Thread: Colt 1911 destroying Brass

Angry Colt 1911 destroying Brass

wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me what is causing my colt 1911 100th anniversary keeps messing my brass up.

i can see on the brass where the ejector grobs the rim. and on the same side the ejector grabs its flatening the brass out on the projectile end.

any suggestions on fixing this problem would be greatly app.

thanks
    Rob

1. Don't shoot it any more with it in its current condition. I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you're on the verge of having a ruptured case. Not good.
    2. I would take it to a reputable gunsmith. From your description, I would bet that the fix is going to take some doing and some specialized tools.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

It sound like your slide is not fully retracting during recoil~~What ammo are you using?

I have seen this happen when people use loads too light, or the recoil spring is too stiff.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    It sound like your slide is not fully retracting during recoil~~What ammo are you using?

I have seen this happen when people use loads too light, or the recoil spring is too stiff.
    Agree - something is slowing the slide down - see above.

Clean and lube it, visually check, try it again.

Don't see a catastrophe in the making - the dinged brass is occurring after the projectile has left the cartridge.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Re: Colt 1911 destroying Brass

My kahr did something similar. I had it checked out and was told there was nothing wrong. Never had any issues with the gun.

Scott
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    My kahr did something similar. I had it checked out and was told there was nothing wrong. Never had any issues with the gun.

Scott
    ?? Can't connect those two thoughts
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post

Scott
    I don't think that's an uncommon problem with Kahrs. My K9 isn't particularly easy on brass, but it puts lead downrange just fine. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 03-18-2013 at 01:59 AM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Have your gunsmith check the extractor & ejector - tension may be out of spec.

A picture would help tremendously - we could move from blind speculation to informed speculation.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Try this site, not an endorsement, never heard of it until I Googled. This may answer your question. May not.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...tor-Adjustment

Asking your gunsmith to check your pistol is the best advise.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Try this site, not an endorsement, never heard of it until I Googled. This may answer your question. May not.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...tor-Adjustment

Asking your gunsmith to check your pistol is the best advise.
    Thanks for that link - excellent reference worth saving.

Banned
    I have a Springfield GI-45. I am assuming you "100th" anniversary model is stock bare bones like mine. The case mouth being bent in is due to the "stock" ejection port, more customized 1911 have a larger port and the slide doesn't hit the brass on it's way out.

I reload all my brass from that gun, the resizing die straightens it right out, the brass is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    I have a Springfield GI-45. I am assuming you "100th" anniversary model is stock bare bones like mine. The case mouth being bent in is due to the "stock" ejection port, more customized 1911 have a larger port and the slide doesn't hit the brass on it's way out.

I reload all my brass from that gun, the resizing die straightens it right out, the brass is fine.
    I have a milsurp slide on my 1911, and rarely have the problem of dinged brass, and when I do it is very slight marks. I have owned several south american colts at one time or another without the problem. There is little to go wrong with a 1911, especially a government model, I suspect the ammo he is using.

OP considering it is a 100 year model do not mess with the slide, Please! You can have a gunsmith change the ejector to the extended version which will kick your brass a little farther, and to the right away from your face. It might clear up your problem, I have it on mine because I don't like the occasional hot brass in the face.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-20-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    --snip--
    OP considering it is a 100 year model do not mess with the slide, Please!
    +1 - your grandchildren will curse you if you do

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Have your gunsmith check the extractor & ejector - tension may be out of spec.

A picture would help tremendously - we could move from blind speculation to informed speculation.

stay safe.
    1+ on all points.
    Spend the $$ and send it back to the factory with a few of the damaged casings and an explanation of what you observe, might also want to note what brand of ammo you are using.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin