rows right before the cross aisle.