• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry complaint calls

DetroitBiker

Why don't the police just tell people that call in a complaint, that it's legal ?

Anytime a 911 Man With a Gun call comes in, they are going to check it out. It's standard procedure
They know it's legal to Open carry , But they need to see if there is any INTENT to do anything unlawfull.

If they didn't check it out,and the person open carrying turned out to be a nut on a rampage, It wouldn't look good
for the department when those 911 tapes hit the media,and it was known that the dispatcher blew off the 911 call.

Michigander

In the beginning, a call meant an almost definite police response, and one where they were confused as well as thinking their lives might be in danger, (never mind the fact they also liked to screw with us and sometimes still do.)

Now that the police, and portion of the public which has a double digit IQ and some form of attention span knows what OCing is and that it's legal, we have just about no problems anymore from 911 calls. I believe a few years ago MOC even worked with police agencies to develop a protocol.

As far back as 2008, in the wake of the boston market incident, Sheriff Bouchard and I discussed educating dispatchers, which he then did, and after that forwarded his departments information on OCing to the rest of the sheriffs departments in the state. How much the rest of them did with it at that point I don't know, but I do know that the OCSD educated all their cops and dispatchers, and I haven't had or heard of a problem out of them since, at least in regards to OCing.