Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help get HB700 out of Committee

Help get HB700 out of Committee

Write, Call or Fax...Rep Pickett to get HB700 up for a vote!!!

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=79

It is pending. Unless Pickett brings it up for a vote it will die in committee...!!!

CALL 512-463-0133 ASK FOR MARY ANN.....I WAS TOLD IT MAY COME UP FOR A VOTE IN A FEW WEEKS....KEEP UP THE PRESSURE!!!

Z
    Last edited by zekester; 03-19-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Changed from tabled
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

I have called every person on the committee

I had one no vote...but he said he will vote yes to get it to the floor..

WRITE , CALL ...WHATEVER TO PICKETT....NOW!!!!!

No holster restrictions as of now......
    Last edited by zekester; 03-18-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Just got off the phone with Pickett

If we do not overwhelm this guy with phone calls and the like...it will never happen.....JMO

I will continue to put the pressure on.....but...without your help.....this is so dead!!

z
    Last edited by zekester; 03-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Please explain this a little further. Why does Pickett need to be called? Is he the only one who can make this move forward? Talk to me like I'm five years old please. I'm still learning the ins and outs of this process

It is not tabled, it was left pending, but regardless yes, Pickett and only Pickett still has to schedule it again so it can get a vote and get out to the floor.

The Texas Lege process puts a lot of hands in a very few all the way up until it hits the floor, if it hits the floor.

1) Bills are always sent to a committee first, where the committee chair alone has all the power to decide if it gets a committee hearing and vote. If he doesn't allow a hearing or vote, the bill is dead.
    2) If a bill doesn't die there, it goes out to the calendar committee, where that chair also has all the power. Calenders has to schedule a bill for a full House hearing. If they don't, the bill is dead.
    3) Only when it gets out on the Calendar does the entire 150 member House look at the bill (twice) and vote on it (twice).

Lots of members will play the game of supporting bills early on and putting their name on them all the while hoping they never actually have to vote on them.

And a whole state full of **sholes keeps voting for those members, year after year after year. Good game, Republicans. Thanks for our gun rights.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by zekester View Post
    Write, Call or Fax...Rep Pickett to get HB700 up for a vote!!!

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=79

It has been tabled. Unless Pickett brings it up for a vote it will die in committee...!!!

CALL 512-463-0133 ASK FOR MARY ANN.....I WAS TOLD IT MAY COME UP FOR A VOTE IN A FEW WEEKS....KEEP UP THE PRESSURE!!!

Z
    Thanks for the ino, I made contact and requested the bill be brought up for a vote.

"jblosser"...is correct....it is pending...sorry for the confusion

Just emailed Rep. Pickett asking for him to allow for HB700 to come up for a vote and be pushed out of committee.

That was easy. Just called the phone number and asked that HB700 be put up for a vote. Less than two minutes of my time.

I've called...

and it appears that H.B. 700 is not on the agenda for this Thursday. The chairman is reported to want to give the series of bills (campus carry & so on) more time to be discussed. Hopefully, it will bet on the agenda for Thursday next week so keep those calls and emails going and urge your friends to do the same.

Just my opinion.....but after my conversation with the office of Rep. Pickett, if we do not flood this gentleman with phone calls, fax and emails.....HB700 is as dead as rain is in south Texas.
    Last edited by zekester; 03-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.

I just got off the phone with Mary Ann and told her that I was urging Representative Pickett to hold a vote on HB700. She replied that there were a number of "related bills" that needed to be debated before a vote was taken on HB700. I asked her if she was referring to HB1194 by Paddie. She stated that it was, and she sounded as if she was ready to get me off the phone. I stated that I wasn't really in support of HB1194 but wanted her to pass on to Rep Pickett my desire to see a vote on HB700, she suddenly perked up and asked why I didn't support Paddie's bill, but was supporting Lavender's. I informed her that I liked the idea of a seperate 30.07 sign for OC and 30.06 being left alone for CC. Later on in our conversation, she wouldn't reveal if it was positive or negative, but she did let me know that HB700 was getting the most phone traffic..........................KEEP IT UP FOLKS!!!!!

I know a lot of folks on here have been frustrated with the NRA and TSRA for not actively supporting OC in past sessions. The political reality is that pro gun legislation needs the support of those organizations to get passed. Both organizations have gotten on board with the committee substitute for HB700. Any bill that amends 30.06, like HB1194 does, will not get the support of the NRA or TSRA. It's time for all of us to get behind HB700!! It has the broadest support, and thus far hasn't seen much opposition.

I also sent the following to Rep Pickett

Sir, I am a lifelong Texan and a regular voter as well as a supporter of political campaigns. I am a supporter of the second amendment and as such, I am urging you to bring to a vote the committee substitute for HB700 at the earliest time possible. Please allow this expansion if individual rights to get out of committee in a timely manner to allow a debate and vote on this in the full house.

