• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions for Open Carry

221B_Baker

Hello everyone,
I am unfortunately very naive when it comes to guns, despite being born and raised here in Arizona. However, I've read up on laws and would just like some clarification.

Because of my age, I cannot yet apply for a CCW so my questions are for open carry laws:

-Do you receive some kind of card or permit for open carry, or do you just need documentation of a legal purchase of a handgun (or not?)?
-How does open carry work in a vehicle? I have read that as long as it’s in view (and unloaded?) or secure in say the trunk it’s ok? (My glove box in the front has a lock on it, would that be ok?)
On a side note, I’ll be looking for a handgun for purchase, and again have no idea what kind to buy. I am a female, and although I know that it will take time to learn how to keep steady regardless of gender, a smaller and lighter sidearm would be preferable.
Sorry for my ignorance, please feel free to add anything you think is relevant that I should know! 

Phoenix David

Greetings, a Sherlock Holmes fan I presume.

1. There is no permit issued or required for open carry and no proof of ownership is required

Instead of me writing it up here is a prior thread that may answer a lot of questions: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?82349-AZ-open-carry and here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?92057-Rules-and-regs-for-open-carry-in-AZ

A smaller lighter gun is not necessarily better, they tend to be harder to control and more felt recoil.

My recommendation would to try out a bunch of different ones and see which one fits you better.

FreeInAZ

From the links that phx.david posted:
Welcome to Arizona!

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions;

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely, but if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:

Thanks Fred!

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems during your stay, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or a question about the caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

FreeInAZ

Phx.david also gave good advice on pistol selection. Try to hold as many as you can to see what fits & feels good in your hand. Of those make a list and try to find a range that rents them all if you can. My wife has four pistols and shoots them all well. But a pistol is for defense first, so make sure you buy something that you can carry comfortably on a daily basis. You'll hear "you need xyz caliber gun or bigger to stop a bad guy...." while this may be somewhat valid - if you buy a gun then end up leaving it at home...what's the point? My wifes daily carry is a 32acp it is small & light but with the right ammo selection(FMJ) has more penetrating power than the 380acp many carry today with about 20-25% less recoil. Not sure where you are at but if you are near Scottsdale - check out scottsdale gun club. They carry a wide varity of rental guns & offer training classes.