• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have experience with the BlackHawk Level 3 Serpa? & a pic of my 1911.

USMCRET.

Just wondering if any one has used the BlackHawk Level 3 Serpa. Especially if you have a 1911! Im wondering because Im thinking of using one for extra security and I was hoping the cover would go in-between the hammer and firing pin due to the single action of the 1911.
View attachment 10126

USMCRET.

It seems that way. And the only pictures I can find are of level 2:banghead:. I would just like to have something in-between the hammer and the firing pin for extra safety.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Just went through Blackhawk's product listing. They make 3 Level 3 models for the 1911 but they're the same as for all others, and no pictures anywhere with a real 1911 rather than a SA in the holster.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Just wondering if any one has used the BlackHawk Level 3 Serpa. Especially if you have a 1911! Im wondering because Im thinking of using one for extra security and I was hoping the cover would go in-between the hammer and firing pin due to the single action of the 1911.
View attachment 10126

As long as your 1911 safety functions correctly, you do not need anything between the hammer and FP. Your brain is what keeps protects you from a negligent discharge. IMO it is more important to cover the safety, for safety's sake, then having a piece of plastic between the hammer and FP. BUT even without that, if you train to not touch the safety UNTIL you are on target your brain will automatically know not to touch it until then.

USMCRET.

As long as your 1911 safety functions correctly, you do not need anything between the hammer and FP. Your brain is what keeps protects you from a negligent discharge.

I agree that training, knowledge, and muscle memory are key to safety. However, The key words here are "As long as your 1911 safety functions correctly" firearms do malfunction and you have no idea whether the safety that worked fine 10mins ago is still functioning properly due to powers outside of your control. Granted this is a very small chance but having a child I want to have the extra safety and the extra retention.

WalkingWolf

I agree that training, knowledge, and muscle memory are key to safety. However, The key words here are "As long as your 1911 safety functions correctly" firearms do malfunction and you have no idea whether the safety that worked fine 10mins ago is still functioning properly due to powers outside of your control. Granted this is a very small chance but having a child I want to have the extra safety and the extra retention.

I'll be honest, I do not rely on safeties. The majority of the time I carry a very old Colt 51 cartridge conversion, there are no safeties. I have carried a single action either revolver or semi auto most of my life. My first handgun was a 49 Colt clone pocket pistol(I still have it), no safeties, just cock and fire. So I carry my 1911 in the same fashion(condition 2), but most people carry condition 1 which is perfectly safe. If your gun is in working order I highly doubt it will have a dysfunction. The thumb safety from the factory is positive(does not come off without some force). That is not going to change unless you or someone else buggers with the gun. Leave it alone it is supposed to take some force to disengage it, if it does not, then send it back to be repaired. Otherwise relax, train, relax, train, do not ever touch the safety until you are on target and need your gun. You will be fine as long as you trust the safety to stay on and leave your fingers/thumb off of it while carrying. When you start your day VISUALLY make sure the safety is on before holstering, and to be repetitive past annoyance, keep your thumb off of it until you need it.

BTW keep your fingers/thumb off the safety until you need it, and are on target.

I'll get down off my pulpit now, and stop preaching.

PS two things about your children, they cannot get your gun while it is in a holster on your hip, or locked in a secure box/safe. But they should also be taught to not touch a gun, any gun, unless supervised by an adult.

Last edited:

USMCRET.

I am not implying that there would be an incident or that you are incorrect. I am simply stating my personal preference.

WalkingWolf

I am not implying that there would be an incident or that you are incorrect. I am simply stating my personal preference.

Grrrr I lost my post. :(

And I respect that, I believe in personal preference, just trying to put your mind at ease. If you look at the working side of 1911 thumb safety, and the working part of the hammer, you will see a semi round cut in the hammer and a semi round section of the working part of the safety, that does not make contact with the sear. When the safety is engaged, the round areas mate making it impossible for the hammer to move forward by enough to strike the primer, even if the sear fails. I guess you could call it a fourth safety in the 1911 that many people do not realize is there.

175626.jpg

Attachments

• a4c0a6ab8e45e12dd0c1b0bca92711f2.jpg
    a4c0a6ab8e45e12dd0c1b0bca92711f2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

carolina guy

I know the feeling, and that is one of the main reasons that I carry my Hi-Power condition 3.