• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock either in 40 or 45 cal

brad98801

I have a Glock 19 that I got as my first handgun last august but now im interested in a 40 or 45 caliber is there a glock that's roughly the size of the 19 in 40 or 45 caliber?

Tactical9mm

The G19 is a compact, so the 40 cal equivalent is the G23. The only 45 option in a compact is the G38, which uses the 45 gap round. If you're looking for old-school 45 auto, the only glock option to compare with your G19 is a sub-compact. The G30 (double-stack mag) or G36 (single stack mag). Both of those are awesome, but I personally prefer the G30 for the higher capacity mag (10+1).

Personal recommendation: Keep your G19, and go for a G30sf.

Good luck.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
My primary carry gun is one of my gen3 G23's. Loaded with a premium .40S&W defensive round, this is a hard combination to beat. One well-known gun writer believes the G23 to be the best combat handgun you can carry [paraphrasing his words]. Of course, one is not going to know until the time comes they have to call upon it in their defense, but it is a formidable weapons system.

FreeInAZ

Well the Glock 30 (G30) has been mentioned. Be aware that any pistols in this current market (crazy) are going to cost more & be in short supply. Now as to going from 9mm to 45acp (11mm) - in todays world of high performance ammo a good 9mm in +P or even +P+ (Glock is one of the few makers who state their sidearms can handled these +P+ rounds) might suffice. The point of a pistol is defense period. I own several 45 acp pistols I think they are great. However as I get older, and weaker I find myself looking to shave off weight & bulk when I can from my carry pistols & myself. :p Now ask yourself this? If the 45 you select is bulkier, heavier fully loaded - will you be more apt to carry it on a daily basis? These are questions to consider if you have never carried a 45acp pistol, compact or not. Good luck in your quest. Let us know what you go with. :D

Last edited:

Nascar24Glock

The G19 is a compact, so the 40 cal equivalent is the G23. The only 45 option in a compact is the G38, which uses the 45 gap round. If you're looking for old-school 45 auto, the only glock option to compare with your G19 is a sub-compact. The G30 (double-stack mag) or G36 (single stack mag). Both of those are awesome, but I personally prefer the G30 for the higher capacity mag (10+1).

Personal recommendation: Keep your G19, and go for a G30sf.

Good luck.

Other people have already mentioned the model 23, 38, 30, and 36.

But, here's another one for you to consider: Gen 4 Model 27. That's the sub-compact .40 cal Glock. This means that it is a little smaller than your Model 19. But, I do none-the-less recommend that you check it out. I've used it as my primary carry weapon for over a year now. It's small enough to conceal but still big enough to carry openly. Plus, if you want a larger ammo capacity, it will accept Model 23 (13 rounds) and Model 22 (15 rounds) magazines. Getting the Gen 4 version will allow you to adjust the grip size with removable backstraps and, if applicable, reverse the magazine release button for a left-handed shooter.

FreeInAZ

Almost forgot - if you go the 40 cal route (short 10mm) the G27 has very good reviews & with a mag spacer installed like those from x-grip they can carry the mags from their big brothers in 40 cal while giving you a full grip. :D

cm2624

My first gun was a Glock 21 .45. I later purchased a Glock 27 .40 s@w. It does not matter which caliber you choose, you will probably end up buying the other one down the road.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The most important criteria in deciding upon a self defense handgun is how well do you shoot it? Does it work for you? As another poster mentioned, will you be inclined to carry it all the time you are out and about? Does it fit your lifestyle, wants, needs, and other factors? And once again, how well do you shoot it?

Just because you do well with the G19, this is no guarantee that the G23 will do as well for you. Granted, they are build on the same platform, but they handle an entirely different cartridge. So your best bet is to narrow your selection to guns that feel and fit well in your hand... that just seem to be right. Then get to a range where you can see how you do with them. The proof is in the pudding in this one so do keep all of this in mind.

tomrkba

The Glock 21 Gen4 is an excellent gun. It is what the original Glock 21 should have been. The grip without the spacer feels like that of a Glock 17. The slide to grip relationship makes it look a bit goofy, but it is very accurate and fast to shoot. I recommend it highly. It is more difficult to conceal, but a holster with forward cant makes it manageable.

The Glock 23 in 40 S&W has too much recoil for the size. However, I do not know how the Gen 4 version improves felt recoil; it may be just fine. The Glock 19 allows for faster shooting in the Gen 3 or earlier versions.

Jamesm760

Glock 23 Gen 4 (40S&W) let me tell you why...

To start, the 23 is the same frame size as your 19.

With the Glock 23 however (or any glock chambered in 40S&W) you get 3 glocks in 1...

Glock 19 (all you need is a Lonewolf Conversion barrel that you can buy on ebay and glock 19 mag)
I use the 9mm rounds for plinking, target range. (since they are cheaper)

Glock 32 (all you need is a stock glock 32 barrel, and you can use same 40S&W mag)
I use the 357 Sig rounds mostly in winter, when a BG might have heavier/more clothing.

Glock 23 (all you need is nothing, because that is what you bought)
I use the 40S&W rounds the rest of the year.

So by getting the 23 you get 3 options... options are good.

ALSO! IMO, you can feel a difference with the Gen 4 double recoil spring.
add also that IMO the Gen 4s have a way better factory grip so you dont feel like the firearm will slip out of your hands if your hands get sweaty once in a while. (this only happened to me at the range in summer time when I was shooting the G3 G23) you just feel better control when firing with G4 23, IMO

Last edited:

matt2636

i have a g30. great gun just as accurate as my 21 just as smalle as a 19 or 23 and holds more then a 1911 in that small package.