• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming back to Gastonia, NC and have a few questions.

USMCRET.

Hello all, Im new to this form but it came highly recommended from one of my USMC bothers so I figured why not. Im coming back from Hawaii, which pretty much stomps on your 2nd amendment rights:banghead:, so Im excited :banana: and looking to OC at least until I can CC. However, this comes with a few questions which I will list bellow.

1. In NC, if OCing, what information am I required to give to the police if stopped. IE: Name, Id, ect.

2. Areas of NC to avoid. IE: Stores that are not firearm friendly or cities/counties that have restrictive statutes.

3. While driving do I need to remove my firearm from my hip due to the fact that the seatbelt or anything else could unintentionally conceal my firearm?

4.Do I need to have a permit for the firearm while I am operating a motor vehicle? (I only ask because I have seen some states require you to have a permit while in a vehicle but not if you are walking.)

5. Does anyone have an experienced and knowledgeable attorney to recommend in case I have any legal questions or I am forced to defend my life with my firearm?

6. I see on some other threads there are OCing meetings/get togethers. What goes on during these get togethers discussion of laws, rallies, or is this just a way to meet like minded people? (I understand groups may very)

Thank you very much for reading/answering my questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated and I apologize if any of the questions are already covered in other threads I just do not have the time to comb through hundreds of threads for answers and as Im sure you know it is hard to get specific answers via a google search.

bellyfat

open carry in car

if you can leagaly own a handgun, you can open carry in your car.
that means place it on the dashboard when in a trafic stop.
no permit of any kind is required.
stay away from chappel hill and the research triangle area of north carolina. unless you are looking to be a test case.
seat belts are a gray area. best to carry it on the seat next to you, or on the dash board. open means open.
better yet; move to lincolnton, nc. your less likely to need the gun. lol
ive lived in both city's and it's 2 totaly differen worlds.
thanks for you sevice...good luck

dmatting

1. In NC, if OCing, what information am I required to give to the police if stopped. IE: Name, Id, ect.
This would depend on how or why you are stopped. I would assume that you mean while walking along somewhere and not driving in a vehicle. If that is the case, then I would suggest asking "Am I free to go?". If the answer is NO, then ask if you are being detained. If the answer to that is no, then repeat the first question until the officer acquiesces and states that you are free to go. If the officer states that you are being detained, ask for what reason and then say no more without a lawyer present. OCing is not illegal in NC and it in no way presents a reason for an officer to stop you.

2. Areas of NC to avoid. IE: Stores that are not firearm friendly or cities/counties that have restrictive statutes.
Chapel Hill has a minimum length requirement on the pistol with which you OC - i think 6". I'm sure there will be lots of hearsay about Cary and Durham and maybe even Raleigh, but it is just hearsay. I have yet to hear of anyone being detained or arrested in any of these areas. As for businesses, just look for a gunbuster sign as you walk in - if there isn't one you're good to go. If asked to leave by the proprietor, then leave. Places that serve alcohol are verboten.

3. While driving do I need to remove my firearm from my hip due to the fact that the seatbelt or anything else could unintentionally conceal my firearm?
I agree with many on this forum that if it is on your hip, then you are carrying it openly and frankly that is the safest place for the gun to be - secured in its holster. With that said, however, I myself will either put it on the dash or on the seat next to me - or keep it in my holster while I carry my CHP. I only say this because I have no idea how a particular officer will perceive it. So, in theory I agree with them but in practice, I puss out. :lol:

4.Do I need to have a permit for the firearm while I am operating a motor vehicle? (I only ask because I have seen some states require you to have a permit while in a vehicle but not if you are walking.)
No

BTW, I am not a lawyer...

Find the stickied thread about the NC Carry Flyer and download it.

ncwabbit

first and foremost, thanks for your service to your country and welcome the forum...

here are a few links for your reading pleasure...

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws-rev2011.pdf section ten advises you about vehicle xport.

this is a good start to do some generic reading on NC firearm laws. if you wish to delve into specific statutes then visit

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

I AM NOT AN Attorney...however, NC does not have a provision to provide id if walking and stopped, however you must produce a valid operator's permit when driving.

wabbit

USMCRET.

Thanks for the info. Ive have been reading some of the experiences in the form and it seems as though ocing has not really caused any problems for any of you guys and girls other than some dirty looks. So I'm a little less nervous about it than before. I just want to be prepared in the case of someone questioning me about OCing or its legality. As far as looks go I could care less if someone wants to get angry about what rights I choose to exercise. And my personal opinion is if you do not use your 2A rights than they will wither away.

No one knows any good pro 2A attorneys?

Thanks again!