• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question from handicapped maybe some feedback please

OC for ME

Tough spot to be in. I have no answer to your questions. I do recommend that you contact a local attorney and see if he will provide some free advice that is specific to your general area.

Good luck and welcome to OCDO.

transam86

in return

sir thank you for the reply and for the welcoming.yes im in one hell of a scenario and in a league by myself sadly. I will consult an attorney but also i do hope to get more feedback on my topic. Im wonderng how many others on this forum maybe are handicapped or partially handicapped and what they do . I look foreward to more replys

jeeper1

I am a lot like you in that I can't walk more than a few yards. I am a lot heavier than you but still have the positional breathing problems.
If I fall (and it happened most recently on 2-22) I have to call the para-medics to help pick me up. I have shoulder problems that prevent me from drawing a gun from a hip holster.
For that reason I carry cross-draw OC or CC. One of the things I like about that is when I am on one of my mobility scooters both my hands are just inches from my gun making for a faster draw.
FWIW I am left handed also. That means I can still operate my scooter, trying to get away, while still holding my gun in my dominant hand. Maybe a mobility scooter would be off help to you and I don't mean a powered wheel chair.

Talesman

Two things, maybe three.

First, it may have been wiser to have posted this in the Florida section. It probably would have better/wider readership.

Second, forums are monitored by all sorts of folks and agencies whose agenda(s) are unknown to us. It would be best, in some instances, to not talk in the first-person.

Instead of "me or "I" try "my neighbor (or best friend/brother-in-law) has this problem or affliction." Otherwise you may be inadvertently admitting to being in violation of 790.06 (2) (c) Does not suffer from a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a weapon or firearm;

I know that it would be remote but it could come back to haunt if there was ever a problem and someone subpoenaed your computer records or demanded knowledge of your on-line persona's.

I wish I had even a remotely cogent answer for the dilemma you face but I don't and wouldn't even know where to start. I do wish you well and could only suggest trying your level best to not be in a situation where you may be told to prone out (or worse). Far, far easily said then done. Good luck and best wishes.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm not quite as badly stove in as you describe yourself to be. At least I can stay on my feet (for a while). If I go to the ground I'm going to need assistance getting back up. And a few more things, but this is not a contest to see who is the most crippled.

Starting with dealing with cops - most of the time I see them demanding instant compliance and taking whatever action they feel is warranted to hurry you along in complying with whatever "instructions" they are giving you. Best advice I can give is to hope for the best. I do not see them accepting your statement that you are crippled just because you say so. If they tell you to get on the ground and you can on your back but not on your belly, do that and keep repeating you are a cripple that cannot get on your belly. Make like a snow angel and spread arms and feet as far as you can. If you are going to get cuffed they are probably going to want to roll you over so they can get your hands behind you. Have the name of a good personal injury attorney who will take your recording of the event (you do run a voice recorder whenever you step out of the house, right?) and file suit for your pain and suffering. Either that, or avoid situations where you will be interacting with cops who want you on the ground.

I know, what can you do when you have just defensively used your handgun? Hopefully yo are the first one to call 9-1-1, which makes you the "victim". You can then tell the dispatcher to advise arriving unit od your disabilities, limitations and exceeding desire to comply with what orders/instruction you can within the limitatrions of your condition. Again, that gives you a recording of your stated intent, but by no means guarantees the cops will want to or know how to deal with your disabilities.

A good portion of why I OC is to announce to potential BGs that they do run some risk if they pick me in the victim selection process. So far, with the exfeption of liberal/hoplophobic idjits in a few stores who decided to accost me with (literally) arm-waving rantings about how illegal, immoral, fattening, and unsafe my presence was and how I "made" them feel insecure, I have not had anybody fail to heed the notice. ::knocks on wood, rubs rabbit's foot, fondles 4-leaf clover::

The one time a cop (well, a courtroom bailiff from the sheriff's department) told me I had to let go of my cane before he would do the required pat-down, I walked over to the nearest convenient wall, handed my cane to a companion, and assumed the position. I got an earful about whether or not I was a wise@ss. I calmly, but loudly enough for everybody in the lobby to hear, stated that I was handicapped, could not stand without a cane or other support, and was doing my best to comply with his orders in spite of his acting like a cossack. It was the fastest, most cursory patdown I havve ever experienced or otherwise witnessed.

My point, generally, is to have an idea of how you want to act in trying to comply with police instructions you cannot carry out exactly as they desire because of your physical disabilities and the limitations they create.

