Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to NV and looking for...

New to NV and looking for...

Good day NV OCDO,

I recently transferred to Las Vegas, but have been lurking for a year-ish because I knew the move was coming. I came from Arkansas where OC is not legal...yet. Therefore I have my AR CHCL, and due to reciprocity, that is a right that I am exercising here. I currently carry my Sig 1911 STX in my Old Faithful hybrid IWB holster. I attempted OC with said holster, but a gun store employee said that was not legal. Curious as to the NRS that states that. The same amount of the pistol is exposed above the holster as would be with an OWB holster. So I covered up. Waiting to get my HHG out of Govt storage so I can make my OWB holster.

Anywho, with the risk of breaking rule #(10) WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE/TRADE" OR RAFFLE ADS: We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such)....

I am looking to add a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator to my collection. I am not asking anyone to sell me there's (because of the rule), but rather would like to know if there might be one around locally that might be for sale. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. If you would feel better PMing me due to the fore mentioned rule, that would be great too.

Thanks,
    Noah

First. Are you now a NV res? If so your AR CCW is no longer valid. A NV resident can only conceal in NV on a NV CC.

Second. If you are not a NV resident then nothing about your holster is against the law. You can show it or not. What store told you this?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    First. Are you now a NV res? If so your AR CCW is no longer valid. A NV resident can only conceal in NV on a NV CC.

Second. If you are not a NV resident then nothing about your holster is against the law. You can show it or not. What store told you this?
    No, I am not changing my residency to NV. Gonna maintain my AR DL and CHCL.

Wasn't sure if is would be appropriate to dime out the store (being so new and all). Lock & Load.

Just so there are no questions, this is what my OC would look like.

Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by njkennelly; 03-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.

IANAL! The comments below are my own opinion only!

Perfectly and totally legal in Nevada.

First, there is no law against open carry, only prohibiting concealed carry unless you have a permit that this state recognizes, in which case you are legal to open carry, conceal your handgun, or anything in-between.

By the way, the definition of concealed in Nevada law is:
    “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or other firearm which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.
    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-2...#NRS202Sec3653

The way you are carrying IS open carry IMO.

One of us need to stop in at L&L and tell them so.

Ken
    Last edited by CowboyKen; 03-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.

IMHO, that pistol and holster, worn in that fashion, fits 'discernible by ordinary observation;' Thus, should not be considered to be 'concealed.'
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Lock and Load are always full of loads of crap lately. If you want to know about the law, this is the place. The gun stores in town are horrible at the law.

And that would sure seem to be OC, even if not, your covered by your permit.

Thanks all for the replies. At the moment at the store I covered because I was not 100% positive. Then came here for the truth. I've been OCDO member for a couple years I think. I follow KS (my home of record for Mil purposes), AR (where I was most recently stationed & where my DL/CHCL are), and NV (the promised land). The only reason I'm keeping those in AR is reciprocity with like 38 states, a good portion of which I frequent.

Keep the replies coming.

Noah

Also, I would like some opinions for good guns stores. As I am trying to add that particular pistol to the collection, where should I go and why?

For the purpose of ccw permit and buying firearms - if you RESIDE in NV on military orders (regardless of what your LES says or your home of records) then you should be able to purchase firearms and obtain a resident ccw in the state of NV. On a seperate note - do you enjoy paying income tax to a state you dont live in? My home of record is texas for that very reason, but nevada has no state income tax either

Yes I am aware of being able to purchase firearms in a state I'm not a resident of with Mil Orders, I've done that several times. Actually I've educated a few on this too.

For the purpose of State Income Tax...if I don't pay income tax to NV will I still get a State Tax Return from NV. For example, last year I paid KS $939 in income tax and they gave me back $1,135. I know it's not much of an increase, but it's a nice lump some at the beginning of the year. Whereas I don't really miss the $78 a month.

Thanks for looking out.
    Last edited by njkennelly; 03-16-2013 at 02:35 AM.

When you change residency, you should also fill out a new W4 noting the change. Then the state tax withholding would be that of the new state.

IIRC, in the military, tax withholding is based upon your 'home of record.'
    Last edited by wrightme; 03-16-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

So, nobody know of any gun store worth mentioning?

I recommend Wild West Guns. They are on Wynn road and Ali Babba I believe.

What side of town are you on?

Centennial Hills/Providence area.

New Frontier Armory in NLV is a good shop, with good customer service.

mbogo

I have an uncle mikes owb paddle holster for the 1911 if you feel like you need to carry that way but how you are carrying is fine and looks more comfortable IMO.

Hey JDHOLMES how much u trying to get for that holster?

Quote Originally Posted by njkennelly View Post
    So, nobody know of any gun store worth mentioning?
    I don't know if it is worth mentioning, but have you tried the Base Exchange in Nellis? They have a pretty decent selection of pistols, they carry plenty of Glocks, RIA, Magnum Research, EAA, Steyr, Taurus, Springfield Armory, Remington R-1, Para-Ordnance, S&W M&K, Walther, Sig Sauer, H&K, CZ. You could also put in an order.

NFA hooks all military folks up. I personally know the owner. He is a coworker of mine. The BX is a little overpriced on handguns but Guido discounts his.
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

NFA? Sorry don't know that abbreviation yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DooFster View Post
    NFA hooks all military folks up. I personally know the owner. He is a coworker of mine. The BX is a little overpriced on handguns but Guido discounts his.
    Quote Originally Posted by njkennelly View Post
    NFA? Sorry don't know that abbreviation yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo470 View Post
    New Frontier Armory in NLV is a good shop, with good customer service.

mbogo

You will happily drive across town to enjoy the great relationship you can have with the folks at Wild West Guns on Wynn Road in the SW. Tell them we sent you.

You were openly carrying. You should write a letter to Lock-n-Load and ask the owner to tell his staff to stop giving out legal advice. Let us know the response, please.

You will not receive any kind of state income tax paperwork in NV.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

This is interesting, I have been meaning to visit NFA! Are the savings substantial even with taxes and the background fee?

I have yet to be offered a discount on anything at NFA, other than FFL transfers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast