Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Home Defense situation gone wrong....

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Home Defense situation gone wrong....

    YAKIMA, Wash. — The pregnant Terrace Heights woman shot by her husband last week died Wednesday.
    Yakima County Coroner Jack Hawkins said 27-year-old McKaylee Higgs had been on life support and died Wednesday evening at Yakima Regional Medical and Cardiac Center after she was taken off a respirator.


    Sheriff’s deputies have said Higgs’ husband, 25-year-old Cory Lindblom, shot his wife in the bedroom of their duplex on Nola Loop after he mistook her for an intruder.


    http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/yhr...last-week-dies
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 03-15-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: link fixed
    Live Free or Die!

  2. #2
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    As HankT would say, he was a Goof With A Gun..
    tragic!
    criminal!
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 03-15-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  3. #3
    Regular Member Batousaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kitsap Co., Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,234

    - Target ID ... Target ID... Target ID !!! ~

    As I have taught my wife and daughter pretty much everything they know about defensive handgunning, I have stressed and stressed and stressed TARET IDENTIFICATION. Knowing exactly what you are about to fire upon is paramount. Knowing whats behind your target can be just as important. Is the wall behind your target your childs room? Where is your target located, where are other members of the family you are protecting located? Etc, Etc, Etc. Your environment, the knowledge of the participants, their placement, their roles, threat levels etc... wow...

    - I feel sorry for this couple, indeed tragic. It could have so easily been avoided.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

  4. #4
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Was it intentional or was it just plain stupidity that caused this young pregnant woman her and her babies life?

    Personally, I do not buy it was an accident!

    Put yourself in the same shoes as he was, and I asked myself, how could I shoot with out identifying a threat and if in fact if there was an actually threat! and full well knowing your pregnant wife was home!

    Just a week before in another incident here in Yakima, a man is accused of shooting and killing his wife after attending a movie, there is evil around us and with the threats of more restrictions for those who abide by the law, would not have stopped either one of these killings.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  5. #5
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Lately I have posted a few times and brought out the issue of Necessary and Reasonable and well have received some flak over this position and if the man who killed his wife in their home subscribed to this very issue, she would be alive today.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  6. #6
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Was it intentional or was it just plain stupidity that caused this young pregnant woman her and her babies life?

    Personally, I do not buy it was an accident!

    Put yourself in the same shoes as he was, and I asked myself, how could I shoot with out identifying a threat and if in fact if there was an actually threat! and full well knowing your pregnant wife was home!

    Just a week before in another incident here in Yakima, a man is accused of shooting and killing his wife after attending a movie, there is evil around us and with the threats of more restrictions for those who abide by the law, would not have stopped either one of these killings.
    Today is truly a historical day that should be calender marked and remembered for all generations....

    I actually agree with BigDave on something.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Lindblom told investigators he started shooting when he woke up and saw someone in their bedroom.


    I wake up and see someone in my bedroom...well I automatically just start a-blastin away ..

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Lindblom told investigators he started shooting when he woke up and saw someone in their bedroom.


    I wake up and see someone in my bedroom...well I automatically just start a-blastin away ..
    Perhaps he was just following Joe Biden's advice....

    I am suspicious of the husband's story, doesn't add up.
    Live Free or Die!

  9. #9
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Lindblom told investigators he started shooting when he woke up and saw someone in their bedroom.


    I wake up and see someone in my bedroom...well I automatically just start a-blastin away ..
    That method really only works if you live alone. It definitely doesn't work if you share a bed.
    As Batousaii already pointed out, positive target identification is paramount.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  10. #10
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Lindblom told investigators he started shooting when he woke up and saw someone in their bedroom.
    I wake up and see someone in my bedroom...well I automatically just start a-blastin away ..
    Not sure where you read that he woke up and saw someone in the bedroom? I have been following this story since last Friday when it occurred and the greater part reported by the news was constantly changing as he was shot twice, then once in the stomach to now in the neck and from 2 shots to somewhere around 9 shots were fired to he heard something in the bedroom and started shooting.

