• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA and open carry

stealthyeliminator

OC is also defensive carry. IMO, it is more defensive than CC because it has a deterrent aspect and requires less fumbling if deployment becomes necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I totally agree.

Also, requiring concealment could easily prevent someone from carrying at all in, say, the Texas summer heat. I can't afford to purchase multiple holsters and multiple firearms just to keep it concealed so I don't "scare" somebody, and even if I could afford it I shouldn't have to compromise on barrel length or caliber or magazine capacity just because of my size and frame... Requiring concealment may not seem like a big deal to some people, but for others it could easily become unreasonably restrictive.

And that also comes into play with the fumbling to deploy. It's already harder to deploy being concealed at all. Add that with some setups it could require two hands to draw in a reasonable amount of time, which could prevent you from performing a proper defensive draw, such as when someone is swinging something at you. Add also that if you are of small size and frame, you'll have to position your pistol in even deeper cover, making it even more inaccessible, and perhaps even preventing you from being able to draw at all with a full grip on the pistol (I forget the technical term for this).

Now tell me again CCers, how much more tactical is concealed carry? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I been NRA life member for about 41 years.

I was in the Neal Knoxs faction. I always believed that the NRA talked a lot did little because they were into making money.

Once you established constitutional carry and it becomes the norm they loose a huge amount of power and cash.

They now revert back to a target shooting, hunting, training organization that has limited membership and power.

A lot of the NRAs top people still believe only the right people should have guns and only they should have the right type of guns.

They seem to have improved a little bit the last several years but they still are a bit slow on supporting full constitutional carry rights.

Are they the best no are they the worse no, can they be better yes and they can improve, we just have to keep the pressure on them.

I support carrying your firearm ay way you want open, concealed, loaded, unloaded as long as your safe and are not committing crimes with it.

Last edited:

NMOCr

The fact is that NRA is shooting themselves in the foot when they push an CCW lawsuit and political agenda without also recognizing Open carrying. SCOTUS and most appeals courts have stated that CCW can be restricted, or outright banned, but that OC'n is the "lawful mode of carry". Just because the public doesnt like Open carrying, doesnt mean much to the courts. The courts have a black and white idea on the lawful "mode of carry". To them, CCW is "bad" and OC is "good". As long as NRA, and CALGUNS keep losing in federal court on the CCW issue, it makes the ability to even open carry a gun that much harder to occur, thereby getting EVERYTHING banned.

ron73440

I think WalkingWolf is right, there is no money to be made if you carry with no special permission slip from the government.

While they claim to support the right, there isn't a lot of support for exercising that right, unless you've asked for permission like a good peasant and paid the fees.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Another problem is that some states require you to purchase a permission slip to OC, and some states require permission to buy guns and ammo.

sudden valley gunner

We had an OC table at a gun show the weekend before last.....right next to NRA, who kept arguing for CC, but their booth was so slow compared to ours they spent most their time at our table....;)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
He was a very bad speaker and told me that he gets paid for each person he "recruits". His rap was bad and he did not know his material very well. One thing he made a point of was telling me all the NRA certifications he had. Seemed like he was trained to teach everything in the NRA instructor book. Must be an expensive hobby at the prices they charge.

Redbaron007

Let's be honest here. The NRA is not pro- OC because the general public still views it as atypical. While amazing strides have been made normalizing OC, it is still far from commonly accepted. The NRA is not going to get behind something they think may scare the general sheeple. There is also the fact they view it as decisive. We've all been on other gun centric sites and seen the general reaction when OC is brought up. I will say I have seen more and more acceptance for OC over the years, but there are still plenty who believe CC is the ONLY way to carry(and many of them belong to the NRA according to their signature line).

The NRA is the "old guard" plain and simple. They do not want to rock the boat on certain issues. The leave that to the newer gun rights groups like GOA and SAF, but don't think for a minute they won't sign on if it looks like some case is going to go our way and there will be good press to be had.

Agree....Although I'm not sure they are Old Guard.....more selective guard.

IMHO, the NRA is a political group. Therefore, they are generally going to follow the politics. OC is generally offensive to the sheeple from a political standpoint...subsequently, they don't want to make waves with OC, unless it has a great deal of upside for them. CC is easier to sell than OC, at least for right now.

Daylen

The NRA is not a homogenous top down organization. The top leadership is only fighting national issues. For local issues you have to get in contact with the local rep. It is also a member driven organization, so it doesn't care what you think if you are not a member. It is incorrect that they are pro-CC and anti-OC. Such is a local issue, if you want NRA to be pro-OC in your area then get involved with NRA in your area.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
..It is incorrect that they are pro-CC and anti-OC. Such is a local issue....

While they may not come out in the open as against OC, NRA's Personal Protection Outside the Home course teaches that a student's holster must conceal the sidearm. It doesn't even acknowledge OC as a legitimate method of carrying for self defense.

Last edited:

kurt555gs

I am an NRA member in Illinois. I am heavily in involved in 2A issues. I can say that the NRA in Illinois is decidedly anti open carry, not just agnostic. So is the ISRA, and " The Website That Shall Not Be Named ". I think they saw any mention of OC to be directly competing against and detrimental to the CC law that they wanted so much. As it turned out, they got a Chicago law HB183 that isn't even signed yet. Alienating the open carriers didn't help them one bit.

* Carthago Delenda Est *

Tackleberry1

I would agree that the NRA has it's "warts"... but...

It's resources also played a huge part in defeating BHO's "universal BGS's" last summer.

Are they a huge asset to the OC movement... NO

Are they a huge asset to the gun rights movement... YES

The enemy of my enemy is my Friend... at least until the fight is won.

This is why I have supported the NRA for 20+ years and will continue to do so.

Tack

nobama

Im an NRA member myself but I dont agree on the OC part that they dont recognize,yet, they do some good at big issues like the UN treaty.I dont know about anyone else but I cant just go to Washington for weeks and lobby against something like that. So they have a place, and I have noticed OC mentioned in some magazines of theirs.I do wish they would recognize OC more.

Silvertongue

Hickok45 said it best after the Sandy Hook shooting when he called the NRA imperfect.

Really, no organization is. However, they seem to have the highest ratio of good-to-evil that I have noticed.

So, for now, I need them.

kurt555gs

I will continue my NRA membership. They do many good things for firearms owners. I just wish Open Carry was higher on their priority list. The idea that CC as a privilege without OC as an underlying right is flawed in my opinion.

Carthago Delenda Est

Kryteon

I will continue my NRA membership. They do many good things for firearms owners. I just wish Open Carry was higher on their priority list. The idea that CC as a privilege without OC as an underlying right is flawed in my opinion.

Carthago Delenda Est

I find it amusing for people to whine about the NRA not supporting OC.

Bring up long guns and OCDO. See what happens.

I support the NRA.

I support any organization that fights for any part of my Second Amendment Right.

WalkingWolf

I find it amusing for people to whine about the NRA not supporting OC.

Bring up long guns and OCDO. See what happens.

I support the NRA.

I support any organization that fights for any part of my Second Amendment Right.

The NRA does not support any part of the Second Amendment Right, they support hunting, sport shooting, and recently self defense, almost all of it with a license or permit. They in no way support the right to bear arms for the purpose of the 2A.