• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is/has YOUR legislator been involved in secret meetings regarding anti-gun discussion

davidmcbeth

Banned
Mine has .... I found out ...

Legislators cannot meet behind closed doors to discuss possible gun laws ~ that's against the law in every state (and US Congress) that I know of ..

In my state, I found the highest ranking democrat being involved in numerous secret meetings ....

Do a records/FOI request and seek out records of any meeting from your legislators ...

Find out ... make it known to the public ... not only does it hurt them, it hurts the anti-gun legislation that they support

mpguy

Re: Is/

Mine has .... I found out ...

Legislators cannot meet behind closed doors to discuss possible gun laws ~ that's against the law in every state (and US Congress) that I know of ..

In my state, I found the highest ranking democrat being involved in numerous secret meetings ....

Do a records/FOI request and seek out records of any meeting from your legislators ...

Find out ... make it known to the public ... not only does it hurt them, it hurts the anti-gun legislation that they support

So what do you do to report it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just to yank the OP's chain -

How would we know, if it was a secret meeting?

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just to yank the OP's chain -

How would we know, if it was a secret meeting?

stay safe.

If was not noticed AT ALL as required by state law, then its a secret meeting.

Its called WORK ... get off your butt or quit whining about your gun rights being taken away.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
So, David, did you report the violation of the open meeting laws?

stay safe.

Yes I did .... I have 5 counts in 2 separate cases pending before my state's reviewing body. One does not "report"; one files a complaint ... in my state.

And no, I am not looking up other state law ...

Some states have a no-cost, pro-se friendly way of filing such complaints....

You can always report it to your local media and see if they pick up on it ... but provide them some level of proof ...

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ok. At least provide a cite for this claim.

In the case Ansonia Library Bd. of Dirs. v. FOIC, 42 Conn. Supp. 84 (1991) the court found that a meeting between even 2 members of a large member committee is considered a meeting which would trigger the Freedom of Information Act’s open meeting provisions.

This is for my state ...

eye95

MWSY, those laws you cite refer to official actions. These guys can still meet over a drink or have dinner or ride in an elevator and discuss their opinions on anything. If it is an official deliberation or an official vote or other official business, then it must be done in the open. I don't know what the specifics of the OP's gripe is (nor do I care). I am just pointing out that things are not as black-and-white as some would have us believe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
MWSY, those laws you cite refer to official actions. These guys can still meet over a drink or have dinner or ride in an elevator and discuss their opinions on anything. If it is an official deliberation or an official vote or other official business, then it must be done in the open. I don't know what the specifics of the OP's gripe is (nor do I care). I am just pointing out that things are not as black-and-white as some would have us believe.

Most states have even lunch or drinks together is no allowed....eye does not cite any case law .. soooo I recommend one examining this state law do so.

eye95

In the case Ansonia Library Bd. of Dirs. v. FOIC, 42 Conn. Supp. 84 (1991) the court found that a meeting between even 2 members of a large member committee is considered a meeting which would trigger the Freedom of Information Act’s open meeting provisions.

This is for my state ...

Please provide a link for that case. In the form you have cited the title, it is nearly impossible to find any information on it, and the information available seems to indicated that the primary thrust of the ruling is not as presented.

eye95

Most states have even lunch or drinks together is no allowed....eye does not cite any case law .. soooo I recommend one examining this state law do so.

The law to which I am referring is the law that MWSY cited. It specifically uses the word "official" to refer to the business and the meetings subject to sunshine. I suggest that you also look at the definition of "meeting" in that law. If you insist, I can repost the links.

I would note the MWSY posted links to the law he is citing and that a certain other poster posted an impossible to find case reference without a link.

eye95

The complete caption is
Ansonia Library Bd. of Dirs. v. FOIC, 42 Conn. Sup. 84, 600 A.2d 1058 (1991) It is likely that Connecticut Supplement is copyright closely held.

If he is truly personally familiar with the case and is not just blindly passing it along, he can link us to the text.

Not hopeful.