    mcbeth your last statement was just plain stupid in jest, sarcasm or otherwise.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  11. #11
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,

    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    As HankT would say, he was a Goof With A Gun..
    tragic!
    criminal!
    Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    As I have taught my wife and daughter pretty much everything they know about defensive handgunning, I have stressed and stressed and stressed TARET IDENTIFICATION. Knowing exactly what you are about to fire upon is paramount. Knowing whats behind your target can be just as important. Is the wall behind your target your childs room? Where is your target located, where are other members of the family you are protecting located? Etc, Etc, Etc. Your environment, the knowledge of the participants, their placement, their roles, threat levels etc... wow...

    - I feel sorry for this couple, indeed tragic. It could have so easily been avoided.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Lindblom told investigators he started shooting when he woke up and saw someone in their bedroom.


    I wake up and see someone in my bedroom...well I automatically just start a-blastin away ..
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Perhaps he was just following Joe Biden's advice....

    I am suspicious of the husband's story, doesn't add up.
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    That method really only works if you live alone. It definitely doesn't work if you share a bed.
    As Batousaii already pointed out, positive target identification is paramount.
    When I lived with wives or girl friends,
    If I woke up and saw someone in my bed room,
    I didnt shoot!
    I said, hi honey, come back to bed!

    I cant buy this guys story for a moment!

    I had said this was tragic, criminal, now I just say criminal!
    No way a guy can shoot his wife and just excuse it as, I saw, I shot, humph, didnt know.

    It is, at least, negligent homicide!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  12. #12
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Perhaps he was just following Joe Biden's advice....

    I am suspicious of the husband's story, doesn't add up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    When I lived with wives or girl friends,
    If I woke up and saw someone in my bed room,
    I didnt shoot!
    I said, hi honey, come back to bed!

    I cant buy this guys story for a moment!

    I had said this was tragic, criminal, now I just say criminal!
    No way a guy can shoot his wife and just excuse it as, I saw, I shot, humph, didnt know.

    It is, at least, negligent homicide!
    +1 on both posts. Something smells about this story.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    8
    Open carry WML (or a flashlight) could have prevented this.

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1

    Wish I had known about this thread earlier.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    As HankT would say, he was a Goof With A Gun..
    tragic!
    criminal!
    First, and foremost everyone going off the news is completely and utterly WRONG. I want you all to stop and think for a moment. You worked a 10 hour shift. Get home from work, around 2am, watch a bit of TV, unwind and climb into bed with your wife. You are startled awake by something loud and in a panic do not put your eyeglasses on. Your wife was supposed to be at work an hour ago and no one else lives in the house. This ****** Cory up. He loved McKaylee and was extremely excited about being a dad. I feel so sorry for him and her family, to have to make a decision to take her off life support. This affected so many people. There are morons in the world, and bad people, he is not one of them.

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by AirAssistOne2 View Post
    First, and foremost everyone going off the news is completely and utterly WRONG. I want you all to stop and think for a moment. You worked a 10 hour shift. Get home from work, around 2am, watch a bit of TV, unwind and climb into bed with your wife. You are startled awake by something loud and in a panic do not put your eyeglasses on. Your wife was supposed to be at work an hour ago and no one else lives in the house. This ****** Cory up. He loved McKaylee and was extremely excited about being a dad. I feel so sorry for him and her family, to have to make a decision to take her off life support. This affected so many people. There are morons in the world, and bad people, he is not one of them.
    A bit unusual that, after over 2 years, you should register and go direct to this thread. Did you live in Washington?; did you know the husband well?

    While I am not making any accusation of foul play, at the very least he violated one of the cardinal rules: Know your intended target.

    Tired, no eyeglasses, no one else supposed to be home, even disoriented - all understood, but none of these constitute a threat. He will have to live with the results of his actions. His wife and unborn child will not have that opportunity.

    In many states his actions likely would have resulted in a charge of at least either voluntary or involuntary manslaughter.
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...m/manslaughter

    State of Washington statutory application:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.32.060

    Sad, very sad. Better training and reaction could have, should have, prevented this.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •