Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Vacation

  1. #1
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382

    Vacation

    Hello,

    Quick question. I am headed to waterloo, ia to visit and was wondering if there are any updates to legal OC/cc beside having a permit? I have a WI ccw so should be fine there. The other thing is carry in a bar if I'm not drinking. I wasn't able to find any statues related to bars being prohibited unless posted like any other restricted area. In wi with a ccw I can conceal in a bar without drinking or open and drink with owner permission(though I wouldn't drink armed anyway).

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    In wi with a ccw I can conceal in a bar without drinking or open and drink with owner permission
    Wisconsin has one of the best carry laws and still it is abuse and misunderstood.

    Wisconsin Statutes Subsection 941.237(3)(cx) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d) [that's you SorAssey] ... is not consuming alcohol on the premises excepts a licensee from (2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

    Licensed under s. 175.60(1)(d) you can carry open or concealed in a Wisconsin tavern as long as you are not consuming alcohol. Under Subsection 941.237(3)(g) The possession or use of a handgun doesn't say open or concealed.

    I hope that you paid a bunch for your training, but you need to get your money back. If it was free then it was worth every penny.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Wisconsin has one of the best carry laws and still it is abuse and misunderstood.

    Wisconsin Statutes Subsection 941.237(3)(cx) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d) [that's you SorAssey] ... is not consuming alcohol on the premises excepts a licensee from (2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

    Licensed under s. 175.60(1)(d) you can carry open or concealed in a Wisconsin tavern as long as you are not consuming alcohol. Under Subsection 941.237(3)(g) The possession or use of a handgun doesn't say open or concealed.

    I hope that you paid a bunch for your training, but you need to get your money back. If it was free then it was worth every penny.
    ....Hes headed to Iowa......

    To the OP,
    There is no Iowa law that prohibits carry in a bar. Private property rules apply and if asked to leave you must do so under penalty of law. Signs on the door hold no weight of law, however you should respect PP owner rights.

    Open carry, concealed carry are both legal here.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.


    The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382

    Vacation

    Thanks tucker

  5. #5
    Regular Member Kromwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dubuque, Iowa
    Posts
    43
    You shouldnt have any issues with open carry in Waterloo. I do it regularly when I go to visit family there (I live in Dubuque).

    I even helped a friend move, and he lived right across the street from the Blackhawk Co Sheriff's Dept. I stood by my van for 10min, open carry with several squad cars going by and while I did get a few glances, none stopped.

    You can carry in a bar, that was changed I believe Jan 1, 2011 when they made changes to how CCW went from a may issue to shall issue.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromwell View Post
    You shouldnt have any issues with open carry in Waterloo. I do it regularly when I go to visit family there (I live in Dubuque).

    I even helped a friend move, and he lived right across the street from the Blackhawk Co Sheriff's Dept. I stood by my van for 10min, open carry with several squad cars going by and while I did get a few glances, none stopped.

    You can carry in a bar, that was changed I believe Jan 1, 2011 when they made changes to how CCW went from a may issue to shall issue.
    You've always been able to, the law change just stopped anti-freedom sheriffs from restricting their permits to "invalid where alcohol is sold" etc.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Kromwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dubuque, Iowa
    Posts
    43
    Actually it did change. I got my CCW in 1989, and you were not allowed to carry your weapon into any establishment that served alcohol.

  8. #8
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromwell View Post
    Actually it did change. I got my CCW in 1989, and you were not allowed to carry your weapon into any establishment that served alcohol.
    (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

    I'll go ahead and save him the time of trying to find it, since it isn't there. Here's are links to the official document signed by Governor Culver in 2010:
    https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/pubs...10.pdf#page=18

    Find SF2379 in that document and click the link, which leads to this:
    http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Legisl...ed/SF2379.html

  10. #10
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    I'll be more clear. Is there a cite to the statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromwell View Post
    Actually it did change. I got my CCW in 1989, and you were not allowed to carry your weapon into any establishment that served alcohol.
    I was under the impression that such a restriction would have been at the discretion of each of the 99 sheriffs, not statutory.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    I'll be more clear. Is there a cite to the statement: I was under the impression that such a restriction would have been at the discretion of each of the 99 sheriffs, not statutory.
    exactly

  12. #12
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    Well, amaixner and I appear to agree. Anybody have any information to the contrary? I'm genuinely interested. I'm not being snarky.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    Well, amaixner and I appear to agree. Anybody have any information to the contrary? I'm genuinely interested. I'm not being snarky.
    Nope. That's about right.

    The one thing that was a negative for us in the whole "media blowup" about Shall Issue was the carrying guns in bars. What the sheeple don't realize is that without the restriction from the sheriff, we could go to a bar, drink all day, and STILL BE LEGAL TO CARRY!! I still have reservations about the law allowing a .08, but a right is a right. The .gov should not police us. We must be allowed to police ourselves.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.


    The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

  14. #14
    Regular Member NewZealandAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb of Provo in UTAH
    Posts
    349

    hehe

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Wisconsin has one of the best carry laws and still it is abuse and misunderstood.

    Wisconsin Statutes Subsection 941.237(3)(cx) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d) [that's you SorAssey] ... is not consuming alcohol on the premises excepts a licensee from (2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class “B” or “Class B” license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

    Licensed under s. 175.60(1)(d) you can carry open or concealed in a Wisconsin tavern as long as you are not consuming alcohol. Under Subsection 941.237(3)(g) The possession or use of a handgun doesn't say open or concealed.

    I hope that you paid a bunch for your training, but you need to get your money back. If it was free then it was worth every penny.
    Hey Sorcice, he called you "Sorassey"
    (Dion Wood). MY FREEDOM PAGE[/COLOR] with valuable links to ALTERNATIVE MEDIA, Internet Radio shows and other sites to restore our FREEDOM & LIBERTYhttp://www.QRZ.com/db/KB9QFH TELEPHONE: +1(800)808-KIWI that's +1(800)808-5494 Tollfree. "NewZealander By Birth, American By The Grace Of God." See also http://www.facebook.com/NewZealandAmerican & http://RTR.org/NewZealandAmerican “IN MEMORY OF OUR GOD, OUR RELIGION, AND FREEDOM, AND OUR PEACE, OUR WIVES, AND OUR CHILDREN" (The Title Of LIBERTY)

  15. #15
    Regular Member RugarRev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by NewZealandAmerican View Post
    Hey Sorcice, he called you "Sorassey"
    Sorcice, I wouldn't give that boorish comment a second thought. Folks here in Iowa are much better mannered. Welcome and enjoy ... I know you will enjoy our little slice of heaven.

    RR

  16. #16
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    Already answered...
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 08-27-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.


    The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •