• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pistol purchase

k Merck

can any anwer this question? My sister lives in Virginia she has had her ccw about 8 months now. i payed for her ccw class and her permit but She has not been able to afford pistol. So can i purchase one and give it to her as a present even though she lives in Virginia and i live in NC ?

WalkingWolf

can any anwer this question? My sister lives in Virginia she has had her ccw about 8 months now. i payed for her ccw class and her permit but She has not been able to afford pistol. So can i purchase one and give it to her as a present even though she lives in Virginia and i live in NC ?

Save yourself the hassle and just giver her the money. Any handgun you purchase will need to go through a FFL from one state to another.

ncwabbit

WalkingWolf has given you some sound advice to keep you out of a possible conflict.

personally, i would go window shopping w/her in VA to assure she doesn't get an over eager salesman trying to dump a worthless piece of iron that isn't suitable for your sister use or anybody else for that matter...(yes yes, i know it isn't suppose to occur but...reality bites!!)

wabbit

autologic

Not just handguns, ANY gun that has to cross state lines to go to a new owner has to go through an FFL, IIRC. I've heard it isn't really enforced that much on long guns, but better safe than sorry.

papa bear

hey K. good answers by WABBIT and WW.

here is the way it works if you are interested. you will pick out a gun at a dealer in NC, or if you already have the gun. you then pick a dealer near your sister. they will probably charge you a transfer charge. 15- 50 dollars. you or the dealer, will ship the gun to the dealer near her. they will then do a check on her and she can then take possession of the firearm

tell her she didn't need a permit to carry. so tell her to carry and carry often

nonameisgood

I'd make sure she helps pick it out. That worries me more than gifting her one of your guns (even if you buy it very recently before the transfer.

Keeping in mind that you are not selling it, she is not buying it, and is just in possession of the gun. I do not advocate breaking laws, but the ATF web FAQ says:
--
Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
---

ncwabbit

I'd make sure she helps pick it out. That worries me more than gifting her one of your guns (even if you buy it very recently before the transfer.

Keeping in mind that you are not selling it, she is not buying it, and is just in possession of the gun. I do not advocate breaking laws, but the ATF web FAQ says:
--
Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
---

i am sure there is a cite that goes along w/this information cuz the atf's site is large??

wabbit