Thread: Open carry with CPL

Open carry with CPL

I have a CPL and I also openly carry. I have always wondered what legal problems could arise if I was openly carrying and wearing a waist length jacket that covered 50% (i.e. top half) of my gun. Am I in violation of concealed carry laws because part of my gun can be seen? Am I in violation of open carry laws because half of my gun is covered? Or neither? Thanks for your opinions.

My suggestion would be if you are open carrying open carry, not covering the gun at all. If you want to conceal the gun then cover it up totally, don't make a police officer try to make the decision whether your gun is open or concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvelous01 View Post
    I have a CPL and I also openly carry. I have always wondered what legal problems could arise if I was openly carrying and wearing a waist length jacket that covered 50% (i.e. top half) of my gun. Am I in violation of concealed carry laws because part of my gun can be seen? Am I in violation of open carry laws because half of my gun is covered? Or neither? Thanks for your opinions.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Open carry with CPL

Quote Originally Posted by mrvelous01 View Post
    You have a CPL. Don't worry about it.

I would consider this setup "concealed" though.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.