• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colt 1911 destroying Brass

eagleye

wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me what is causing my colt 1911 100th anniversary keeps messing my brass up.

i can see on the brass where the ejector grobs the rim. and on the same side the ejector grabs its flatening the brass out on the projectile end.

any suggestions on fixing this problem would be greatly app.

thanks
Rob

SFCRetired

1. Don't shoot it any more with it in its current condition. I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you're on the verge of having a ruptured case. Not good.
2. I would take it to a reputable gunsmith. From your description, I would bet that the fix is going to take some doing and some specialized tools.

WalkingWolf

It sound like your slide is not fully retracting during recoil~~What ammo are you using?

I have seen this happen when people use loads too light, or the recoil spring is too stiff.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It sound like your slide is not fully retracting during recoil~~What ammo are you using?

I have seen this happen when people use loads too light, or the recoil spring is too stiff.

Agree - something is slowing the slide down - see above.

Clean and lube it, visually check, try it again.

Don't see a catastrophe in the making - the dinged brass is occurring after the projectile has left the cartridge.

skeith5

My kahr did something similar. I had it checked out and was told there was nothing wrong. Never had any issues with the gun.

Scott

Gil223

My kahr did something similar. I had it checked out and was told there was nothing wrong. Never had any issues with the gun.

Scott

I don't think that's an uncommon problem with Kahrs. My K9 isn't particularly easy on brass, but it puts lead downrange just fine. ;) Pax...

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Have your gunsmith check the extractor & ejector - tension may be out of spec.

A picture would help tremendously - we could move from blind speculation to informed speculation.

stay safe.

Jeff. State

Banned
I have a Springfield GI-45. I am assuming you "100th" anniversary model is stock bare bones like mine. The case mouth being bent in is due to the "stock" ejection port, more customized 1911 have a larger port and the slide doesn't hit the brass on it's way out.

I reload all my brass from that gun, the resizing die straightens it right out, the brass is fine.

WalkingWolf

I have a Springfield GI-45. I am assuming you "100th" anniversary model is stock bare bones like mine. The case mouth being bent in is due to the "stock" ejection port, more customized 1911 have a larger port and the slide doesn't hit the brass on it's way out.

I reload all my brass from that gun, the resizing die straightens it right out, the brass is fine.

I have a milsurp slide on my 1911, and rarely have the problem of dinged brass, and when I do it is very slight marks. I have owned several south american colts at one time or another without the problem. There is little to go wrong with a 1911, especially a government model, I suspect the ammo he is using.

OP considering it is a 100 year model do not mess with the slide, Please! You can have a gunsmith change the ejector to the extended version which will kick your brass a little farther, and to the right away from your face. It might clear up your problem, I have it on mine because I don't like the occasional hot brass in the face.

Last edited:

Marco

Have your gunsmith check the extractor & ejector - tension may be out of spec.

A picture would help tremendously - we could move from blind speculation to informed speculation.

stay safe.

1+ on all points.
Spend the $$ and send it back to the factory with a few of the damaged casings and an explanation of what you observe, might also want to note what brand of ammo you are using.