Thread: WA state CPL holder visiting Florida for a week

WA state CPL holder visiting Florida for a week

I will be coming to FL (FT Lauderdale specifically) for a week, starting the 20th. I am a WA state resident with a WA issued CPL, so it is my understanding that my CPL will be honored in Florida. As such, I plan on bringing my carry firearm.

Any tips/notes I should know about? I don't plan on carrying a ton while there, as I do not have a proper holster for what I will be wearing most of the time, but would like to have a firearm in the car and hotel when we go to drive to disney world.

I see some pretty intimidating videos about accidental exposure, which does happen with my Crossbreed Supertuck and fullsize 1911 at times. Suggestions, advice, tips?

Thanks in advance!
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

Quote Originally Posted by theaero View Post
    I will be coming to FL (FT Lauderdale specifically) for a week, starting the 20th. I am a WA state resident with a WA issued CPL, so it is my understanding that my CPL will be honored in Florida. As such, I plan on bringing my carry firearm.

Any tips/notes I should know about? I don't plan on carrying a ton while there, as I do not have a proper holster for what I will be wearing most of the time, but would like to have a firearm in the car and hotel when we go to drive to disney world.

I see some pretty intimidating videos about accidental exposure, which does happen with my Crossbreed Supertuck and fullsize 1911 at times. Suggestions, advice, tips?

Thanks in advance!
    Your Washington ccl is good in Florida as long as its not a non resident licence. Caution Florida is not as nice as Washington. You can't open carry, there are a couple exceptions for hunting, fishing and target shooting.

Accidentally exposing or printing has been fixed in the law but some police will still give you a hard time for it.
    You won't have any trouble with it in your vehicle. With your ccl you don't need to keep it secured.

I carry all the time in florida, not to much in south Florida but I have never had a problem. Also Florida does not have a duty to inform law so unless a cop asks you don't say anything. Just do your best to conceal and try not to print folks in south Florida might panic lol. Hope you enjoy your visit and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by conandan View Post
    Your Washington ccl is good in Florida as long as its not a non resident licence. Caution Florida is not as nice as Washington. You can't open carry, there are a couple exceptions for hunting, fishing and target shooting.

Accidentally exposing or printing has been fixed in the law but some police will still give you a hard time for it.
    You won't have any trouble with it in your vehicle. With your ccl you don't need to keep it secured.

I carry all the time in florida, not to much in south Florida but I have never had a problem. Also Florida does not have a duty to inform law so unless a cop asks you don't say anything. Just do your best to conceal and try not to print folks in south Florida might panic lol. Hope you enjoy your visit and stay safe.
    Thanks. Sucks about your OC laws. The duty to inform bit is good to know. Does this include firearms in your vehicle if pulled over?
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

Does this include firearms in your vehicle if pulled over?

Yes. You can carry a loaded handgun in the glovebox or otherwise encased without a license while in a vehicle. You can have a loaded long gun anywhere in a vehicle without a license, except concealed on your body (not sure how that would work anyway).
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Thanks. Sucks about your OC laws. The duty to inform bit is good to know. Does this include firearms in your vehicle if pulled over?
    I know. I am in Washington a lot and love being able to OC there. Other than a few funny looks from people I have not had any trouble. Maybe one day Florida will get OC back but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks in advance!
    If you are driving, be careful while traveling through other states getting here. Check CC laws in the states you pass through. Also the laws about having firearms in your vehicle.

If you are flying, be sure to check the laws concerning checking your weapon with the airline you will be using and TSA.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGadgets View Post
    If you are driving, be careful while traveling through other states getting here. Check CC laws in the states you pass through. Also the laws about having firearms in your vehicle.

If you are flying, be sure to check the laws concerning checking your weapon with the airline you will be using and TSA.

We are flying. I've checked the internet and TSA website, and think I have everything situated appropriately.

Bullets need to be stored so they can not AD (in metal or plastic). I have them in magazines.
    Firearm is unloaded, in a opaque case, and completely locked.
    Checking luggage (obviously)

This is my first time flying with a firearm, so I hope it goes smoothly.
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

We are flying. I've checked the internet and TSA website, and think I have everything situated appropriately.

Bullets need to be stored so they can not AD (in metal or plastic). I have them in magazines.
    Firearm is unloaded, in a opaque case, and completely locked.
    Checking luggage (obviously)

This is my first time flying with a firearm, so I hope it goes smoothly.
    On the loaded magazines...make sure the top rounds are covered, like in a mag pouch. Also make sure you check the airlines rules - They may be more stringent than those of the TSA.

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    On the loaded magazines...make sure the top rounds are covered, like in a mag pouch. Also make sure you check the airlines rules - They may be more stringent than those of the TSA.

If they are in the foam cutout of my guncase, is that sufficient?
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

If they are in the foam cutout of my guncase, is that sufficient?
    Depends on the airline's rules.

Just decided to bring a box. On the plane now, and it was pretty quick and easy dealing with TSA.
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

That's not a term you hear when dealing with the TSA. Quick and easy, wow. Glad you didn't have any troubles and enjoy your stay in florida.

Thanks! FL is home away from home. All family is here, and i was born here. GF and I are on our way to Orlando. CCing on the way, but not in the park. From what I understand, Disney's security is pretty top notch. I *may* CC in the park tomorrow, as it will be cooler. A full sized 1911 IWB with high temps and humidity + walking around for 9 hours doesn't sound like a good time. I'll take my chances :P
    Last edited by theaero; 03-22-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-