Thread: Cpl class!!

Cpl class!!

It's been a minute since i posted. But i wanted to inform everyone i take my cpl class tomorrow for the first time at 9am. Super excited but is their anything i needa know?

Cpl class!!

Don't shoot the instructor....
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Pay attention, follow directions, ask if something isn't clear...
    esp. if you're going to be handling guns.
    Realize you're there to learn, not to show off your knowledge.

However, if the instructor quotes or references any laws, get the statute reference so you can read them yourself. Don't just believe what someone tells you.* (Warning - some people, usually those who can't back up what they say, will get mad about this.)

And +1 on "don't shoot the instructor".

* I tell my students this, and include statute text & numbers in my powerpoint, then tell them to ask a lawyer to explain anything they still don't get.
    And one time I explained the "GF"SZ law to a friend who happens to be a cop, who had misunderstood part of it, then told him to go look it up & read it himself, don't take my word for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Mine handed out the certificates in the beginning of the class and said the only way he'd take 'em away is if he got shot.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Mine handed out the certificates in the beginning of the class and said the only way he'd take 'em away is if he got shot.
    So what happened? Did you get to keep the certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Now you tell me!
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Cpl class!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Now you tell me!
    I would have told you earlier, but you make constant snipes at me...
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by cm2624 View Post
    So what happened? Did you get to keep the certificate?
    lol yes I did. Apparently a woman from one of his earlier classes almost didn't.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Thats for all the comments and i passed. It was super easy most of it i already knew i did learn new stuff aswell. The instructer was a local cop and very very helpful with all my questions and feild training. I understand the process isn't over but i cant wait till i get my cpl! And im gonna keep studying and reading our laws.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    lol yes I did. Apparently a woman from one of his earlier classes almost didn't.
    Almost didn't, not good. When I took mine the instructor said he only failed one person. He told us that the person told him that he could not wait to go out and shoot people.

pawn99, the first few times carrying concealed is strange. But, you will soon realize that nobody even notices.

pawn99, the first few times carrying concealed is strange. But, you will soon realize that nobody even notices.
    Haha oh i bet! I cant wait

Quote Originally Posted by pawn99 View Post
    Haha oh i bet! I cant wait
    Now you will spend every day waiting for the CPL to come in the mail! It gets worse every day waiting, but it will get there eventually. Then head to Wal Mart for nachos, of course, carrying concealled!

Now you will spend every day waiting for the CPL to come in the mail! It gets worse every day waiting, but it will get there eventually. Then head to Wal Mart for nachos, of course, carrying concealled!
    Haha oh it already feels like a lifetime. Everywhere me and my family goes my sidearm will be attached to my hip! I bet once i get passed the few times carrying i'll forget it's their. But if i ever have to disarm i bet it feels weird as hell without it.