Thread: Open carry complaint calls

Open carry complaint calls

Why don't the police just tell people that call in a complaint, that it's legal ?

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Why don't the police just tell people that call in a complaint, that it's legal ?
    I think many times they do.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I think many times they do.
    Very often in fact, if we can take the drastic drop in overzealous police responses over the years as any evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Anytime a 911 Man With a Gun call comes in, they are going to check it out. It's standard procedure
    They know it's legal to Open carry , But they need to see if there is any INTENT to do anything unlawfull.

If they didn't check it out,and the person open carrying turned out to be a nut on a rampage, It wouldn't look good
    for the department when those 911 tapes hit the media,and it was known that the dispatcher blew off the 911 call.

In the beginning, a call meant an almost definite police response, and one where they were confused as well as thinking their lives might be in danger, (never mind the fact they also liked to screw with us and sometimes still do.)

Now that the police, and portion of the public which has a double digit IQ and some form of attention span knows what OCing is and that it's legal, we have just about no problems anymore from 911 calls. I believe a few years ago MOC even worked with police agencies to develop a protocol.

As far back as 2008, in the wake of the boston market incident, Sheriff Bouchard and I discussed educating dispatchers, which he then did, and after that forwarded his departments information on OCing to the rest of the sheriffs departments in the state. How much the rest of them did with it at that point I don't know, but I do know that the OCSD educated all their cops and dispatchers, and I haven't had or heard of a problem out of them since, at least in regards to OCing.