As you know, Texas has a proud heritage that includes firearms. It is embarassing to be one of only a handful of states that differentiates a legally carried firearm and an illegally carried firearm based on the presence or absence of a peice of cloth.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I appreciate the opportunity to communicate directly with lawmakers in our state.

sent to pickett
    I am not in your district and am writing you in your capacity as chair of
    the Homeland Security & Public Safety committee.

I urge you to ensure that the committee substitute of HB700 by Rep Lavender
    is given high priority in committee vote to be heard on the floor. I am
    strongly in favor of this bill now that the retention holster requirement
    has been removed and the changes relating to 30.06 and 30.07 have been
    included. While I am also in favor of passage of HB1194 by Paddie, I
    believe HB700 is far more important.

Of course recovering our rights to have an effective means of self defense
    in what are currently "designated victim zones" is also of great importance
    and bills such as HB706 and especially HB972 should be given similar
    priority.

Thanks,

Thnks to everyone!!!!

Keep it up...!!!!

Pressure...pressure and more pressure!!!!!!!!

Keep it up...!!!!

Pressure...pressure and more pressure!!!!!!!!
    Just made my phone call, took me all of 3 minutes. Mary Ann was very nice to talk to.

Britt

Thumbs up Help get HB700 out of committee

Quote Originally Posted by 428Bird View Post
    Just made my phone call, took me all of 3 minutes. Mary Ann was very nice to talk to.

Britt
    I called, Mary Ann was in a meeting, I did talk to a young man and asked him to convey
    that it was HB700 that was the preferred bill, and I would like for HB700 to come up for vote!
    Kind Regards,
    Charlie47
    Last edited by Charlie47; 03-20-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Keep it up!!!

Keep the phone calls, emails and faxes going!!!....It is working...but we can't stop now!!!

Keep the phone calls, emails and faxes going!!!....It is working...but we can't stop now!!!
    I got mine in and got my list of 2a friends to do so and now they are working on their list
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

got called by one of my friends ..said that he is having a hard time getting through ...phone is always busy , but he will keep trying
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

Campaign Veteran
    I checked the Homeland Security calendar for this Thursday, neither HB700 or HB1194 are on the agenda. I talked to Lavender via Facebook, he said it is normal for a bill to sit in committee for a while and be heard again before it moves.
    Last edited by tejasx; 03-26-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Last chance to do this!!!!

Just got off the phone with Rep Lavenders office....

Paddie has withdrawn his bill....

HB700, if it is not on the agenda for next thursday.....it will most likely die!!!

Pressure.....pressure and more pressure!!!!

Z

TSRA/NRA supported bills pending in the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee

The TSRA/NRA supported bills pending in the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee are Campus Carry HB 972 by Committee Vice-Chairman Allen Fletcher, HB 1077 and HB 1078 (parts of the campus carry issue) by Representative Tim Kleinschmidt, a committee member, HB 700 (licensed open carry) by Representative George Lavender, a committee member, and HB 47 (reducing the number of classroom hours for the CHL course) by Representative Dan Flynn, also a committee member.

To contact the committee members just follow this link and click on the photograph/name of each of the committee members. http://www.house.state.tx.us/committ...420&session=83

Chairman Pickett sets the agenda, so it is important to contact him requesting that these bills be brought up for a vote quickly. http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=79

As Representative Lavender's staff reminds everyone, please keep it polite and to the point.

A bill that was filed the day before the last day to file bills is HB HB 3218 http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...l/HB03218I.htm looks pretty interesting. It appears to allow CHL holders to carry most any place a Peace Officer can carry. Charles Cotton who runs the texas CHL website appears to be involved in its drafting and submission. You can take a look at some remarks about it on his website. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtop...?f=125&t=64170 As it was filed on the next to last day bills could be filed there has not been any action on it as yet. I have no idea how much support it may have, but it is interesting.

I do not know whether HB 3218 has TSRA/NRA support as it was filed at the last minute and our organizations are rather busy with the bills I mentioned first. It's important to get them voted out of committee ASAP so they have a chance of getting to the senate with enough time to be passed.

Anyone in El Paso is especially encouraged to contact Chairman Pickett and let him know their support for the bills pending in his committee.

Please spread the word!

Thanks
    Last edited by Rogue Warrior; 04-03-2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Typo

OK.....One more time

Looks as if Pickett is getting the message,,,,,but not enough.....I was told today that Lavender is pushing his hardest to get this up for a vote....He is personally going to talk to picket after the session today to push HB700...he was told it would come up for a vote this week but Pickett did not put it on the agenda....Lavender also told me that they have enough votes in the house to pass.....but, if you really want OC in Texas......get after Pickett now!!!!

512-463-0133....Mary Ann.....
    Last edited by zekester; 04-04-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast