Thread: pistol purchase

pistol purchase

can any anwer this question? My sister lives in Virginia she has had her ccw about 8 months now. i payed for her ccw class and her permit but She has not been able to afford pistol. So can i purchase one and give it to her as a present even though she lives in Virginia and i live in NC ?

Quote Originally Posted by k Merck View Post
    can any anwer this question? My sister lives in Virginia she has had her ccw about 8 months now. i payed for her ccw class and her permit but She has not been able to afford pistol. So can i purchase one and give it to her as a present even though she lives in Virginia and i live in NC ?
    Save yourself the hassle and just giver her the money. Any handgun you purchase will need to go through a FFL from one state to another.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Save yourself the hassle and just giver her the money. Any handgun you purchase will need to go through a FFL from one state to another.
    thanks thats just what i thought. Although a ffl dealer here in Forest city told me i could

Quote Originally Posted by k Merck View Post
    WalkingWolf has given you some sound advice to keep you out of a possible conflict.

personally, i would go window shopping w/her in VA to assure she doesn't get an over eager salesman trying to dump a worthless piece of iron that isn't suitable for your sister use or anybody else for that matter...(yes yes, i know it isn't suppose to occur but...reality bites!!)

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    +1
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Not just handguns, ANY gun that has to cross state lines to go to a new owner has to go through an FFL, IIRC. I've heard it isn't really enforced that much on long guns, but better safe than sorry.

hey K. good answers by WABBIT and WW.

here is the way it works if you are interested. you will pick out a gun at a dealer in NC, or if you already have the gun. you then pick a dealer near your sister. they will probably charge you a transfer charge. 15- 50 dollars. you or the dealer, will ship the gun to the dealer near her. they will then do a check on her and she can then take possession of the firearm

tell her she didn't need a permit to carry. so tell her to carry and carry often
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

pistol purchase

I'd make sure she helps pick it out. That worries me more than gifting her one of your guns (even if you buy it very recently before the transfer.

Keeping in mind that you are not selling it, she is not buying it, and is just in possession of the gun. I do not advocate breaking laws, but the ATF web FAQ says:
    --
    Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
    A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    I'd make sure she helps pick it out. That worries me more than gifting her one of your guns (even if you buy it very recently before the transfer.

Keeping in mind that you are not selling it, she is not buying it, and is just in possession of the gun. I do not advocate breaking laws, but the ATF web FAQ says:
    --
    Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
    A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
    ---
    i am sure there is a cite that goes along w/this information cuz the atf's site is large??

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)