There are a few other crips that frequent OCDO. I'll ask them to weigh in.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
FWIW I am left handed also. That means I can still operate my scooter, trying to get away, while still holding my gun in my dominant hand. Maybe a mobility scooter would be off help to you and I don't mean a powered wheel chair.

1 - do not mock my power chair! Depending on the terrain I should be able to at least keep up with you. On flat, smooth surface I might even beat you. Plus, I can out-turn you every time.:D

2 - I am a righty. All I had to do was ask that the joystick be on the left side. I also asked for an additional 4 inches of width on the seat to give me plenty of clearance to draw from my holster at 3 o'clock. For the record, I was fitted for the chair while carrying, and demonstrated why I wanted the extra width (no, I did not actually draw, just put my hand in the vicinity and then brought it back out, still empty). I have no idea how that's going to go if I ever get a chair from the VA.

stay safe.

transam86

mark some awesome advice. trust me pal i have absoloutly no intentions in putting myself in a leo predicament sir. But as the saying goes **** happens. If it ever did happen that I had a leo encounter ide do as much as i can to meet there demands . If my gun was to ever come out it would be in a defensive way and absoloutly ide call the p.d. and let them know the details. Still c.c. here in florida so they say accidental brief exposure is permissible so far so good. I keep as concealed as I can but usualy in a button up shirt and we all know how that can go mark. If I was asked to get on the ground? Ide do so in the order I can do very slowly on my hands and knees then stomache up . Ide give noone any reason to second guess me or my intentions. If they wished to frisk me then ide ask permission to use there car for support. I follow all aspects of hte carry law here in florida and hopefully ill never have an encounter AND PRAY THEY PASS O.C IN FLORIDA

jeeper1

1 - do not mock my power chair! Depending on the terrain I should be able to at least keep up with you. On flat, smooth surface I might even beat you. Plus, I can out-turn you every time.
I'm not mocking powered wheelchairs. They're designed for flat surfaces with primary use indoors with very limited cargo carrying capacity meaning you can't bring home a weeks worth of groceries on it. Granted you have me on turning radius but that is it.
This is what I started with before adding extras to it. Check out its top speed and range. I quadrupled the storage area.
http://palmerind.com/electric/independ.php

HeroHog

Me
speedyswheels.jpg

Note: Gun plainly visible and within easy reach and easy to protect. Also easy to disengage from by setting my bag aside should I need to. I missed your initial post so I am not sure what was asked...

OC for ME

I'm not mocking powered wheelchairs. They're designed for flat surfaces with primary use indoors with very limited cargo carrying capacity meaning you can't bring home a weeks worth of groceries on it. Granted you have me on turning radius but that is it.
This is what I started with before adding extras to it. Check out its top speed and range. I quadrupled the storage area.

Needs more chrome, lots more chrome, and some of those undercarriage lights.....neon blue undercarriage lights. Head busting sound system too. Though, a suspension upgrade may be required. Big tires and a lift kit too.

Man, I could have a lot of fun tricking one of those things out.

transam86

Me
speedyswheels.jpg

Note: Gun plainly visible and within easy reach and easy to protect. Also easy to disengage from by setting my bag aside should I need to. I missed your initial post so I am not sure what was asked...
i posted a question in reguards to handicapped. but i deleated it for a good reason as told in a reply. but awesome photo and i love the gun set up my friend. Where was this photo taken with the gun visable what state? i just answerd my own question looking at your information. i sure as hell hope they pass open carry here in florida. can someone tell my why we lost open carry 26 years ago please?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

http://tankchair.net/store

http://www.planetmobility.com/store/wheelchairs/power/allterain/index.html

And why would I want to expose myself to the elements when I can drive to the store, roll out the chair to shop http://www.amsvans.com/mobility-equ...s/bruno-vsl-4000hw-joey-platform-vehicle-lift , and drive home again, all in climate-controlled comfort?

Can you use your trike in the house? Can you get it in elevators in the statehouse/city hall?

The point being, different strokes for different folks with different needs.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get the VA to agree to a tank chair. First addition I'd make is a soundtrack combining the sound of steel treads clanking and "Ride of the Valkires". Bet folks would not stop in the middle of the hallway to gossip when they heard that coming.:D

BTW - nice-looking ride. Are you going to add a beach umbrella? Oops! I see you already have. http://palmerind.com/accessories/parts.php

stay safe.

Last edited: