• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Youngstown OC event

Troy bilt

Well it's not Spring yet, but I have been thinking all Winter about the OC incident that took place in The City of Youngstown with Michael Porschien. I myself had 2 very interesting telephone conversations with the Youngstown Police Dep. The 1st conversation I had was with Internal Affairs. This man told me that you could not carry in a city park, and if you did you would be arrested. The second conversation I had was with the Chief. This conversation did not go so well. The chief told me that if his officers did not stop, search, and ID someone walking around with a gun that officer would be reprimanded.

I would like to have some form of meet and great in Youngstown. What if any would you think would go over well.
#1 OC walk
#2 meet and great at a city park Bar-B-Q / pot luck ( Hell I would invite the Chief myself )
#3 some sort of OC public service, pick up trash, fix up a park, get a baseball field ready for spring ball for the kids.

Im very new to this, and do not live anywhere near Youngstown but I will do what I can to make some sort of get together a good one.

eye95

We very definitely need to get these guys on tape promising to break the law. Then, if they do, qualified immunity is pierced, and they are personally liable for money from their own bank accounts. We can even let their insurance companies know of their plans, so those companies can notify those particular officers that they are not covered if they plan in advance to violate the Rights of citizens.

Troy bilt

We very definitely need to get these guys on tape promising to break the law. Then, if they do, qualified immunity is pierced, and they are personally liable for money from their own bank accounts. We can even let their insurance companies know of their plans, so those companies can notify those particular officers that they are not covered if they plan in advance to violate the Rights of citizens.

So I need to find out which company the city is insured by and let them know that the Chief of Police plans on breaking the law toward OC'ers and that we plan on holding them accountable?

What if the city is self insured?

Last edited:

Green Machine

I believe NEO Open Carry is planning to do an OC walk in either April or May. So may get in contact with them, I'm sure they'd appreciate help.

MyWifeSaidYes

As you may know, on one of his trips back to the courthouse, Michael Porchien was denied access to the building because he was wearing an empty holster.

I suggest part of the day be spent going into the courthouse with empty holsters, preferably with video/audio recorders running.

Troy bilt

I believe NEO Open Carry is planning to do an OC walk in either April or May. So may get in contact with them, I'm sure they'd appreciate help.

No disrespect, but I think there is there is a lot more support, and knowledge of OC here on OC.org than NEO has I welcome there help on this form.

Troy bilt

As you may know, on one of his trips back to the courthouse, Michael Porchien was denied access to the building because he was wearing an empty holster.

I suggest part of the day be spent going into the courthouse with empty holsters, preferably with video/audio recorders running.

A morning in court, a walk to the park, and a Bar-B-Q with some Ohio made DB Yummers.

Would be great for a family gig at the park kids and family meet later in the day at the park, games, prizes, good times for all.

MyWifeSaidYes

If NEO already has plans for an event in Youngstown, we should check that schedule so we don't divide our efforts. Those guys are new, but they is us. :p

FYI and IIRC, there is a pay parking lot ($2 or $3) a block away from the courthouse.

Any idea of what park we might walk to and where it's located?

Troy bilt

If NEO already has plans for an event in Youngstown, we should check that schedule so we don't divide our efforts. Those guys are new, but they is us. :p

FYI and IIRC, there is a pay parking lot ($2 or $3) a block away from the courthouse.

Any idea of what park we might walk to and where it's located?

I wish not to divide efforts. I will contact NEO tomorrow. I just want to try to help make efforts better. I think that we can do better than just a walk. I think we can have more fun than just going to court. I would like to see a morning in court. A walk to a park. A family friendly B-B-Q with sac races, ballon tosses, egg race.

If that does not sound good lets do something for the residents of Youngstown. Clean a park, paint some playground equipment. Lets have some fun.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

I'm all for a day-long event. There are always some folks who can only attend for an hour or two throughout the day, so planning a 9-to-5 (or longer) event would be a great idea. While the turnout at any one point may not be large, the quantity of people that can be involved is maximized.

When I was up there for MP's suppression hearing, I didn't get to spend any time in the area except for a brief stop at the library to check my email. It's a 3-hour drive, so I won't be much help with local planning or organizing, but I can be there all day on the day of the event. If you can point out a park I can find on a map, I may be able to offer suggestions (where to walk, where to visit, where to get our pictures taken by the media, etc.)

Wait to invite the police department until we are at the park.

Once you decide on a date, you may want to invite folks from OFCC, but they have hoops to jump thru to post an event. It might be worthwhile. Also mention this on BFA and OhioOC.

eye95

I did not. That will not happen again. Like I said I'm a Newb.:banghead:

Any chance of contacting these guys again and getting them to repeat their intent to break the law?

So I need to find out which company the city is insured by and let them know that the Chief of Police plans on breaking the law toward OC'ers and that we plan on holding them accountable?

That is what I am proposing, hopefully after you get them on tape stating their intent.

What if the city is self insured?

We would be suing the officers as individuals, not the city. Under St. John, the city and the PD were found not liable. It was the individual officer's immunity that was pierced. However, if the city is insuring the officers against liability, then the mayor and city council need to be informed. That is probably actually best, because I'd rather that these rogues be instructed to stop violating the rights of the People than someone gets a chunk of coin after being rousted. Also, if the city is put on notice and STILL does not stop the chief, who knows, maybe their immunity can be pierced too!

BriKuz

Funny, but my wife and I had no issues the last two times we went to Y-Town... though we only saw two or three officers between the two visits... it was too cold for to be hauling the baby girl around for too long... Anyhow, here's hoping we can get something going BEFORE June, as my wife is due then, and she doesn't want to be 2 hours from our hospital and OB that late in her pregnancy...

RCall

I think this is a great idea.

MyWifeSaidYes

RCall, if you're coming, I may have to ask you to pick up a couple Fat Boyz pizzas for me.

Don't worry. They're good cold.

:)

RCall

RCall, if you're coming, I may have to ask you to pick up a couple Fat Boyz pizzas for me.

Don't worry. They're good cold.

:)

As long as its not the first or third weekend of May I plan on attending. I can pick up the pizzas but can't promise they will still be around by the time I get there. I can't even promise they will be around by the time they get cold.

eye95

If I can make it that day, I call shotgun in the pizza delivery vehicle!

Wait...Do I have to actually own a shotgun?

Last edited: