• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to NV and looking for...

njkennelly

Good day NV OCDO,

I recently transferred to Las Vegas, but have been lurking for a year-ish because I knew the move was coming. I came from Arkansas where OC is not legal...yet. Therefore I have my AR CHCL, and due to reciprocity, that is a right that I am exercising here. I currently carry my Sig 1911 STX in my Old Faithful hybrid IWB holster. I attempted OC with said holster, but a gun store employee said that was not legal. Curious as to the NRS that states that. The same amount of the pistol is exposed above the holster as would be with an OWB holster. So I covered up. Waiting to get my HHG out of Govt storage so I can make my OWB holster.

Anywho, with the risk of breaking rule #(10) WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE/TRADE" OR RAFFLE ADS: We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such)....

I am looking to add a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator to my collection. I am not asking anyone to sell me there's (because of the rule), but rather would like to know if there might be one around locally that might be for sale. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. If you would feel better PMing me due to the fore mentioned rule, that would be great too.

Thanks,
Noah

Vegassteve

First. Are you now a NV res? If so your AR CCW is no longer valid. A NV resident can only conceal in NV on a NV CC.

Second. If you are not a NV resident then nothing about your holster is against the law. You can show it or not. What store told you this?

njkennelly

First. Are you now a NV res? If so your AR CCW is no longer valid. A NV resident can only conceal in NV on a NV CC.

Second. If you are not a NV resident then nothing about your holster is against the law. You can show it or not. What store told you this?

No, I am not changing my residency to NV. Gonna maintain my AR DL and CHCL.

Wasn't sure if is would be appropriate to dime out the store (being so new and all). Lock & Load.

Just so there are no questions, this is what my OC would look like.

IMG_2343.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

CowboyKen

IANAL! The comments below are my own opinion only!

Perfectly and totally legal in Nevada.

First, there is no law against open carry, only prohibiting concealed carry unless you have a permit that this state recognizes, in which case you are legal to open carry, conceal your handgun, or anything in-between.

By the way, the definition of concealed in Nevada law is:
“Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or other firearm which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653

The way you are carrying IS open carry IMO.

One of us need to stop in at L&L and tell them so.

Ken

Last edited:

wrightme

IMHO, that pistol and holster, worn in that fashion, fits 'discernible by ordinary observation;' Thus, should not be considered to be 'concealed.'

Vegassteve

Lock and Load are always full of loads of crap lately. If you want to know about the law, this is the place. The gun stores in town are horrible at the law.

And that would sure seem to be OC, even if not, your covered by your permit.

njkennelly

Thanks all for the replies. At the moment at the store I covered because I was not 100% positive. Then came here for the truth. I've been OCDO member for a couple years I think. I follow KS (my home of record for Mil purposes), AR (where I was most recently stationed & where my DL/CHCL are), and NV (the promised land). The only reason I'm keeping those in AR is reciprocity with like 38 states, a good portion of which I frequent.

Keep the replies coming.

Noah

njkennelly

Also, I would like some opinions for good guns stores. As I am trying to add that particular pistol to the collection, where should I go and why?

vegaspassat

For the purpose of ccw permit and buying firearms - if you RESIDE in NV on military orders (regardless of what your LES says or your home of records) then you should be able to purchase firearms and obtain a resident ccw in the state of NV. On a seperate note - do you enjoy paying income tax to a state you dont live in? My home of record is texas for that very reason, but nevada has no state income tax either

njkennelly

Yes I am aware of being able to purchase firearms in a state I'm not a resident of with Mil Orders, I've done that several times. Actually I've educated a few on this too.

For the purpose of State Income Tax...if I don't pay income tax to NV will I still get a State Tax Return from NV. For example, last year I paid KS $939 in income tax and they gave me back $1,135. I know it's not much of an increase, but it's a nice lump some at the beginning of the year. Whereas I don't really miss the $78 a month.

Thanks for looking out.

Last edited:

wrightme

When you change residency, you should also fill out a new W4 noting the change. Then the state tax withholding would be that of the new state.

IIRC, in the military, tax withholding is based upon your 'home of record.'

Last edited:

jdholmes

I have an uncle mikes owb paddle holster for the 1911 if you feel like you need to carry that way but how you are carrying is fine and looks more comfortable IMO.

Bernymac

So, nobody know of any gun store worth mentioning?

I don't know if it is worth mentioning, but have you tried the Base Exchange in Nellis? They have a pretty decent selection of pistols, they carry plenty of Glocks, RIA, Magnum Research, EAA, Steyr, Taurus, Springfield Armory, Remington R-1, Para-Ordnance, S&W M&K, Walther, Sig Sauer, H&K, CZ. You could also put in an order.

DooFster

NFA hooks all military folks up. I personally know the owner. He is a coworker of mine. The BX is a little overpriced on handguns but Guido discounts his.